Cardozo vs Brooklyn vs Rutgers-Newark vs Hofstra(with 20K)? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Cardozo vs Brooklyn Vs Rutgers-Newark, all sticker?

Cardozo
31%
Brooklyn
13%
Rutgers-Newark
42%
Hofstra (20K)
13%

Total votes: 113

lawfreak

Bronze

Re: Cardozo vs Brooklyn vs Rutgers-Newark vs Hofstra(with 20K)?

Post by lawfreak » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:33 pm

Btw, it seems like everyone who stated their opinion here said that if I must choose one of these amazing law schools, I should go with Rutgers and that Cardozo at sticker is a terrible idea. I'm just wondering who the other 35% of voters on this thread were that voted for Cardozo at sticker?

I should also clarify that I just received my scholarship from Hofstra in the mail and it is 25k a year. 54k in debt doesn't sound that bad to me.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:35 pm

lawfreak wrote:Btw, it seems like everyone who stated their opinion here said that if I must choose one of these amazing law schools, I should go with Rutgers and that Cardozo at sticker is a terrible idea. I'm just wondering who the other 35% of voters on this thread were that voted for Cardozo at sticker?

I should also clarify that I just received my scholarship from Hofstra in the mail and it is 25k a year. 54k in debt doesn't sound that bad to me.
I guess not. Just realize you won't be getting biglaw.

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:42 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
lawfreak wrote:Btw, it seems like everyone who stated their opinion here said that if I must choose one of these amazing law schools, I should go with Rutgers and that Cardozo at sticker is a terrible idea. I'm just wondering who the other 35% of voters on this thread were that voted for Cardozo at sticker?

Unless I am in the top 5 - 10% of my class, which I definitely see as do-able, especially with easier competition at a place like Hofstra. I was top of my class in undergrad so I don't see what the difference will be here. Once again, I perform well in school. I just have some mental blockage when it comes to the LSAT.

Another possibilty is to start out in a place like Hofstra and then transfer to Columbia or something similar. I know someone who did that from Hofstra.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:58 pm

lawfreak wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

Unless I am in the top 5 - 10% of my class, which I definitely see as do-able, especially with easier competition at a place like Hofstra. I was top of my class in undergrad so I don't see what the difference will be here. Once again, I perform well in school. I just have some mental blockage when it comes to the LSAT.

Another possibilty is to start out in a place like Hofstra and then transfer to Columbia or something similar. I know someone who did that from Hofstra.
Undergrad isn't anything like law school. Just look at your LSAT score and realize that your performance in undergrad isn't predictive of anything law school related.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:11 pm

lawfreak wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

:shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:15 pm

rman1201 wrote:
lawfreak wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

:shock:
Two thoughts:

1. That move has actually happened a few times from what I've gathered. However, even if you were #1 in your class it would be so far from a sure thing.

2. Shit's about to go down in this thread.

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:20 pm

I voted Cardozo at sticker because I think you deserve it. Plus, given that you're really good at school, were the toppest at your undergrad and that will = top 5-10% of your ls class, you will almost certainly get BigLaw from Cardozo.

No haters on this forum will bring you (or your debt) down.

funkyturds

New

Post by funkyturds » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:29 pm

I think we've done everything we can for this guy. Let him do his thing.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:34 pm

Why do you continuously ask for advice and continuously shoot down anything that doesnt involve "go to cardozo". It looks like you have your heart set on it and you're just looking for validation. If thats the case then go with christ brah.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:15 pm

Undergrad isn't anything like law school. Just look at your LSAT score and realize that your performance in undergrad isn't predictive of anything law school related.
Listen up hose-brain, my SAT score was not in any way predictive of my undergrad performance either! I hope you rot in a pile of dung for all eternity!!!!

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:18 pm

lawfreak wrote: Listen up hose-brain, my SAT score was not in any way predictive of my undergrad performance either! I hope you rot in a pile of dung for all eternity!!!!
--ImageRemoved--

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:18 pm

Elaborate flame? Either way, this thread should be taken out back and put out of its misery.

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:20 pm

I don't know about you Shrek, but the above quotation doesn't sound to me like a guy who only wants to hear things encouraging him to go to Cardozo.

In regards to your complaint about me "shooting down any advice given to me", apparently you have kept your head in the earth like an Ostrich your whole life, because the words "playing devil's advocate" don't seem to be a part of your very extensive vernacular.

If you don't like what I'm posting on my thread, then don't read it and hit the road Jack.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:47 pm

lawfreak wrote:
I don't know about you Shrek, but the above quotation doesn't sound to me like a guy who only wants to hear things encouraging him to go to Cardozo.
Fill me in here. Can you live at home when you go to Hofstra? What are your employment prospects without lawl school? Remember that tuition will increase by ~$2k per year (2k + 4k + 6k = 12k) so you should account for that ($66k, not $54k) in your debt figure even if you can live with parents.

Go in knowing that your Big Law chances are slim and none. 1 in 15 or whatever does not make for great odds. Big Law is extremely overrated though, maybe you should stop aspiring to it from Hofstra... even if you could get that "golden ticket", would you want to work 80 hours a week for some dick you probably don't like at all and who probably doesn't like you either?

There's a reason that Big Law has such high attrition. It's not what people think it will be. It's having no time but to work and sleep, while your wife/girlfriend spends your "$160k" and later divorces you after having an affair whilst you are at work from 8 am to 11 pm. She'll get all the assets from income you earned between 8 am and 3:30 pm. The rest is all yours, just as if you worked 40 hours like a regular person. Yay!

