American or Maryland? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
l_87

New

American or Maryland?

Post by l_87 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:00 pm

Which one of these schools should I choose? Money is NOT a factor. I definitely want to live and work in DC or Bethesda/Silver Spring/Chevy Chase area.
I would like to get a job out of school that will help me to pay back my student loans (any size firm or government), then get a job working in government or public interest.
Does Maryland have a better reputation than American? Which one of these schools would be best suited for me to find a job where I want to live?
I am aware that Maryland does well in the Baltimore market, but I will not be living in Baltimore because I do not particularly like it and I am moving with someone who will be living in DC.

American
Pros: Liberal, in DC
Cons: Competition from other schools

Maryland
Pros: Smaller class size
Cons: In Baltimore

Thanks for your help!

AboveTheLawSchool

Bronze

Re: American or Maryland?

Post by AboveTheLawSchool » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:09 pm

If money is not a factor, then choose American.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:56 pm

AboveTheLawSchool wrote:If money is not a factor, then choose American.
+1

If you want DC or the suburbs of DC, American gives you a much better shot than Maryland. Plus its not in Baltimore. That is reason enough!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:50 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
AboveTheLawSchool wrote:If money is not a factor, then choose American.
+1

If you want DC or the suburbs of DC, American gives you a much better shot than Maryland. Plus its not in Baltimore. That is reason enough!
If money is really not a factor (and you don't mind the distinct possibility of landing a non-legal job) then this is TCR.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:55 pm

l_87 wrote:Which one of these schools should I choose? Money is NOT a factor. I definitely want to live and work in DC or Bethesda/Silver Spring/Chevy Chase area.
I would like to get a job out of school that will help me to pay back my student loans (any size firm or government), then get a job working in government or public interest.
Does Maryland have a better reputation than American? Which one of these schools would be best suited for me to find a job where I want to live?
I am aware that Maryland does well in the Baltimore market, but I will not be living in Baltimore because I do not particularly like it and I am moving with someone who will be living in DC.

American

Maryland

Thanks for your help!
Umm why is money not a factor but you want a job that will help you repay your loans? Are you taking out all costs in loans? Moar details plz

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

l_87

New

Post by l_87 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:29 am

rad law wrote:
l_87 wrote:Which one of these schools should I choose? Money is NOT a factor. I definitely want to live and work in DC or Bethesda/Silver Spring/Chevy Chase area.

American

Maryland

Thanks for your help!
Umm why is money not a factor but you want a job that will help you repay your loans? Are you taking out all costs in loans? Moar details plz
I meant undergraduate loans. Paying for law school is not a problem, but my undergraduate education was very expensive for me.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:35 pm

l_87 wrote:
rad law wrote:

American

Maryland

Thanks for your help!
I meant undergraduate loans. Paying for law school is not a problem, but my undergraduate education was very expensive for me.
So law school tuition and cost of living are going to be fully covered? And how much UG debt do you have?
Last edited by Grizz on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

idoubtit

New

Post by idoubtit » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:02 pm

AU definately franks higher than Maryland.

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:08 am

Seems like a no brainer to me. If you don't want to work in Baltimore than UMD will put you at an even greater disadvantage against other DC schools than American would. Plus American has professors that work/network in DC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bigredforlaw

New

Post by bigredforlaw » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:56 pm

I know this is an old thread...but I just found it and am in an identical situation. I want to end up in DC (maybe IP law) and have some ties there but I'm afraid American's status compared to neighboring schools would put me at a huge disadvantage for jobs. I'd be interested in working at a firm but would also eventually like to do government work. Maryland's smaller class size and resources are appealing though, and I am a finalist for the Leadership Scholars Program. Paying for law school is not a concern of mine. Also, I know rankings don't mean anything but since employment statistics do play a factor in them (esp this year) what do you guys think about American vs. Maryland, considering Maryland's 6 spots up and American's 2 spots down?

RockyIII

Bronze

Post by RockyIII » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:41 pm

bigredforlaw wrote:Also, I know rankings don't mean anything but

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:44 pm

RockyIII wrote:
bigredforlaw wrote:Also, I know rankings don't mean anything but
losing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”