BU vs GW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby Cupidity » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:50 am

2011Law wrote:
bender18 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Also

BU>GWU for career prospects

Both are regional, but BU is #1 in boston (because harvard grads scatter) and GWU is 3rd or 4th in DC.



Gw is 3rd of 4th in DC? Are you serious? Of the law schools located in DC, GW is clearly 2nd best, behind Georgetown.

It really depends on where you want to work. BU for Boston/NYC and GW for DC/NYC. And BU and BC are peer schools, so I wouldn't say it's hands-down the best in the city.


GULC and UVA would place GW in 3rd place. The rest of the t14, especially HYS, that wishes to practice in DC would add up to making GW in 4th place. I think that's what he means by it.


Thats exactly what I meant by it, GWU is behind UVA & GULC, and also has to compete with Wash Lee/W&M and everyone else who wants DC work in the T-14. No one seems to go for Boston, and outside BU/BC we are fighting TTT schools like Suffolk and New England . And by the way, you stacked your hockey team with seniors this year, you may have gotten the gold, but next year the beanpot is ours!

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: BU vs GW

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:45 pm

I wonder if I should also break it down by estimated cost of attendance, or tuition only, or just nut up and ask them to match 105k overall. They probably won't, but there's the whole door in the face phenomenon thing, and it can't hurt to ask I suppose. See what happens you know.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:53 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:I wonder if I should also break it down by estimated cost of attendance, or tuition only, or just nut up and ask them to match 105k overall. They probably won't, but there's the whole door in the face phenomenon thing, and it can't hurt to ask I suppose. See what happens you know.


I specifically told BU that if they match my GW offer, I'd attend. They didn't quite match it, so I wasn't obligated to attend (obviously this wouldn't have been a formal obligation, but a moral one given that I promised). But they did increase my award. If they say no, they say no. Its no big deal.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: BU vs GW

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Cupidity wrote:
2011Law wrote:
bender18 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Also

BU>GWU for career prospects

Both are regional, but BU is #1 in boston (because harvard grads scatter) and GWU is 3rd or 4th in DC.



Gw is 3rd of 4th in DC? Are you serious? Of the law schools located in DC, GW is clearly 2nd best, behind Georgetown.

It really depends on where you want to work. BU for Boston/NYC and GW for DC/NYC. And BU and BC are peer schools, so I wouldn't say it's hands-down the best in the city.


GULC and UVA would place GW in 3rd place. The rest of the t14, especially HYS, that wishes to practice in DC would add up to making GW in 4th place. I think that's what he means by it.


Thats exactly what I meant by it, GWU is behind UVA & GULC, and also has to compete with Wash Lee/W&M and everyone else who wants DC work in the T-14. No one seems to go for Boston, and outside BU/BC we are fighting TTT schools like Suffolk and New England . And by the way, you stacked your hockey team with seniors this year, you may have gotten the gold, but next year the beanpot is ours!


Who did you guys email about the GW vs BU money? The Dean or the financial aid office?

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby Cupidity » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:49 pm

Financial Aid

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: BU vs GW

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Thanks for the advice all, especially Cupidity. Hopefully I get a speedy (affirmative) response.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby rman1201 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:26 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:Thanks for the advice all, especially Cupidity. Hopefully I get a speedy (affirmative) response.


Let me know how it goes, I'll be attempting to negotiate pretty soon after my cycle develops a little further. So far though I haven't heard too many success stories with BU though.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: BU vs GW

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:33 pm

rman1201 wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:Thanks for the advice all, especially Cupidity. Hopefully I get a speedy (affirmative) response.


Let me know how it goes, I'll be attempting to negotiate pretty soon after my cycle develops a little further. So far though I haven't heard too many success stories with BU though.


Yeah...I'm not expecting an exact match (don't need one anyway considering GW is more...or estimated to be more...expensive. 20k would be enough to sway me...I'd consider 15 even). Maybe I should've tossed my Minnesota offer in, though I doubt that's as powerful as GW (based off location alone).

Sad to hear about BU being difficult with $$$--anything specific you've heard about BU not willing to match peer schools? Anyway, I should be informative for you, our numbers are very similar. I like to think I have pretty cool softs, but who doesn't? I won't live in a cardboard box if I don't crack the T14...right...right...

