DePaul/Loyola/Miami Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ericas386

New

DePaul/Loyola/Miami

Post by ericas386 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:18 pm

Okay here are my offers:
25k per year at DePaul, 10k per year at Loyola, 24k per year at Miami

I guess technically Miami is the highest ranked for the best price but I think I want to practice in Chicago or the Midwest so obviously DePaul or Loyola would be the choice there. However I'm not completely dismissing Miami. I am from Florida and it would be much cheaper of a move for me. I am curious as to how different the markets are between the two cities. As for Chicago, from what I've read DePaul and Loyola are pretty much peer schools, so would it be smarter to take the most $$$? What to do?

Justathought

Silver

Re: DePaul/Loyola/Miami

Post by Justathought » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:35 pm

ericas386 wrote:Okay here are my offers:
25k per year at DePaul, 10k per year at Loyola, 24k per year at Miami

I guess technically Miami is the highest ranked for the best price but I think I want to practice in Chicago or the Midwest so obviously DePaul or Loyola would be the choice there. However I'm not completely dismissing Miami. I am from Florida and it would be much cheaper of a move for me. I am curious as to how different the markets are between the two cities. As for Chicago, from what I've read DePaul and Loyola are pretty much peer schools, so would it be smarter to take the most $$$? What to do?
This is a tough call. Are you sure you prefer Chicago over S. Florida, if so then you should choose one of the Chicago area schools. Now, to the question of DePaul vs. Loyola. They are peer schools - close enough at least. Ordinarily I would suggest taking the money, but according to Brian Leiter, a name in Chicago I trust, DePaul Law is woefully mismanaged by its parent institution. Apparently the College of Law comes into conflict with the University over funding it should be receiving, but is not.

This is sort of a red flag for me. I'm in at both schools, DePaul with good money, and I'm not sold on going, at all. So like I've said, I think its a tough choice.

Plus the competition is Chicago is brutal. South Florida is a small market, but Miami has a strong presence there. So again, you sure you want to practice in Chicago? :wink:

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:37 pm

Deadset on Chicago? Retake is the smart option. Also, Loyola is not a peer school with DePaul, LUC places better and is the better option. Though that scholly from them isn't very large so you'll be swimming in debt.

Miami, assuming no stips, is the best choice if retaking isnt an option but you likely won't get a job in Chicago from UMiami.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:22 pm

I wouldn't go to Miami unless you're getting a full scholarship. FL is in the crapper even more so than some other places. UM is not even the best school in the state for the market (UF). Furthermore, Miami is a target for people from T25ish schools with FL connections. DANGER WILL ROBINSON

ericas386

New

Post by ericas386 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm not dead set on anything. I just want to go to the best school I can go to for the best deal financially, and be able to find a decent job when I get out . Retaking is not an option at this point. I just don't know how to go about deciding. I feel like comparing Chicago schools to Florida schools is like comparing apples and oranges. I was curious as to what other people would choose in my situation. Thanks for your input guys!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”