BU vs GW Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FiveSermon

Gold

Re: BU vs GW

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:34 pm

columbia86 wrote:So does BU or BC place better than GW? Why is GW admonished so heavily throughout these message boards? Are their placements prospects grim?
Which market are you talking about? Or just biglaw in general?

columbia86

Bronze

Post by columbia86 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:35 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
columbia86 wrote:So does BU or BC place better than GW? Why is GW admonished so heavily throughout these message boards? Are their placements prospects grim?
Biglaw in their respective markets.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:36 pm

GW plays 2nd fiddle to a better school that puts out a HUGE class of graduates each year into what is supposedly a very saturated DC legal market. BU and BC place about the same. So pretty much 1.) Visit both and see which one you like more, 2.) Have an idea of where (geographically) you would like to end up after law school, though it isn't essential that you do so and, 3.) Doesn't listen to idiots like the ironically named Informative
Last edited by dakatz on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:36 pm

columbia86 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
From most recent numbers I'd have to say BU/BC by a slight margin.

columbia86

Bronze

Post by columbia86 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:41 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
columbia86 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
From most recent numbers I'd have to say BU/BC by a slight margin.
Is there a large legal market that seems best positioned to rebound from this recession?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:42 pm

Is there a large legal market that seems best positioned to rebound from this recession?
TLS wisdom (if there is such a thing) seems to say NYC is recovering the fastest while Cali/DC have been hit harder and is less likely to recover. No clue about Boston.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:43 pm

columbia86 wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:

Unlikely out of any of them, though I don't think GW is doing that much worse (if it's even doing worse) than the Boston schools.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Holy shit stop the BU/BC crap. They're roughly the same school - if you account for gov placement, clerkships, bigfirms, public interest, any difference between them is NEGLIGIBLE and most likely do to self selection.

Also, GW is a 100% peer of BU - if you want DC, take GW and run, BU for Boston. If you're unsure, I'd go with BU solely on the lower COL and generally less competition from other schools.

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Informative wrote:
Went to BC. Not goes. Already working Biglaw. I was at the median btw at BC and got V30. But I actually have nothing but the utmost respect for BU. I work with BU alums daily and they are great attorneys, better than a lot of higher ranked schools. Blindmellon is a BU poster on here that i respect greatly. But there are a lot of BU trolls on here since BU jumped BC in the rankings a few years ago who post some rediculous things. Just want to make sure that people don't choose BU just because of US News when all other rankings say they are equal, or that BC is the better school. They should both be equually ranked, probably together higher than a few schools ranked higher than they are. BC and BU are two of the top schools in the country, and hate that few people realize that. BC, BU, GW and ND are probably the best schools outside of the top 18 or so.
JusticeHarlan wrote:
Informative wrote:Went to BC. Not goes. Already working Biglaw.
What? Then how come in April of last year you were deciding between BC and UCLA, and were unable to attend admitted student's weekend?
Definitely fishy, this Informative character.
Informative had posted some questionable advice in another thread (see below), and failed to qualify their statement.

I think more than a grain of salt is needed with this person.
Skyhook wrote:
Informative wrote:Category - Better School
Biglaw placement - Boston College
Government placement - GW
Midlaw placement - Boston College
Clerkships - Boston College
Chance to participate on a journal/Moot Court team - Boston College (see class sizes v. open spots)
National Reputation - Boston College
City - Toss up; personal preference
Cost of Living - Boston College
Am I missing something here?
Using the data presented in the TLS thread:

GW - 25 clerks from a class of 506 ~ 5%
BC - 9 clerks from 255 ~3.5%

In what way does BC outperform GW?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Skyhook

Bronze

Post by Skyhook » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:00 pm

FiveSermon wrote: TLS wisdom (if there is such a thing)...
Internet intelligence :roll:

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:19 pm

Didn't mean to offend any Eagles out there, I only neglected to mention BC because I haven't heard back from them (applied to both BU/BC because I honestly didn't see a difference, and liked BC's campus more anyway-not that that in itself should sway someone). Honestly, it seems to me regardless of the statistic-national reputation, clerkships, it's a wash. Although I'm not from Boston and have never lived there (and don't intend to live there), half my family is from there, and tons of them are BC alums.

I've had many a sobering conversation regarding placement with working attorneys. I don't doubt that GW/BC/BU are top notch schools, and the prospective students I've called/emailed from BU have been nothing short of cordial, but as someone who's not yet sure of where they'd like to live, I don't think I'm ready to go to a semi-regional school.

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:22 pm

PomasThynchon wrote:Didn't mean to offend any Eagles out there, I only neglected to mention BC because I haven't heard back from them (applied to both BU/BC because I honestly didn't see a difference, and liked BC's campus more anyway-not that that in itself should sway someone). Honestly, it seems to me regardless of the statistic-national reputation, clerkships, it's a wash. Although I'm not from Boston and have never lived there (and don't intend to live there), half my family is from there, and tons of them are BC alums.

