Is it silly to want to work in California?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BeautifulSW

Re: Is it silly to want to work in California?

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:59 pm

No, it's not "silly" to want to work in California. But don't even think about buying a house even if you CAN afford it; prices are still falling. Why should YOU take that loss? Rent! Wages in the Golden State never, ever approached a level that made buying a sensible thing to do. That bubble is still deflating, depend upon it.

Unless you get into Stanford or (I guess) USC or one of the UC schools, I think that you should think very hard about the KIND of lawyer you want to be. Unless the target is a Big Law job or a federal career or teaching or maybe one of the Silicon Valley niche firms, the thing to do is keep the cost of the J.D. to the barest minimum. Consider part-time programs. Go where they offer the best scholarship grants. Get into the California Bar owing as little as humanly possible.

Heck, I'll say it again: If all you want to be is a generic California small firm lawyer or state employee, don't reject California Bar accredited schools if that is the very cheapest route and you are ABSOLUTELY SURE that you want to stay in the Golden State for all eternity.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:08 pm

FlanAl wrote:I just saw that it counted deferrals but can't find out if it counts the deferrals that turned into no offers, guess that would be good to know but the new one will be out soon and it should paint a clearer picture.

The other issue is that alot of no offers were disproportianate. NYC was hit the hardest for that class which is why schools like Columbia that predominantly place there took a bigger hit than schools like NU, UVA and Michigan.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:29 am

BeautifulSW wrote:Unless you get into Stanford or (I guess) USC or one of the UC schools, I think that you should think very hard about the KIND of lawyer you want to be. Unless the target is a Big Law job or a federal career or teaching or maybe one of the Silicon Valley niche firms, the thing to do is keep the cost of the J.D. to the barest minimum. Consider part-time programs. Go where they offer the best scholarship grants. Get into the California Bar owing as little as humanly possible.

I am looking at a big[mid]law or a Silicon Valley niche firm, and I did get into USC.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:29 am

BeautifulSW wrote:Unless you get into Stanford or (I guess) USC or one of the UC schools, I think that you should think very hard about the KIND of lawyer you want to be. Unless the target is a Big Law job or a federal career or teaching or maybe one of the Silicon Valley niche firms, the thing to do is keep the cost of the J.D. to the barest minimum. Consider part-time programs. Go where they offer the best scholarship grants. Get into the California Bar owing as little as humanly possible.

I am looking at a big[mid]law or a Silicon Valley niche firm, and I did get into USC.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:20 am

There's no state income tax in Texas and housing is more affordable. Right now, biglaw is easier to get in TX.

I've lived in 4 different states in the past 7 years, so I guess it's harder for me to understand why people are reluctant to move or why they idolize a particular area. I've moved for college, law school, and for the foreseeable future, work. I still talk to one parent every single day. Moving away from family doesn't mean that much unless you have lived at home your entire life thus far and aren't used to living on your own. Most of my old friends have moved around, too, but I keep in contact with them via facebook, and I've made new friends in law school.

In other words, at this point you should just worry about your odds of getting a job.
Last edited by cornellbeez on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:42 am

Rick Perry or Jerry Brown? I'm taking my boy Rick. He loves puppies: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/2 ... 54397.html

meshtdagn

Postby meshtdagn » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:58 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Sorry if I offended the residents/defenders or Oakland... but, you have to admit, the city, as a whole, is incredbily dangerous. I don't care who you are, having a murder rate that is 3.5 times the national average and a violent crime rate that ranks the city 3rd in the country for all cities with more than 100,000 people is pretty bad. Sure, there are some parts of Oakland that are incredibly nice, but, as a whole, the city is dangerous. There was one car theft for every 40 people in the city... I'm sure you can live nicely there, and I enjoy visiting certain parts. I was simply making a valid statement that applies (statistically) to the whole city.

And, as I said in my first part, I'm taking the question from the prespective of married guy with kids, which is not the same for everyone. I would not be happy with a nice apartment in the city. I need a yard, large house, etc...

