Wondering what other people would do...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cerulean87

Wondering what other people would do...

Postby cerulean87 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:21 pm

I have a couple options right now. I haven't heard back from how much I'll be getting from Emory or if I've even been accepted to U of M. However, right now it's as follows. (I'll update when I do get that info because obviously it could be a game changer but it's doubtful I'll be getting anymore full tuition offers).
Indiana Bloomington - Full tuition (120k)
Illinois - 25k/yr
W & M - 25k/yr plus 4k stipend each year.

I'm thinking I may be able to get a stipend at Indiana as well. However, does anyone think the ranking difference between Illinois and Indiana is enough to lean me towards Illinois?

My stats are 167, 3.85 and strong softs for anyone wondering.

BarbellDreams

Re: Wondering what other people would do...

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:30 pm

Leverage Indiana's scholly to get more out of UIUC and then go there.

Core

Postby Core » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:30 pm

Where do you want to work?

cerulean87

Postby cerulean87 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Core wrote:Where do you want to work?

Midwest. I'm from MI and I like the midwest. I'm not looking for big law in NY but I wouldn't mind it for awhile maybe in Chicago.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:34 pm

cerulean87 wrote:I have a couple options right now. I haven't heard back from how much I'll be getting from Emory or if I've even been accepted to U of M. However, right now it's as follows. (I'll update when I do get that info because obviously it could be a game changer but it's doubtful I'll be getting anymore full tuition offers).
Illinois - 25k/yr

I'm thinking I may be able to get a stipend at Indiana as well. However, does anyone think the ranking difference between Illinois and Indiana is enough to lean me towards Illinois?

Be aware that 120K at IU-B is not full tuition. It's about $3000 short for 2011, and if tuition goes up in 2012/2013, the 120K won't cover that portion either.

I don't think the ranking difference are huge, so money and region should probably be the biggest factors for you. Unless you're interested in biglaw, where Illinois, Emory, W&M all outplace IU-B.

cerulean87

Postby cerulean87 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:34 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Leverage Indiana's scholly to get more out of UIUC and then go there.

I definitely need to write them. I received all the info on Friday and figured it wouldn't do any good to write over the weekend.

cerulean87

Postby cerulean87 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:36 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
cerulean87 wrote:I have a couple options right now. I haven't heard back from how much I'll be getting from Emory or if I've even been accepted to U of M. However, right now it's as follows. (I'll update when I do get that info because obviously it could be a game changer but it's doubtful I'll be getting anymore full tuition offers).
Illinois - 25k/yr

Be aware that 120K at IU-B is not full tuition. It's about $3000 short for 2011, and if tuition goes up in 2012/2013, the 120K won't cover that portion either.

I don't think the ranking difference are huge, so money and region should probably be the biggest factors for you. Unless you're interested in biglaw, where Illinois, Emory, W&M all outplace IU-B.

Well the info said "full non-resident tuition" not 120k so I'm not sure that makes a difference. I didn't know that W&M outranked them, especially considering they are back a few spots. Starting salary isn't as great at IU, but I'm not sure if that has to do with cost of living?
Thank you for the response.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:20 pm

I would still go to UIUC even if you don't get any more from them.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:52 pm

cerulean87 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Be aware that 120K at IU-B is not full tuition. It's about $3000 short for 2011, and if tuition goes up in 2012/2013, the 120K won't cover that portion either.

Well the info said "full non-resident tuition" not 120k so I'm not sure that makes a difference. I didn't know that W&M outranked them, especially considering they are back a few spots. Starting salary isn't as great at IU, but I'm not sure if that has to do with cost of living?
Thank you for the response.

"Full tuition" is indeed different than 120K. They offered a lot of people (including me) the 120K, and fewer people actual full tuition, which would presumably increase as tuition increases. Congrats on that offer.

Here's where I got the biglaw hiring data:
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Illinois places 26.7%, Emory 23.5%, W&M 21.8% of their grads into biglaw. IU-B doesn't make the top 50, which would make their biglaw placement rate somewhere below 13.2%.

That's the class of 2009 (the class of 2010 numbers are expected to be released in a few weeks). And it's also ONLY counting jobs at the NLJ 250, so it doesn't count midlaw, government, clerkships, etc.

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:46 am

I would go Indiana, its reputation is rising and having a judge's chambers on campus is incredible. Their faculty also has a lot of incredible connections, not that the others don't, but with a more stable reputation some of these other peer schools will not put themselves out there as much for you. If you are one of the top students at IU, they will definitely go to bat for you. Indiana may be a slightly riskier options, but one that has the potential to really set you up well. Especially since you dont have to pay for it.

If you are worried about USNews, Indiana also has tons of money and are dedicated to gaming the rankings. Plus the rankings are so fluid in the 20s (the two schools were tied last year btw). Career prospects are not identical with Illinois having an edge, but not that much of a scholarship difference. Plus the extra effort that Indiana will put into you as they try to move up the rankings.

TLDR: Illinois and Indiana are peer schools. I'd go to Indiana with a full ride over Illinois with anything short of a full ride.

cerulean87

Postby cerulean87 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:11 am

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the well thought out responses. I'm the first gen. college grad so not anyone around here who can really help give me perspective.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”