GULC vs. WUSTL 84K Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GULC or WUSTL 84K

GULC sticker
47%
WUSTL w/ 84k
53%

Total votes: 58

almostfamous

Bronze

GULC vs. WUSTL 84K

Post by almostfamous » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:36 am

I think Ill probably end up deciding between these two, is it worth paying sticker at GULC for the rankings boost?

I'm interested in public service and so gtowns LRAP program is also very appealing, but the thought of going about 200K in debt is reallllly daunting.
Last edited by almostfamous on Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Re: GULC vs. WUSTL 84K

Post by Nogameisfair » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:39 am

almostfamous wrote:I think Ill probably end up deciding between these two, is it worth paying sticker at GULC for the rankings boost?

I'm interested in public service and so gtowns LRAP program is also very appealing, but the thought of going about 200K in debt is reallllly daunting.
Hey, I'm a 3L at Georgetown, so I'm clearly biased. I think it depends on where you want to practice. Also, we place far more people into Gov't and Public interest, and the LRAP is a fairly safe bet as long as you land Gov't or public interest. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edit: also ask Georgetown for money.

Law Sauce

Silver

Post by Law Sauce » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:46 am

depends what $$ means, 60 or less = GULC, 105 or more = WUSTL, 90 = hard choice I'd probably go WUSTL, depending on regional preference of course

almostfamous

Bronze

Post by almostfamous » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:56 am

Yeah I got 84k from wustl which is making my decision really hard. I LOVE dc and the east coast but the money definitely was enough to turn my head.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:08 pm

almostfamous wrote:I'm interested in public service and so gtowns LRAP program is also very appealing
almostfamous wrote:I LOVE dc and the east coast
Nogameisfair wrote:ask Georgetown for money.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

almostfamous

Bronze

Post by almostfamous » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:27 pm

Haha thanks! Ill probably ask but my numbers aren't that great. Would gtown care about money from wustl?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:01 pm

almostfamous wrote:Haha thanks! Ill probably ask but my numbers aren't that great. Would gtown care about money from wustl?
worth a shot? i don't think gulc has sent out scholarship info btw, so you may yet have a chance

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:47 pm

id take georgetown. You aalready siad that you were doing public interest. According to the IBR, if you do 10 years of work at a non profit your loans will be forgiven.
WUSTL's 84k is not nearly enough. you will still likely have 70-100k in loans. It will likely take you 10+ years to pay it off. Furthermore, being in DC will help you greatly in searching for a PI job.

Also, if you change your mind and want to do biglaw/midlaw/biggov georgetown will give you a much better shot. 20% more chance.

Your downside is the same at both schools. Your upside is a lot more with georgetown.
Last edited by thexfactor on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:25 pm

Going $100K into debt for WUSTL or $200K for GULC? GULC no question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:21 pm

$200,000 worth of debt can be overwhelming although I prefer GULC. Their LRAP program as described by TLS is a little worrisome IF you don't spend 10 years in public interest law.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:55 pm

GULC hands down. A full ride from WUSTL could change things.

I went to GULC if you have any questions about the school.
Last edited by nealric on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

almostfamous

Bronze

Post by almostfamous » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:50 pm

thanks a lot everybody! i wasn't expecting the responses to be so overwhelmingly GULC but i've been leaning in that direction anyways so this definitely helps!

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:05 pm

I think it's a true toss-up, personally

If it were MVP at sticker, I might tell you to do that, but it's not. This is G'Town. And G'Town, while a good school, has been clinging on for dear life to that glorious "T14 spot" for more than a decade now with little chance of going up. (As a disclaimer, I should mention that I don't subscribe as heavily to the view of T14 or bust like some around here and, furthermore, I don't think merely going to a T14 school means that you have it made, per se.)

But all that said, if after weighing the factors you still find you prefer the East Coast & DC area, like G'Town that much more, then by all means go. But if you feel iffy about it, prefer the Midwest and would like to minimize your debt, go to WUSTL. Also, you can work in the Midwest from G'Town, just like you can work in the DC area from WUSTL, each school is obviously more prominent in their home markets.

Perhaps a more important question might be this: Have you visited both schools? If you can afford to do so, that might answer the question for you. I think you'll just get a hunch and feel better about it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:11 pm

I am interested in hearing what people have to say. Taggin this post

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:13 pm

OP, since you love DC and want to do Public Interest law, the LRAP at GULC makes much more sense for you.

DC is the least insular market, so students can get there from many schools. WUSTL does have a decent # of alumni there; however, given your practice area and regional preference, GULC in this case.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:10 pm

If it were MVP at sticker, I might tell you to do that, but it's not. This is G'Town. And G'Town, while a good school, has been clinging on for dear life to that glorious "T14 spot" for more than a decade now with little chance of going up. (As a disclaimer, I should mention that I don't subscribe as heavily to the view of T14 or bust like some around here and, furthermore, I don't think merely going to a T14 school means that you have it made, per se.)
The T14 really isn't about US news. There happens to be 14 national law schools. If UCLA were ranked #14 one year, that wouldn't mean the G'Town isn't a T14 school, it would mean that US news was wrong that year.

Nobody said that going to the T14 means you made it, but there is a huge drop off in placement between G'Town and WUSTL.

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:33 pm

nealric wrote:
The T14 really isn't about US news. There happens to be 14 national law schools. If UCLA were ranked #14 one year, that wouldn't mean the G'Town isn't a T14 school, it would mean that US news was wrong that year.

Nobody said that going to the T14 means you made it, but there is a huge drop off in placement between G'Town and WUSTL.
I respectfully disagree. In my mind, there are only about 3 to 6 completely national law schools. Obviously, the degree is more mobile the more you move upwards, but there are still bubbles around all of those schools.

With ease, could one not also argue that there is a huge drop off in placement between G'Town and, say, Chicago? I view it as more of a continuum. But however you look at it, it's definitely not a "T-14, and then the rest" sort of deal.

Perhaps partially I feel this way because I know G'Town kids who are struggling ITE just like a lot of the people in the T-25 range. Whereas, I don't think the same can be said of Harvard kids or Stanford kids (schools I categorize as being highly national law schools).

With all due respect, I also don't think you're the most unbiased person to ask about this either, Mr. GULC Grad :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tea_drinker

Silver

Post by tea_drinker » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:52 pm

I voted GULC, but hope Michigan comes knocking for you (and me).

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:20 pm

nealric wrote:

You're a good poaster, Nealric, but you know as well as I do that that portability of your degree depends on 1) brand name recognition of your school in a specific region, 2) ties to that specific region, and 3) grades. T14 schools happen to be high on 1, to varying degrees. That's about it. There's so much more to it.

damage-inc

Bronze

Post by damage-inc » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:27 pm

in the same boat but have 114k from wustl?

deff take wustl?

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:27 pm

damage-inc wrote:in the same boat but have 114k from wustl?

deff take wustl?

If G'Town is sticker in your situation, I would handily take WUSTL's $114K. But that's just me. The difference between the schools isn't worth paying an extra $125K to me (or some figure close to that, maybe more with COL), though I'm sure someone on here would make an argument for G'Town.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:46 am

damage-inc wrote:in the same boat but have 114k from wustl?

deff take wustl?
It depends.

If you are absolutely DC or bust and biglaw or bust, then it's a tough choice.

If you are ok with any legal work in Chicago/Milwaukee/Louisville/other midwestern city, then deff WUSTL.

If you are ok with any legal work in St. Louis or KC, then withdraw from everywhere and put down your deposit at WUSTL yesterday.

nealric

Post by nealric » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:54 pm

You're a good poaster, Nealric, but you know as well as I do that that portability of your degree depends on 1) brand name recognition of your school in a specific region, 2) ties to that specific region, and 3) grades. T14 schools happen to be high on 1, to varying degrees. That's about it. There's so much more to it.
Sure. But my point is that a UCLA grad interviewing in NYC will usually have a harder time than a GULC grad in LA will, assuming both have ties.
I respectfully disagree. In my mind, there are only about 3 to 6 completely national law schools. Obviously, the degree is more mobile the more you move upwards, but there are still bubbles around all of those schools.

With ease, could one not also argue that there is a huge drop off in placement between G'Town and, say, Chicago? I view it as more of a continuum. But however you look at it, it's definitely not a "T-14, and then the rest" sort of deal.

Perhaps partially I feel this way because I know G'Town kids who are struggling ITE just like a lot of the people in the T-25 range. Whereas, I don't think the same can be said of Harvard kids or Stanford kids (schools I categorize as being highly national law schools).

With all due respect, I also don't think you're the most unbiased person to ask about this either, Mr. GULC Grad
Of course it's a line drawing issue. And it's true that HYS are the most national. But you can even make an argument that S isn't as national as H if you are really going to split hairs. Sure, there are some GULC people struggling, but there are people struggling at every school outside of HYS. But that in an of itself doesn't take away from an argument about national portability.

And of course I'm going to troll a bit for my school. What do you expect? :)

concurrent fork

Silver

Post by concurrent fork » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:27 pm

almostfamous wrote:I LOVE dc and the east coast
GULC no question.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:48 am

nealric wrote: And of course I'm going to troll a bit for my school. What do you expect? :)
Someone has to troll for Georgetown on this site...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”