BU vs GW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Informative

Re: BU vs GW

Postby Informative » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:36 pm

The OP may not have gotten into BC, so it may be a moot point.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Honest question: is it possible BC has better Boston placement stats because more BU grads choose to go elsewhere?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:48 pm

rman1201 wrote:Honest question: is it possible BC has better Boston placement stats because more BU grads choose to go elsewhere?

Here is the typical wisdom in this. BC for a long time attracted many of the Irish Catholic kids from here in Boston. The local kids have chosen that school for a long time. As expected, many of these locals stay in Boston after they graduate. So that allowed them to build up a great network in Boston.

BU, on the other hand, has always been the more eclectic school with an international student body, and kids coming from all over the place. As expected, many of them leave Boston upon graduation. So yes, BC has a stronger alumni network in Boston. But you are apt to find more BU representation in places like NY, DC, etc. So the advice almost always boils down to "if you are deadset on Boston, then you should go with BC all things being completely equal". But anywhere else, BU likely has the edge.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:20 pm

dakatz wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Honest question: is it possible BC has better Boston placement stats because more BU grads choose to go elsewhere?

Here is the typical wisdom in this. BC for a long time attracted many of the Irish Catholic kids from here in Boston. The local kids have chosen that school for a long time. As expected, many of these locals stay in Boston after they graduate. So that allowed them to build up a great network in Boston.

BU, on the other hand, has always been the more eclectic school with an international student body, and kids coming from all over the place. As expected, many of them leave Boston upon graduation. So yes, BC has a stronger alumni network in Boston. But you are apt to find more BU representation in places like NY, DC, etc. So the advice almost always boils down to "if you are deadset on Boston, then you should go with BC all things being completely equal". But anywhere else, BU likely has the edge.

Yeah I think this is correct. So many BC students are "double eagles" attending both BC undergrad and BC for law school. BU probably has a slight edge in national placement, but I dont know whether or not its stronger than BC.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:22 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:
Cupidity wrote:BU matched my GW offer

I was just going to scan my GW offer and email it to the Admissions office, explaining my preference. Is that what you did?

Throw in a little, "While I'm I really really really love you guys, it doesn't make financial sense" line.

Informative

Postby Informative » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:40 pm

Few people go to BU to work outside of Boston. If you wanted to work in New York, you would go to Fordham. If you wanted to work in DC, you go to GW. If you want to work in Boston, you go to BC. Typically, if you don't get a job in the market you were hoping for, you take a look at other markets. BU is a good school, so when Harvard and BC grads take up most of the Boston jobs, students at BU often look elsewhere. It is more self-selection than anything else. The top 25% probably get Boston, but it gets more difficult after that.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:42 pm

Informative wrote:Few people go to BU to work outside of Boston. If you wanted to work in New York, you would go to Fordham. If you wanted to work in DC, you go to GW. If you want to work in Boston, you go to BC. Typically, if you don't get a job in the market you were hoping for, you take a look at other markets. BU is a good school, so when Harvard and BC grads take up most of the Boston jobs, students at BU often look elsewhere. It is more self-selection than anything else. The top 25% probably get Boston, but it gets more difficult after that.

Are you telling me BC>BU for boston? I thought it was the other way around.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:44 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Informative wrote:Few people go to BU to work outside of Boston. If you wanted to work in New York, you would go to Fordham. If you wanted to work in DC, you go to GW. If you want to work in Boston, you go to BC. Typically, if you don't get a job in the market you were hoping for, you take a look at other markets. BU is a good school, so when Harvard and BC grads take up most of the Boston jobs, students at BU often look elsewhere. It is more self-selection than anything else. The top 25% probably get Boston, but it gets more difficult after that.

ITT we argue about this.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:44 pm

Ok, I know certain posts have a slant to them, but this is both misleading and incorrect. You really think BU kids leave Boston because they are chased out for lack of job opportunity? BU placed a solid chunk of its class in the mid-atlantic region and DC areas. I really doubt its because they were left out in the cold from Boston and had to find some backup.
Last edited by dakatz on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:46 pm

rman1201 wrote:Same guy posted on my thread saying Boston is a saturated market with tough competition from Harvard kids. Idk how many people have to tell him he's wrong until he takes a hint.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:46 pm

Cupidity wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

ITT we argue about this.