I've had many a sobering conversation regarding placement with working attorneys. I don't doubt that GW/BC/BU are top notch schools, and the prospective students I've called/emailed from BU have been nothing short of cordial, but as someone who's not yet sure of where they'd like to live, I don't think I'm ready to go to a semi-regional school.
Can't believe I got suckered into the BC/BU war. I will send BU the letter.

kams

New

Post by kams » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 pm

Informative wrote:They are pretty close, but BC places better in Boston. Don't think the difference is enough to base a decision on. This is why people always say to just visit the two schools and see which you like more.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... hool-.html
I don't know how many times people (including myself) have caught you using the incorrect stats in different threads. Yet you keep posting it. It looks kinda desperate man.

And we get that you're sensitive about BU. We get it. Seriously. Don't change every thread that remotely mentions BU into a blog that allows you to vent about your insecurities about BC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bender18

Bronze

Post by bender18 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:49 pm

Last edited by bender18 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:54 pm

bender18 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Also

BU>GWU for career prospects

Both are regional, but BU is #1 in boston (because harvard grads scatter) and GWU is 3rd or 4th in DC.

Gw is 3rd of 4th in DC? Are you serious? Of the law schools located in DC, GW is clearly 2nd best, behind Georgetown.

It really depends on where you want to work. BU for Boston/NYC and GW for DC/NYC. And BU and BC are peer schools, so I wouldn't say it's hands-down the best in the city.
GULC and UVA would place GW in 3rd place. The rest of the t14, especially HYS, that wishes to practice in DC would add up to making GW in 4th place. I think that's what he means by it.

bender18

Bronze

Post by bender18 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:58 pm

Last edited by bender18 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:08 am

I wonder if Informative will ever post in this thread or TLS again.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:13 am

FiveSermon wrote:I wonder if Informative will ever post in this thread or TLS again.
I think he will be permanently preoccupied with his hectic and stressful position in his V30 firm. He is quite the prodigy. Only took him one semester of law school to get that gig.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:13 am

FiveSermon wrote:I wonder if Informative will ever post in this thread or TLS again.
Don't piss him off, man. What if he's your interviewer for OCI?

kams

New

Post by kams » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:31 am

I don't think he/she will. There was a poster like a year ago named "small law" who pretty much said the exact same things that Informative said, using pretty much the exact same language. They also referred to themselves as a BC student, a legal recruiter who graduated from BC, a potential BC student, and a midwest law student. But whoever he was in the particular thread, he was always putting down BU and building up BC. He hasn't been back since Informative came along. So that's interesting.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:44 am

kams wrote:
I don't think he/she will. There was a poster like a year ago named "small law" who pretty much said the exact same things that Informative said, using pretty much the exact same language. They also referred to themselves as a BC student, a legal recruiter who graduated from BC, a potential BC student, and a midwest law student. But whoever he was in the particular thread, he was always putting down BU and building up BC. He hasn't been back since Informative came along. So that's interesting.
BC Dean trolling?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:47 am

rman1201 wrote:
kams wrote:
BC Dean trolling?
Haha I could totally see some bitter Dean sitting behind his comp late at night trolling internet forums out of spite.

rman1201

Silver

Post by rman1201 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:49 am

dakatz wrote:
rman1201 wrote:
kams wrote:
BC Dean trolling?
Haha I could totally see some bitter Dean sitting behind his comp late at night trolling internet forums out of spite.
Did this "small law" character emerge around the same time BU jumped up in the rankings? It all makes sense now...

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:50 am

2011Law wrote:
bender18 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Also

BU>GWU for career prospects

Both are regional, but BU is #1 in boston (because harvard grads scatter) and GWU is 3rd or 4th in DC.

Gw is 3rd of 4th in DC? Are you serious? Of the law schools located in DC, GW is clearly 2nd best, behind Georgetown.

It really depends on where you want to work. BU for Boston/NYC and GW for DC/NYC. And BU and BC are peer schools, so I wouldn't say it's hands-down the best in the city.
GULC and UVA would place GW in 3rd place. The rest of the t14, especially HYS, that wishes to practice in DC would add up to making GW in 4th place. I think that's what he means by it.
Thats exactly what I meant by it, GWU is behind UVA & GULC, and also has to compete with Wash Lee/W&M and everyone else who wants DC work in the T-14. No one seems to go for Boston, and outside BU/BC we are fighting TTT schools like Suffolk and New England . And by the way, you stacked your hockey team with seniors this year, you may have gotten the gold, but next year the beanpot is ours!

PomasThynchon

Bronze

Post by PomasThynchon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:45 pm

I wonder if I should also break it down by estimated cost of attendance, or tuition only, or just nut up and ask them to match 105k overall. They probably won't, but there's the whole door in the face phenomenon thing, and it can't hurt to ask I suppose. See what happens you know.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”