Nice to see a Gator too, I'm from South Florida, know a ton of people there.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby rman1201 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:40 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:Thanks for the advice all, especially Cupidity. Hopefully I get a speedy (affirmative) response.


Let me know how it goes, I'll be attempting to negotiate pretty soon after my cycle develops a little further. So far though I haven't heard too many success stories with BU though.


Yeah...I'm not expecting an exact match (don't need one anyway considering GW is more...or estimated to be more...expensive. 20k would be enough to sway me...I'd consider 15 even). Maybe I should've tossed my Minnesota offer in, though I doubt that's as powerful as GW (based off location alone).

Sad to hear about BU being difficult with $$$--anything specific you've heard about BU not willing to match peer schools? Anyway, I should be informative for you, our numbers are very similar. I like to think I have pretty cool softs, but who doesn't?

Nice to see a Gator too, I'm from South Florida, know a ton of people there.


So far most of the stories I've heard have just been people emailing BU, asking for a second run of scholarships, maybe asking for a specific amount or whatever, and BU has been responding with "We will continue to evaluate applications for merit based aid", kind of a shrug off. You still might want to wait a little bit to start though, just because they did say they'll can give out merit at any time (plus Cupidity's success last year was pretty late in the cycle).
If BU is your #1 choice, I'd just try to leverage up every other school first to as high as you can get them, then just show BU your cards and see what they do. $15-20k seems like a pretty good range, 15k being most likely.
I doubt I'll get any kind of money from GW/Fordham to work with unfortunately, I applied reallllly late in the cycle (around feb 1st).
You can try MN, but they're more loose with their money and BU knows this, so it won't have as much weight as GW, Fordham, or BC.
Are you going to any of the ASDs?

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: BU vs GW

Postby PomasThynchon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:55 am

Yep just got that email from BU. I don't think it's a dismissal, it looks like if not an automated response then their standard one. We'll see what comes in the mail I guess. If I don't get any letter in the next, say, month, by an ASD, I'll contact them again.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby rman1201 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:56 am

PomasThynchon wrote:Yep just got that email from BU. I don't think it's a dismissal, it looks like if not an automated response then their standard one. We'll see what comes in the mail I guess. If I don't get any letter in the next, say, month, by an ASD, I'll contact them again.


Yeah thats what I figured, just work on getting your other offers up as high as possible in the meantime so you can use them as leverage.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: BU vs GW

Postby PomasThynchon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:35 am

I was hoping that the possibility of money from BC would help me negotiate but...just got rejected from BC. I know they don't owe me an acceptance but WTF! My numbers can't be good enough for YP, but I got into GW and BU.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:52 am

PomasThynchon wrote:I was hoping that the possibility of money from BC would help me negotiate but...just got rejected from BC. I know they don't owe me an acceptance but WTF! My numbers can't be good enough for YP, but I got into GW and BU.


105k at GW and a rejection at BC? This cycle has just been crazy.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:54 pm

rman1201 wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:I was hoping that the possibility of money from BC would help me negotiate but...just got rejected from BC. I know they don't owe me an acceptance but WTF! My numbers can't be good enough for YP, but I got into GW and BU.


105k at GW and a rejection at BC? This cycle has just been crazy.


BC seems to YP?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:01 pm

Just popped in to say go gators.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby FiveSermon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:03 pm

fatduck wrote:Just popped in to say go gators.


Give me your 170.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:12 pm

fatduck wrote:Just popped in to say go gators.


It's like a religious mantra in G-ville.

Even at the grocery store before a game the cashiers say "Go gators" and it'd be considered rude not to say "And go gators to you".

All UG classes are the same, professor walks in and says "Go Gators", and the entire class in unison chants "Go gators", church-style.

/rant

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: BU vs GW

Postby PomasThynchon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:15 pm

rman1201 wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:I was hoping that the possibility of money from BC would help me negotiate but...just got rejected from BC. I know they don't owe me an acceptance but WTF! My numbers can't be good enough for YP, but I got into GW and BU.


105k at GW and a rejection at BC? This cycle has just been crazy.


Crazy indeed. Hopefully crazy enough to get me into Michigan...if only. I hold no ill-will, I'm just surprised. I know the Law School Predictor is not a guarantee, but I was ADMIT at BC and CONSIDER at BU. It's just a crapshoot, I guess. Anyway, I'm more than happy to go to BU (hopefully with a little green) if it comes to it, but every rejection letter, even (or especially) from your matches hurts.

