Support Thread for the 6-figure debt plunge Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Sentry

Silver

Re: Support Thread for the 6-figure debt plunge

Post by Sentry » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:34 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
Sentry wrote:
beachbum wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:I thought he went to UVA and has been unemployed for a while.
Oh, that's it? So he just struck out at OCI, or is there some cool/tragic story I'm missing?
It was Northwestern not UVA. The bits of story I've heard is that he is a terrible interviewer fwiw.

Did he disclose this himself?
No, I heard it from people who were at NU with him.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Sentry wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Oh, that's it? So he just struck out at OCI, or is there some cool/tragic story I'm missing?
It was Northwestern not UVA. The bits of story I've heard is that he is a terrible interviewer fwiw.
Ah, gotcha. See, this is what (legitimately) scares me about sticker the most: that I don't have the credentials of my peers that would allow me to compete at OCI. I know grades are a big part of it, but I look around and see a whole lot of professional work experience, interesting graduate degrees, and Ivy undergrads. Meanwhile, I'm coming straight from a very mediocre undergrad with nothing of value on my resume. If we want to talk about what scares me shitless about paying sticker, it's that I'll be out-classed by my peers, even with respectable grades.

Anyway, back to the senseless bickering.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:36 pm

beachbum wrote:
Sentry wrote:
beachbum wrote:
Ah, gotcha. See, this is what (legitimately) scares me about sticker the most: that I don't have the credentials of my peers that would allow me to compete at OCI. I know grades are a big part of it, but I look around and see a whole lot of professional work experience, interesting graduate degrees, and Ivy undergrads. Meanwhile, I'm coming straight from a very mediocre undergrad with nothing of value on my resume. If we want to talk about what scares me shitless about paying sticker, it's that I'll be out-classed by my peers, even with respectable grades.

I cannot agree with this statement more. You have a very similar mindset to me.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:37 pm

beachbum wrote:
Sentry wrote:
beachbum wrote:

I would be scared to death if I were you as well.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:40 pm

LLB2JD wrote:I would be scared to death if I were you as well.
haha, thanks for the support.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:42 pm

beachbum wrote:
Sentry wrote:
beachbum wrote:

This goes back to a point I made earlier. Though it sounds harsh, law school won't turn a loser into a winner. The people who stand the best chance of having law school provide them a career boost are those who had substantial careers before they ever went. Can you honestly rationalize hiring a kid straight from undergrad who's only jobs included telemarketing/bartending/waiting tables and then paying them 160k a year?

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:47 pm

MTal wrote:Can you honestly rationalize hiring a kid straight from undergrad who's only jobs included telemarketing/bartending/waiting tables and then paying them 160k a year?
Maybe not, but those of us who held substantive jobs while in UG/during summers may fare better, no?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:53 pm

MTal wrote:This goes back to a point I made earlier. Though it sounds harsh, law school won't turn a loser into a winner. The people who stand the best chance of having law school provide them a career boost are those who had substantial careers before they ever went. Can you honestly rationalize hiring a kid straight from undergrad who's only jobs included telemarketing/bartending/waiting tables and then paying them 160k a year?
Ha, I guess we'll find out. I have a few good connections (both in NYC and in my secondary market hometown) that may help in the job search if things don't go according to plan. Otherwise, I'm a good (though not incredible) interviewer with average (college-type) jobs and a solid/employable degree from an average school. I like to think that if I get the grades, some employers will give me the benefit of the doubt. But if I don't, it's certainly going to be an uphill battle.

Edit: I also strongly believe (based on connections) that I can get a good 1L summer job, which should help.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:55 pm

ATR wrote:
MTal wrote:Can you honestly rationalize hiring a kid straight from undergrad who's only jobs included telemarketing/bartending/waiting tables and then paying them 160k a year?
Maybe not, but those of us who held substantive jobs while in UG/during summers may fare better, no?

Will have to agree with MTal here. I think a lot of firms are saying to themselves that these new associates are coming in, spending and average of 2-3 years, and the bolting. Why not hire someone with some experience, and could get substantive work out of asap. I saw a thread which suggested that students in late 20s/early 30s did a little better than their younger counterparts.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:58 pm

LLB2JD wrote:
ATR wrote:

Will have to agree with MTal here. I think a lot of firms are saying to themselves that these new associates are coming in, spending and average of 2-3 years, and the bolting. Why not hire someone with some experience, and could get substantive work out of asap. I saw a thread which suggested that students in late 20s/early 30s did a little better than their younger counterparts.
In all fairness, I've also seen threads that suggest those who are older than average (by more than a year or two, think early 30s) tend to do worse.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:00 pm

beachbum wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:
ATR wrote:

In all fairness, I've also seen threads that suggest those who are older than average (by more than a year or two, think early 30s) tend to do worse.

True

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:01 pm

beachbum wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:
ATR wrote:

Yeah I don't think age matters. Unless you are graduating law school at 20 or something.

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:01 pm

MTal wrote:This goes back to a point I made earlier. Though it sounds harsh, law school won't turn a loser into a winner. The people who stand the best chance of having law school provide them a career boost are those who had substantial careers before they ever went. Can you honestly rationalize hiring a kid straight from undergrad who's only jobs included telemarketing/bartending/waiting tables and then paying them 160k a year?
Actually, I think a lot of firms probably did do exactly that. You're arguing that law school won't turn a loser into a winner, but what do you say to the plethora of kids who went straight to law school following UG and landed biglaw prior to ITE?

Edit: Grammar

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:06 pm

beachbum wrote: Ah, gotcha. See, this is what (legitimately) scares me about sticker the most: that I don't have the credentials of my peers that would allow me to compete at OCI. I know grades are a big part of it, but I look around and see a whole lot of professional work experience, interesting graduate degrees, and Ivy undergrads. Meanwhile, I'm coming straight from a very mediocre undergrad with nothing of value on my resume. If we want to talk about what scares me shitless about paying sticker, it's that I'll be out-classed by my peers, even with respectable grades.

Talking to a few older T-10 students definitely had me feeling intimidated. All I have is finance/consulting type internships and no full-time, long-term(longer than 6 moths) work experience.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:18 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
beachbum wrote: Ah, gotcha. See, this is what (legitimately) scares me about sticker the most: that I don't have the credentials of my peers that would allow me to compete at OCI. I know grades are a big part of it, but I look around and see a whole lot of professional work experience, interesting graduate degrees, and Ivy undergrads. Meanwhile, I'm coming straight from a very mediocre undergrad with nothing of value on my resume. If we want to talk about what scares me shitless about paying sticker, it's that I'll be out-classed by my peers, even with respectable grades.

Talking to a few older T-10 students definitely had me feeling intimidated. All I have is finance/consulting type internships and no full-time, long-term(longer than 6 moths) work experience.
Same, though without any cool internships. I worked full-time at a hospital during breaks, and I had a shitty work-study job when school was in. Also worked with my dad flipping houses, and I was in a frat. Overall a pretty weak resume, particularly compared to many of my peers. Good thing I'm a fucking genius.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:21 pm

beachbum wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

Same, though without any cool internships. I worked full-time at a hospital during breaks, and I had a shitty work-study job when school was in. Also worked with my dad flipping houses, and I was in a frat. Overall a pretty weak resume, particularly compared to many of my peers. Good thing I'm a fucking genius.
wut

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:23 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
beachbum wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:

wut
Yeah dude. I don't like to brag, but I'm qualified to join MENSA.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:25 pm

Oh. Make sure to have that on your resume when you are looking for jobs. I think MENSA is the reason why Quentin Tarantino has had such a great career.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:29 pm

FiveSermon wrote:
Oh. Make sure to have that on your resume when you are looking for jobs. I think MENSA is the reason why Quentin Tarantino has had such a great career.
Yeah, probably. It definitely wasn't Kill Bill 2.

Edit: On a side note, I'm starting to lose track of where the sarcasm ends and begins in my own posts. This is probably healthy.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:31 pm

beachbum wrote:
FiveSermon wrote:
Yeah, probably. It definitely wasn't Kill Bill 2.

Edit: On a side note, I'm starting to lose track of where the sarcasm ends and begins in my own posts. This is probably healthy.
Yeah man, Kill Bill sucked (no sarcasm).

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:41 am

Apparently law firms can, because they do it with thousands of people ever year. The percentage of people with truly impressive or meaningful WE in law school is very small.

Having WE certainly helps (I wish I had taken time off and worked, to be quite honest) but grades are still by far the most important factor in getting a job, especially a biglaw job.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:50 am

beachbum wrote:I don't like to brag, but I'm qualified to join MENSA.
Yeah, and so is everyone who scored 167+ on the LSAT.

'Grats.

FiveSermon

Gold

Post by FiveSermon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:54 am

ATR wrote:

'Grats.
That's dumb. I seriously hope getting 95th percentile or higher actually qualifies someone for MENSA...

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:57 am

FiveSermon wrote:That's dumb. I seriously hope getting 95th percentile or higher actually qualifies someone for MENSA...
Well, according to the MENSA's official website which I linked to in my post, it does. I'm not sure about any other qualifying factors, but a 167 will allow to meet the test score stipulation, at least.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:00 am

ATR wrote:

'Grats.
I knew I was a genius.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”