UNC or American? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ZFB

New

UNC or American?

Post by ZFB » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Hey All,
I'm hoping some of you can give me some advice. A little background first...
After law school I want to do Army JAG followed by the FBI. During law school I plan to do Army ROTC (which looks about 50/50 on getting a full scholarship for the final 2 years).
Considering I want to do work for the government, would it be a better idea to attend law school in DC, or go to UNC, which is ranked slightly higher than American? Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Z

YourCaptain

Silver

Re: UNC or American?

Post by YourCaptain » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:49 pm

I'm going to be biased towards UNC in this circumstance, because you can establish residency, thus better tuition. Having a military background will give you a greater edge for government work than attending American will. American is shadowed by GULC/GWU/UVA/W&M - you have to keep that in mind.

TarHeel11

New

Post by TarHeel11 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:24 pm

Establishing residency should not be part of your decision making process, as the previous poster suggested, since it is extremely difficult. It's possible, but difficult. If you are not already a North Carolina resident, you should plan as though you will have to pay out-of-state tuition.

JAG slots are competitive no matter where you go to school.

I don't know if you'll find these useful or not, but you can see where successful candidates in the most recent selection board went to school:

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:29 pm

unc. It is a lot cheaper than american and gives you slightly better job prospects. win win.

Jag will recruit almost everywhere. Will be competitive anywhere.

ZFB

New

Post by ZFB » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm a NC resident so there is no residency issue. I'll take a look at those JAG links.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:49 pm

ZFB wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm a NC resident so there is no residency issue. I'll take a look at those JAG links.
If you're a NC resident, UNC totally wins.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:57 pm

UNC.

eminem

New

Post by eminem » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:00 pm

Word of warning: Army ROTC scholarships obligate one to serve in the Army, but do not guarantee your choice of branch. If you elect this course of action (versus the selection board/loan repayment for JAG) it means you should be prepared to serve in a capacity other than JAG. There were two lawyers who commissioned via ROTC with me; one is a rifle company commander and the other is a military intelligence officer.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:09 pm

I started a thread on this before, though it is not your exact situation. Perhaps my thread could give you insight.

EDIT: Went to attach the thread link but for some reason it can no longer be accessed-- anyway the title is UNC vs. American if you want to try to search for it. Also, unless American offers you big money, I'd go to UNC hands-down. In fact, this is my plan unless I get the full-tuition PIPS scholarships at American. Good luck on your decision.

aspire2more

Bronze

Post by aspire2more » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:02 am

I agree with everyone else that has posted here. UNC for sure if you're an NC resident. If for some reason you don't follow through with your current plans, you'll have less debt (lower tuition, 150% lower cost of living, etc.) and you'll be very competitive for jobs in NC. It's always good to have a backup plan!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”