And FWIW, the BC rejection letter is even more curt than the UVa one, if that were possible.

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby 2011Law » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:34 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
PomasThynchon wrote:I was hoping that the possibility of money from BC would help me negotiate but...just got rejected from BC. I know they don't owe me an acceptance but WTF! My numbers can't be good enough for YP, but I got into GW and BU.


105k at GW and a rejection at BC? This cycle has just been crazy.


Crazy indeed. Hopefully crazy enough to get me into Michigan...if only. I hold no ill-will, I'm just surprised. I know the Law School Predictor is not a guarantee, but I was ADMIT at BC and CONSIDER at BU. It's just a crapshoot, I guess. Anyway, I'm more than happy to go to BU (hopefully with a little green) if it comes to it, but every rejection letter, even (or especially) from your matches hurts.

And FWIW, the BC rejection letter is even more curt than the UVa one, if that were possible.


Was this the letter?:

Dear Pomas Thynchon,

No.

Thank you for the application fee.

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: BU vs GW

Postby PomasThynchon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:28 pm

"I regret to inform you that the Admissions Committee has denied your application for admission to the Fall 2011 entering class at Boston College Law School.
The Admissions Committee carefully reviewed all aspects of your application including your academic record, personal statement, LSAT score(s), letters of recommendation, work experience and extra-curricular activities. This year, we anticipate receiving close to 7,000 applications, and we are again constrained by the limited number of seats available in our incoming class.
Thank you for your interest in Boston College Law School. I wish you the best in your pursuit of a legal education and regret that our decision is not a favorable one."


Before any obnoxious wiseass points it out for me, for its purposes (a rejection notice) it gets the job done, but hell man, I’ve read much more humane rejections in my day. I have to admit that I am one to appreciate brevity. But I have both received and heard of letters that are…erm…nicer…case in point a friend’s GW rejection (and Berkeley). I don’t need a pat on the head or anything, but hell man, when I give you 80 bucks the least you can do is have your administrative assistant write a nicer standard form letter.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:42 pm

Rough. Is that your first? I'm still a rejection virgin, but I'll have 2 to share pretty soon (but hopefully not 3 - c'mon Corny, you know you wanna admit me!)

User avatar
PomasThynchon
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:34 am

Re: BU vs GW

Postby PomasThynchon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:01 pm

rman1201 wrote:Rough. Is that your first? I'm still a rejection virgin, but I'll have 2 to share pretty soon (but hopefully not 3 - c'mon Corny, you know you wanna admit me!)


Yeah I'm hoping Corny (never heard anyone say that actually!) lets me back in. No, UVa and Berkeley summarily rejected me, but I'm convinced that no one actually goes to those places.

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby zonto » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:07 pm

BC rejection looks to be about the same as UVA rejection, except BC doesn't try to smooth things over by hyping their goal to reduce reliance on paper products and remind you that you're out of state.

haveaniceday111
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: BU vs GW

Postby haveaniceday111 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:49 pm

Not gonna lie, this has been on my mind a lot, so I'm reviving this thread.


GW has a lot more course offerings than BU does, especially in areas that I'm interested in (int'l law, national security, foreign policy).

I know it's been said that "specialty rankings" don't matter, but to what extent should the course listings/opportunities matter?

Also, I read on Princeton Review that BU (law) is full of a lot of kids straight from undergrad, many of whom were socially awkward and are looking to relive their college experience.

I generally hate stereotypes, but, can anyone comment on the student bodies of each school?

Discuss.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: BU vs GW

Postby Blindmelon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:05 pm

haveaniceday111 wrote:Not gonna lie, this has been on my mind a lot, so I'm reviving this thread.


GW has a lot more course offerings than BU does, especially in areas that I'm interested in (int'l law, national security, foreign policy).

I know it's been said that "specialty rankings" don't matter, but to what extent should the course listings/opportunities matter?

Also, I read on Princeton Review that BU (law) is full of a lot of kids straight from undergrad, many of whom were socially awkward and are looking to relive their college experience.

I generally hate stereotypes, but, can anyone comment on the student bodies of each school?

Discuss.


About the student body - I'm not so sure about that - I would take Princeton Review with a grain of salt on about everything.

What are you actually interested in doing? I'm in the National Security student group at BU and took the National Security class (fantastic btw).




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest