Support Thread for the 6-figure debt plunge Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
formerbiglawpartner

New

Re: Support Thread for the 6-figure debt plunge

Post by formerbiglawpartner » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:25 pm

Hate to rain on your parade, but anyone who takes on six figures of debt (let alone $200k) in this economy is nuts! Can you say, "albatross around your neck?"

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:27 pm

formerbiglawpartner wrote:Hate to rain on your parade, but anyone who takes on six figures of debt (let alone $200k) in this economy is nuts! Can you say, "albatross around your neck?"
blp, check out this link

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1944515

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:28 pm

MTal wrote:
formerbiglawpartner wrote:Hate to rain on your parade, but anyone who takes on six figures of debt (let alone $200k) in this economy is nuts! Can you say, "albatross around your neck?"
blp, check out this link

It was topical, and funny, the first time. Are you really just going to post it everywhere?

formerbiglawpartner

New

Post by formerbiglawpartner » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:30 pm

Actually, I just watched it and thought it was hysterical and, sadly, true. I sent it to my spouse (also an attorney who thinks six figures of debt for law school is ludicrous.)

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:34 pm

For all of you doubting the wisdom of paying sticker at a T14. Your advice comes with a responsibility. You can NEVER, EVER say anything like the following: "Its unfair that that firm hired that median NYU kid over me. I know that I am super qualified and have better grades at my T25 or T50" You have made your bed and we are about to make ours. We run the risk of debt, you run the risk of reduced employment prospects. If you want to teach, do high-profile government work or land a V100 firm job, you very well might. But...if you don't, kindly come back on here and post picture of foot in mouth.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:40 pm

+1

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:50 pm

I'm only taking $99,999 of debt, so I guess I'm good to go.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:50 pm

fatduck wrote:
MTal wrote:
blp, check out this link

It was topical, and funny, the first time. Are you really just going to post it everywhere?
hittin a sore spot for ya, eh?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:51 pm

MTal wrote:
fatduck wrote:
MTal wrote:
blp, check out this link

how imaginative :roll: i'm all for trolling (see: my entire post history), but at least put some effort into it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:53 pm

MTal wrote:
fatduck wrote:
MTal wrote:
blp, check out this link

Is it true you dropped out of law school?

formerbiglawpartner

New

Post by formerbiglawpartner » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:55 pm

If you are positive you want to practice in New York, then, yes, the median of the NYU or Columbia class would have an edge over, say, law review at Texas or UCLA. However, somebody has to be at the bottom half of the class at NYU and Columbia, and at that point, you are quite likely hosed. (Look at the NLJ250 Survey recently published unless facts get in the way of your delusions. Remember, that's the NLJ250 they are talking about, too--not the Vault top 10 talked about often on TLS!) Think about where you want to practice and live. If you are getting money from the top regional school there, you should go for it by all means. I'm afraid most of the posters here have been living off mommy and daddy all their lives and have absolutely no idea how much debt (non-dischargeable, remember) six figures is and how it will impact every life decision going forward.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:58 pm

kwais wrote:
Yes of course.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:59 pm

"formerbiglawpartner"? really? lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:00 pm

I fail to understand why people even create these threads, as it is attracts as many (if not more) individuals with an inflated self worth looking to criticizing your life choice.

Unless you can predict the future (which I assure you, you cannot), the claim that it is foolish for "anyone" to attend law school at 200k of debt is intellectually dishonest. It might be a degree of risk that you are uncomfortable with, but that doesn't mean it is wrong for everyone.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:01 pm

formerbiglawpartner wrote:If you are positive you want to practice in New York, then, yes, the median of the NYU or Columbia class would have an edge over, say, law review at Texas or UCLA. However, somebody has to be at the bottom half of the class at NYU and Columbia, and at that point, you are quite likely hosed. (Look at the NLJ250 Survey recently published unless facts get in the way of your delusions. Remember, that's the NLJ250 they are talking about, too--not the Vault top 10 talked about often on TLS!) Think about where you want to practice and live. If you are getting money from the top regional school there, you should go for it by all means. I'm afraid most of the posters here have been living off mommy and daddy all their lives and have absolutely no idea how much debt (non-dischargeable, remember) six figures is and how it will impact every life decision going forward.
I am 27 and have not received a dollar from "mommy and daddy" for almost a decade. I worked to pay tuition, rent and everything else. I may not know what 200k debt feels like, but I know what it is like to be near-unemployable with my lib. arts degree. I also know what its like to get excited by risk, an attribute that is common with most people who achieve what they want in life. Let me translate your post for you: "I'm a cowardly douche, I enter threads that have nothing to do with me and make assumptions about people I don't know, but golly it makes me feel a little better about my life decisions" GTFO

formerbiglawpartner

New

Post by formerbiglawpartner » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Yes, absolutely true.

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:01 pm

MTal wrote:
kwais wrote:
Yes of course.
If I trolled TLS after dropping out of law school I would literally end my life.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:06 pm

kwais wrote:
MTal wrote:
kwais wrote:
Yes of course.
If I trolled TLS after dropping out of law school I would literally end my life.
Ahh...now I see why you look up to me.

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:07 pm

MTal wrote:
kwais wrote:
Yes of course.
\

Really? What school? If I may ask?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:07 pm

MTal wrote:
kwais wrote:
MTal wrote:
kwais wrote:
Yes of course.
Ahh...now I see why you look up to me.
I see what you did there. good one bro

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Taking out 180-200k+ for an elite school (what I mean by this is HYSCCN) is probably worth it.

It's the peeps who forgo big scholarships at regional to take out take out 180-200k in at the non-elite schools who are really making the biggest mistakes.
Last edited by romothesavior on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

formerbiglawpartner

New

Post by formerbiglawpartner » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Obviously, I was replying to TheFactor in my last post. Since you have already made up your mind, good luck to you. Many on this site have not supported themselves and have absolutely no comprehension of what kind of debt they are getting into with law school at sticker. Since I've seen the amount of turnover there is in BigLaw at the 2 and 3 year mark, I am trying to help, frankly. 3 years of BigLaw doesn't come close to paying off $200K of debt. Again, good luck to you.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:10 pm

kwais wrote:
formerbiglawpartner wrote:If you are positive you want to practice in New York, then, yes, the median of the NYU or Columbia class would have an edge over, say, law review at Texas or UCLA. However, somebody has to be at the bottom half of the class at NYU and Columbia, and at that point, you are quite likely hosed. (Look at the NLJ250 Survey recently published unless facts get in the way of your delusions. Remember, that's the NLJ250 they are talking about, too--not the Vault top 10 talked about often on TLS!) Think about where you want to practice and live. If you are getting money from the top regional school there, you should go for it by all means. I'm afraid most of the posters here have been living off mommy and daddy all their lives and have absolutely no idea how much debt (non-dischargeable, remember) six figures is and how it will impact every life decision going forward.
I am 27 and have not received a dollar from "mommy and daddy" for almost a decade. I worked to pay tuition, rent and everything else. I may not know what 200k debt feels like, but I know what it is like to be near-unemployable with my lib. arts degree. I also know what its like to get excited by risk, an attribute that is common with most people who achieve what they want in life. Let me translate your post for you: "I'm a cowardly douche, I enter threads that have nothing to do with me and make assumptions about people I don't know, but golly it makes me feel a little better about my life decisions" GTFO
Yes, except there is 1 small problem. Law school doesn't turn losers into winners. If you are an unemployed liberal arts loser working shit jobs for minimum wage, no decent paying law firm will hire you. If you couldn't figure out how to make it in the real world, you don't have a snowball's chance in law which is far FAR more cutthroat and competitive than other industries.

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:14 pm

MTal wrote:Yes, except there is 1 small problem. Law school doesn't turn losers into winners. If you are an unemployed liberal arts loser working shit jobs for minimum wage, no decent paying law firm will hire you. If you couldn't figure out how to make it in the real world, you don't have a snowball's chance in law which is far FAR more cutthroat and competitive than other industries.
So, you're telling me an unemployed liberal arts major who graduates #1 in his class from H/Y/S doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell in the legal field?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:16 pm

TheOcho wrote:
MTal wrote:Yes, except there is 1 small problem. Law school doesn't turn losers into winners. If you are an unemployed liberal arts loser working shit jobs for minimum wage, no decent paying law firm will hire you. If you couldn't figure out how to make it in the real world, you don't have a snowball's chance in law which is far FAR more cutthroat and competitive than other industries.
So, you're telling me an unemployed liberal arts major who graduates #1 in his class from H/Y/S doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell in the legal field?
Don't feed the troll. He is without any doubt the worst poster on TLS.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”