# of graded courses during 1L Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TLSNYC

Silver

# of graded courses during 1L

Post by TLSNYC » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:05 pm

This question was inspired by the LRW thread, as I started to wonder how many graded courses the T14 schools have for 1Ls. For example, I noticed that NYU only had three graded courses in the fall semester of 1L. Is it also the same in the spring?

In general, how big of a deal do people currently think the number of graded courses during 1L is? I would think the fewer, the better, so you have less to focus on. Does it also put more pressure on you since those fewer grades will be viewed more significantly during OCI?

RockyIII

Bronze

Re: # of graded courses during 1L

Post by RockyIII » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:11 pm

I want to attend a LS with 0 graded courses. Then we can have GPA communism! Equally shitty jobs for everyone!

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:40 am

I think fewer is better. I think about half of the T-14s outside of YHS have 3 graded doctrinal courses, with P/F LRW.
The schools with graded LRW include Duke, Cornell, Northwestern, and Georgetown.
Penn has 4 graded doctrinal courses, I think. Not sure if its LRW is P/F. Taking 4 curved, doctrinal courses at a time sounds like it sucks big time.

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:38 am

cornellbeez wrote:I think fewer is better. I think about half of the T-14s outside of YHS have 3 graded doctrinal courses, with P/F LRW.
The schools with graded LRW include Duke, Cornell, Northwestern, and Georgetown.
Penn has 4 graded doctrinal courses, I think. Not sure if its LRW is P/F. Taking 4 curved, doctrinal courses at a time sounds like it sucks big time.
x2. I would think the lesser number the better, because it probably gives you a better chance to grasp the material, and more free time to have atleast a very small social life during 1L.

The only way you'd want a ton of graded courses is if you were going to study 12+ hours a day every day, and you figured the more graded courses, the more chance for you to out study people who simply didnt have the will to study 12+ hours a day.

That said, some T14's have 4 graded doctrinal classes plus a graded LR. That seems to be the worst, with 5 graded courses during the fall of 1L. Other schools have 3 doctrinal classes and a graded LR, which is good, but not as good as 3 doctrinal classes and a P/F LR.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:50 am

RockyIII wrote:I want to attend a LS with 0 graded courses. Then we can have GPA communism! Equally shitty jobs for everyone!
Yea, Id like to go to Yale too.

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:13 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
RockyIII wrote:I want to attend a LS with 0 graded courses. Then we can have GPA communism! Equally shitty jobs for everyone!
Yea, Id like to go to Yale the holy trinity too.
Fixed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”