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:06 pm

imbored25 wrote:3 out of the top 7 richest counties in the country are in Jersey
Would you want to live in, say, Princeton? A professor of mine once called Princeton the "most politically dead" campus he'd ever taught at. Maybe when I'm 60 I'll buy a nice house in Alpine, but until then...

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:18 pm

lawfreak wrote:Which would you recommend in terms of job prospects, especially in NYC and possibly for NJ? All are sticker aside from Hofstra just in case you didn't notice, so tuition is obviously a factor as well.

Oh, and if you're going to respond anything along the lines of "retake or "re-aplly" then please don't waste your time and mine.

Thank you
Dude, if your GPA is as high as you say it is, you're wasting it. Your LSAT is pretty low, but not laughable. You've received good advice. Even if you study your ass off for a year and can't go higher than the mid-160s, a 165, with your GPA, will get you into almost any school outside the T14, with some $$$ possibly, and a decent chance at the bottom half or so of the T14. You seem to want NYC-you'd have a great shot at Fordham-which isn't a free ticket to BigLaw but places much, much better than these other schools. If you really, really, really, study your ass off and hit a 170, you will get into any non T6. Higher than that, and you can go virtually wherever you want. What's the hurry?

lawfreak

Bronze

Post by lawfreak » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:31 pm

Dude, if your GPA is as high as you say it is, you're wasting it. Your LSAT is pretty low, but not laughable. You've received good advice. Even if you study your ass off for a year and can't go higher than the mid-160s, a 165, with your GPA, will get you into almost any school outside the T14, with some $$$ possibly, and a decent chance at the bottom half or so of the T14. You seem to want NYC-you'd have a great shot at Fordham-which isn't a free ticket to BigLaw but places much, much better than these other schools. If you really, really, really, study your ass off and hit a 170, you will get into any non T6. Higher than that, and you can go virtually wherever you want. What's the hurry?
Thanks for the advice but I already said earlier in this thread that I took the lsat to the max with a cancel in there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:34 pm

lawfreak wrote:
Thanks for the advice but I already said earlier in this thread that I took the lsat to the max with a cancel in there.
You, sir, are a despicable disgrace to the profession of law. I hope to never run into the likes of yourself within the confines of a courtroom facility! Rot in hell vile scum!

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:36 pm

lawfreak wrote:
I'm not trying to troll you, bro. I legitimately don't like the thought of someone selling themselves short. If you can get a 3.95 in a math major you can nail the LSAT.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:38 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
lawfreak wrote:
I'm not trying to troll you, bro. I legitimately don't like the thought of someone selling themselves short. If you can get a 3.95 in a math major you can nail the LSAT.
There have been many attempts to talk seriously to OP, they usually result in him throwing a tantrum and misusing insults. We're in the meme stage of this thread.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:40 pm

You got a low SAT and rocked your GPA at a lower tier college. Big shock. Unfortunately biglaw pedigree does have something to do with quality of undergrad, especially when your LS is cardozo.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

37duncan

New

Post by 37duncan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:46 pm

This is worth repeating:
at all of schools there will be people who are just as smart and good at school as you are.

what really has helped me gain perspective in this terrible process is an important realization:
most of us are not special, myself included
you are not the only 3.95 math major with a low lsat who thinks they will work harder than the rest

high gpa/low lsat splitters like yourself are pretty prevalent and I am sure there are many at each school you're interested in. If there are 270ish students all with similar #s to you, maybe 20-25 kids will be able to pay back their loans in a reasonable amount of time. Now don't forget that there will be people with higher numbers than you that are on full rides who will likely take a few of those top spots. At sticker, this is too much risk and uncertainty.

You have a KILLER gpa that many, myself included, would looooove to have. Do not waste it. If you improve your lsat, you could be looking at a full ride to these schools next year. IF you had a bad gpa I would say sure, Hofstra w $ is the best you have.

I do not buy that anyone who got a 3.95 in Math is maxed out at what your lsat score was. My first cold practice test was mid 140s. I have a non-rigorous "fluff" major. I studied efficiently for a while and consistently test in the 168-172 range. Not as strong as our fellow posters here, but great compared to the general population. You are capable of this, no problem. The lsat is full of patterns. Spend a year learning to recognize them and you will see improvment.

If you are serious about law school, you NEED to take a year off and fix this. I have a lot of experience with improving lsat scores and would be happy to help/give you feed back over pm if you would like. I am confident that you could at least make mid 160 which would make a world of a difference.

I don't know you or your background, but if you are straight out of school, get a shit job and support yourself for a year. This will change your perspective about debt and risk. I promise.

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:47 pm

rman1201 wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:
lawfreak wrote:
There have been many attempts to talk seriously to OP, they usually result in him throwing a tantrum and misusing insults. We're in the meme stage of this thread.
The organs I would sell for a 4.0. Screw retaking the LSAT, I'd be set...

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:52 pm

Look, lawfreak. The advice you're going to get here is obviously slanted. The posters here skew young and delusional (sometimes! not all). The groupthink and sense of entitlement in some of the threads can be unbelievable. This place attracts, for the most part, a very special kind of type A/overachiever--of course people are going to advise that you retake/reapply. I have my problems with that sometimes.

BUT, even accounting for the kinds of posts/posters you get here, when, in 6 pages of replies people are consistently telling you the same thing, maybe you should stop and think for a minute. But you won't, because you came here expecting to be told what you wanted to hear, to have your anxiety/doubt assuaged. It wasn't, and you got defensive. Cool your effing jets and take a few days to evaluate your life--you owe it to yourself.

Columbia Law

Bronze

Post by Columbia Law » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:34 am

lawfreak wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:OP did you go to Binghamton?
Asshole with no life! I hope you rot in hell :twisted:
Wait what? legit question.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”