I guess one could argue that there is no significant difference. I only applied to BU instead of BC (As my safety) because I hear bad things about BC undergrad population.

Informative

Postby Informative » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:47 pm

Last edited by Informative on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Informative wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

Yes, BC is better for Boston. Use the search button on this website.

How about you give me some relevant information instead of go search?

Informative

Postby Informative » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:49 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

ITT we argue about this.

I guess one could argue that there is no significant difference. I only applied to BU instead of BC (As my safety) because I hear bad things about BC undergrad population.

BC has a seperate campus from the undergrad. It is actually only at BU where you have problems with the undergrad population. Also use the search function to see complaints from BU students on this. I don't think it is too big of a problem though.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Informative wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

Yes, BC is better for Boston. Use the search button on this website. Edit: And not to date myself, but use the search button on lawschooldiscussion.

After a little searching it turns out you go to BC. I guess it's no surprise every other post you are trying to run up BC as the next best thing since sliced bread.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:51 pm

and on an unrelated note, BC students are lame.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:53 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Informative wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

Yes, BC is better for Boston. Use the search button on this website. Edit: And not to date myself, but use the search button on lawschooldiscussion.

After a little searching it turns out you go to BC. I guess it's no surprise every other post you are trying to run up BC as the next best thing since sliced bread.

In all fairness, everyone here on the other side either attends/will attend BU. So there isn't much objectivity going on (though reality and statistics demonstrate BU>BC).

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:56 pm

Actually, I'd say most posts on here are quite neutral, honest, and realistic. BC traditionally has a stronger alumni network in Boston. BU traditionally has a more eclectic student body and has better placement outside of Boston due to self-selecting students who wish to leave.

But obviously you have to ignore the ridiculous statements on here (i.e. the only reason for BU's solid placement outside of Boston is that they are chased out for lack of job prospects here b/c BC kids take all the jobs).

Informative

Postby Informative » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:07 pm

Last edited by Informative on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Informative wrote:Went to BC. Not goes. Already working Biglaw.

What? Then how come in April of last year you were deciding between BC and UCLA, and were unable to attend admitted student's weekend?

Informative

Postby Informative » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:25 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:

What? Then how come in April of last year you were deciding between BC and UCLA, and were unable to attend admitted student's weekend?

It is called working. Not too hard to figure out.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:27 pm

Hahahaha burned

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:29 pm

Informative wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

What the hell are you talking about? If just last year you were posting in threads deciding on what school to go to, then how are you claiming to be a graduate already? Your credibility sort of hinges on this. This might be a faceless and anonymous forum, but that doesn't mean we have time for liars. Especially since people make important life decisions based on the information we post here, however misguided that may be.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:29 pm

Went to BC. Not goes. Already working Biglaw. I was at the median btw at BC and got V30. But I actually have nothing but the utmost respect for BU. I work with BU alums daily and they are great attorneys, better than a lot of higher ranked schools. Blindmellon is a BU poster on here that i respect greatly. But there are a lot of BU trolls on here since BU jumped BC in the rankings a few years ago who post some rediculous things. Just want to make sure that people don't choose BU just because of US News when all other rankings say they are equal, or that BC is the better school. They should both be equually ranked, probably together higher than a few schools ranked higher than they are. BC and BU are two of the top schools in the country, and hate that few people realize that. BC, BU, GW and ND are probably the best schools outside of the top 18 or so.

First of all what the hell is top 18? I've heard t17 but never a top 18.

And second of all grats on getting biglaw @ median at BU. That's amazing considering all stats point to evidence that less than 30% get biglaw coming out of BU/BC. You must have had great connections or had a great resume or been a URM.

Edit: Upon reading the above posts I must say it seems pretty clear you are just lying in order to gain some kind of ego boost from attending BC. Kind of sad really.
Last edited by FiveSermon on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:30 pm

Informative wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

Still not getting how you 1) say you got median at BC and (before you edited your post after I posted) claimed to have hired attorneys from both BC and BU, and 2) were selecting between BC and other schools less than a year ago.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”