-

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
YourCaptain

Re: GWU vs. W&M vs. Pepperdine

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:17 am

1ferret! wrote:California's economy is awful. Los Angeles' economy is awful. It sucks for students all around as well as for recent graduates. That said, although students in general are taking a beating, the number of students from Pepperdine getting looks from large firms seems to actually be on the rise. I know that is not necessarily pertinent to your particular situation as I honestly don't know what firms you are targeting.
Anecdotal: The only two people who I know personally with hard science backgrounds that had at least at some point talked to me about their interest in pursuing IP.... one is doing an SA with Latham having turned down Akin, and the other is dead set on setting up his own practice and is spending his summer at a small firm.

I'm from an out-of-state T25 w/ strong ties and have had less difficulty than most in trying to reach back there.

I'm sorry, but Pepperdine is not terribly strong in the LA legal market.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:28 pm

Didn't mean to represent that it was "terribly strong" or even strong for that matter. I said that it seemed to be on the rise in a specific facet. Traditionally, Pepperdine big law placement has been weak, especially being in the same market with USC and UCLA. However overall job prospects have not been weak, and continue to maintain a relative market share to the other schools in the market comparable or better than it has in the past.

Fisher33

-

Postby Fisher33 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:12 pm

-
Last edited by Fisher33 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fisher33

Postby Fisher33 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:35 pm

Anybody???

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:25 pm

Pepperdine with full tuition is tough to pass up when compared to your other options. Also, Malibu isn't exactly a bad place to live for three years.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:30 pm

Fisher33 wrote:Anybody???

Turned down Chicago Kent, W&L, and IUB.

Fisher33

-

Postby Fisher33 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:40 pm

-
Last edited by Fisher33 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:20 am

Fisher33 wrote:Your captain, did you take on much debt and are you generally satisfied with your school/ opportunity to pay off the debt?

Sent you a pm.

hector311

Re: -

Postby hector311 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:56 pm

I'm having the same debate in my mind. Full ride at Pepperdine, sticker at GW... if only I had another 5 points on that LSAT! Of course then I'd be wishing I was a URM so I could jump into YSH. I have some decent scholarship offers elsewhere (top 40 to top 30) but my big pull is living and working in southern cal.
I'm fairly debt averse...just about ready to make my decision to head to pepperdine unless I read some discouraging facts. I am not interested in top 250 law firm placement per se. I would like to work for a mid size firm in LA or San Diego though and Pepperdine does seem to place fairly well in that market.

Great thread guys, thanks for the helpful posts!

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:40 pm

hector311 wrote:I'm having the same debate in my mind. Full ride at Pepperdine, sticker at GW... if only I had another 5 points on that LSAT! Of course then I'd be wishing I was a URM so I could jump into YSH. I have some decent scholarship offers elsewhere (top 40 to top 30) but my big pull is living and working in southern cal.
I'm fairly debt averse...just about ready to make my decision to head to pepperdine unless I read some discouraging facts. I am not interested in top 250 law firm placement per se. I would like to work for a mid size firm in LA or San Diego though and Pepperdine does seem to place fairly well in that market.

I have similar goals, which is why I ended up at Pepperdine. Did you apply to USD? In the boat you are in its hard to get a better school for the San Diego market. If you really want to come back to socal, you should go to school in socal. The network you can create while going to school here will be a lot more beneficial to employment after graduation than the ranking/prestige bump attending GW. Loyola is also an option for you here, but a much different school environment.

hector311

Postby hector311 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:52 am

1ferret! wrote:
hector311 wrote:I'm having the same debate in my mind. Full ride at Pepperdine, sticker at GW... if only I had another 5 points on that LSAT! Of course then I'd be wishing I was a URM so I could jump into YSH. I have some decent scholarship offers elsewhere (top 40 to top 30) but my big pull is living and working in southern cal.

I have similar goals, which is why I ended up at Pepperdine. Did you apply to USD? In the boat you are in its hard to get a better school for the San Diego market. If you really want to come back to socal, you should go to school in socal. The network you can create while going to school here will be a lot more beneficial to employment after graduation than the ranking/prestige bump attending GW. Loyola is also an option for you here, but a much different school environment.

I applied to 18 schools all over the country and now am regretting that. I should have put more emphasis on regional schools in Cali. I only applied to USC, Pepperdine and Berkeley in Cali. Berkeley rejected me the other day and I haven't heard from USC (I'm guessing my 165 LSAT is 2 points too low for USC even with a 3.9 and strong work experience...we will see). I could be happy in SoCal or the Bay Area actually (I lived east of SF for a while and my parents will be in Sacramento). I should have applied to USD, UC Hastings and UC Davis...not sure what I was thinking!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”