I'm bumping this because your thoughts on Oakland are idiotic. Most parts of Oakland are great. The Oakland hills, Rockridge, Lake Merritt, are all some of the most expensive real estate in the world. Also, there are plenty of urban living options that are not dangerous. And, even in East Oakland, it's not like you will get shot if you are hitting up a taco truck.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:31 pm

I know I'm way late, but LOLOLOLOL at "Weapon law suck."

Personally, I kind of like a state where I don't have to worry about getting shot jumping a fence to fetch a baseball, but for all you sandlot mf'ers I can understand why Texas might appeal to you.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Kronk wrote:I know I'm way late, but LOLOLOLOL at "Weapon law suck."

Personally, I kind of like a state where I don't have to worry about getting shot jumping a fence to fetch a baseball, but for all you sandlot mf'ers I can understand why Texas might appeal to you.

whatever, this is not a real concern relative to other places

I miss my guns, MISS MY GUNS

well ok, I didn't own any guns, but it's always nice to go out into a field and shoot at shit

Mavraides87

Postby Mavraides87 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:48 pm

Typical liberal. Oh yes, a lot of registered gun owners are gunning ppl down left and right right?

How about in South Chicago? Are Obama's hoodrats shooting people nonstop? But I thought Illinois didn't allow concealed carry. How does that happen?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:50 pm

Mavraides87 wrote:

Typical liberal. Oh yes, a lot of registered gun owners are gunning ppl down left and right right?

How about in South Chicago? Are Obama's hoodrats shooting people nonstop? But I thought Illinois didn't allow concealed carry. How does that happen?

Good argument! I agree, next time you go to the ghetto, carry a gun. You'll be much safer.

Postby 20160810 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:03 pm

meshtdagn wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Sorry if I offended the residents/defenders or Oakland... but, you have to admit, the city, as a whole, is incredbily dangerous. I don't care who you are, having a murder rate that is 3.5 times the national average and a violent crime rate that ranks the city 3rd in the country for all cities with more than 100,000 people is pretty bad. Sure, there are some parts of Oakland that are incredibly nice, but, as a whole, the city is dangerous. There was one car theft for every 40 people in the city... I'm sure you can live nicely there, and I enjoy visiting certain parts. I was simply making a valid statement that applies (statistically) to the whole city.

And, as I said in my first part, I'm taking the question from the prespective of married guy with kids, which is not the same for everyone. I would not be happy with a nice apartment in the city. I need a yard, large house, etc...

I'm bumping this because your thoughts on Oakland are idiotic. Most parts of Oakland are great. The Oakland hills, Rockridge, Lake Merritt, are all some of the most expensive real estate in the world. Also, there are plenty of urban living options that are not dangerous. And, even in East Oakland, it's not like you will get shot if you are hitting up a taco truck.

Normally I lock threads for months-old bumps, but this is a legit point. Oakland kicks ass. It's like SF, but there's parking and everything costs half as much. Also, the idea that one can't live on $160,000 in the Bay is retarded. I have a number of friends working law jobs in the SF area, many of which pay substantially LESS than 160, and all of them have enough money to pay rent, pay off loans, save and invest, and still live a sweet life. Don't budget like a retard and you'll be fine.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:37 am

Mavraides87 wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Chicago,_Chicago

I had to look it up, and I lived in Chicago for most of my life. Also love the racially-tinged "hoodrats" term. For me personally, there are plenty of reasons to stay the hell away from Texas period.

OP, if you're from Cali and want to work there, USC seems logical. You're just going to have to kill it. But you'd have to kill it at UT also, so w/e.

Also, all this talk about how expensive Cali is doesn't really differentiate it from NYC, where the vast majority of the 160k jobs are anyhow. Do salaries actually start at 160k for TX big law? I thought they were on a lower tier anyhow due to all the income tax and COL considerations. My impression was that only NYC/DC/Chicago/Cali started at 160k, but those are the only places I'd seriously consider looking at positions so I'm pretty biased. I'm actually considering going back to Chicago due a) having lots of friends and family there and b) COL and tax issues, but that's a separate story. Maybe I'll get to hang out with some "hoodrats" when I go back.

Edit: whoops, RC fail, didn't realize this was necro'd. Just got a little riled up by the 2nd Amendment guy... carry on.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”