Dallas/Houston vs. Texas

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Mce252

Re: Dallas/Houston vs. Texas

Postby Mce252 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm pretty sure that 20 years ago the political ideology of the democratic party was much the same as it is today. The point I was trying to make is that people like to act like being a dyed in the wool republican is an inherent part of the Texan identity, when it's only fairly recently become the dominant political perspective.

I guess that would make sense if you really believe everyone all the sudden changed their minds about what they want in governmental leadership.... There is more to these trends than the surface level party switches.

My post was intended to be hyperbolic. Conservatives in Texas are just like any other. We just happened to do very well here in Nov 2010. I don't think democrats even have to show up for the House to vote.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:30 pm

23 years ago Rick Perry was Al Gore's Texas campaign manager. Don't know what that's worth, but most of the Texas Republicans of today were Democrats in the 80s.

Politics are politics. If you really believe any of these people stick to any sort of consistent value system, I'm afraid you're in for a surprise. The indicator is in the ideology of the people not the politicians.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Mce252 wrote:
23 years ago Rick Perry was Al Gore's Texas campaign manager. Don't know what that's worth, but most of the Texas Republicans of today were Democrats in the 80s.

Politics are politics. If you really believe any of these people stick to any sort of consistent value system, I'm afraid you're in more a surprise. The indicator is in the ideology of the people not the politicians.

Oh, I know that, I just find it funny every time I come across Perry's past as a Democrat.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:34 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
Mce252 wrote:

Politics are politics. If you really believe any of these people stick to any sort of consistent value system, I'm afraid you're in more a surprise. The indicator is in the ideology of the people not the politicians.

Oh, I know that, I just find it funny every time I come across Perry's past as a Democrat.

You should read his new book. You'll piss your pants.

too old for this sh*

Postby too old for this sh* » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:39 pm

Marionberry wrote:
sojasoph wrote:
He is talking about liberal and conservative.... also Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass were Republicans :roll:

I'm pretty sure that 20 years ago the political ideology of the democratic party was much the same as it is today. The point I was trying to make is that people like to act like being a dyed in the wool republican is an inherent part of the Texan identity, when it's only fairly recently become the dominant political perspective.

with respect to Texas politics, it was not at all uncommon to see people elected as Democrats who would have been Republican in a lot of other places. Especially true in East Texas. Not coincidentally, that part of the State was also one that had a LOT of areas where religious influence was a policy factor (and still explains why a number of the dry counties are on that side of the State).

The tide really turned in the early to mid-80's...aside from the reference to Goodhair's activities, there is also the case-in-point of Phil Gramm who was a Democrat for a number of years before switching parties circa 1983.

That being said, within a few years, you had districts where Mickey Mouse could have run as a Republican and expected to garner at least 60% of the vote. Loved the margin note in one of my early poli-sci classes (circa 1986) where the prof noted "probably true" in response to a precinct analysis I had to prepare...

jlb2957

Postby jlb2957 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:41 pm

jacketman03 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
sojasoph wrote:
He is talking about liberal and conservative.... also Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass were Republicans :roll:

I'm pretty sure that 20 years ago the political ideology of the democratic party was much the same as it is today.

as Reagan said; I didn't leave the democratic party, the democratic party left me.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:46 pm

If you do end up in Dallas, avoid (or don't become) a 30k millionaire. PLEASE.

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:44 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:If you do end up in Dallas, avoid (or don't become) a 30k millionaire. PLEASE.

Omg, hahahahahaha. I can't believe that first site is real.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:59 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:If you do end up in Dallas, avoid (or don't become) a 30k millionaire. PLEASE.

I was familiar with this phenomenon, but I had never seen it labeled as such. We have a lot less of these people in Austin, but they're still here.
Last edited by Marionberry on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOPBoC3v8Z8

This video will tell you all you need to know about Texas. And if you take it seriously you probably won't like it here.

If you want to know about everything that's wrong with Dallas, read this: http://www.dallasobserver.com/2007-11-2 ... -the-mist/. It's long but entirely worth. By the way, there's plenty that's right with Dallas but this thread seems to be zeroing in on the negatives.

edit: shucks you guys already found the article

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:43 pm

I can barely control my urge to contribute to this thread.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”