International Law: Columbia v. Chicago

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Columbia v. Chicago

Columbia
89%
Chicago
11%

Total votes: 83

Non-Chalant1

Re: International Law: Columbia v. Chicago

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:01 am

worldtraveler wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:Does the OP really need the dual degree though?

For international stuff, YES.

I know people that work at the UN with nothing but a Harvard Law degree. That's why I asked this question. I just don't believe that it's true.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:06 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

I know people that work at the UN with nothing but a Harvard Law degree. That's why I asked this question. I just don't believe that it's true.

I'm worried about that as well. It adds an extra year and $$$ onto my education. My biggest worry is that possible employers might view my dual degree as a negative (like I'm not serious about law). But I would hate to miss out on a great job just because I don't have the MA. And if I'm getting the JD then it would cheaper and easier to get the MA at the same time.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:40 am

Hey-O wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

I'm worried about that as well. It adds an extra year and $$$ onto my education. My biggest worry is that possible employers might view my dual degree as a negative (like I'm not serious about law). But I would hate to miss out on a great job just because I don't have the MA. And if I'm getting the JD then it would cheaper and easier to get the MA at the same time.

Honestly, dude...I would go to CLS because it's better for the stuff you're aiming at (I'm leaning towards doing the same myself..despite liking UChi) and while you're there I would talk to professors and people in the field at the various centers at Columbia about what they think you should be doing to break in. It's always better to hear from the people who actually did something like that.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:21 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

Do you HAVE to do it? No. Is it substantially beneficial and will it assist you in getting a job in the future? Yes. You could find somebody at the UN with a lack in a number of qualifications. That doesn't mean not having them is a good idea.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:23 am

worldtraveler wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

Do you HAVE to do it? No. Is it substantially beneficial and will it assist you in getting a job in the future? Yes. You could find somebody at the UN with a lack in a number of qualifications. That doesn't mean not having them is a good idea.

As Hey-O explained...and then you explain to firms (if you end up there first) exactly why you got that other degree. The people I know from HLS...both were at firms first before making the move.

awahoya

Postby awahoya » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:00 am

Hey-O wrote:
awahoya wrote:Having spoken to friends at NYU, CLS, HLS, and GULC, I have heard that the faculties and resources available at each when it comes to both the law and joint-degree programs are virtually unparralleled. (obviously that's 4 different schools, thus the "virtually").

By this do you mean that all of the people you talked to at all schools said the had unparalleled programs? This isn't very comforting as it means they all seem similarly excellent.

Hm- I had the opposite reaction- I thought it was comforting because it would mean that even if I didn't get into one (or three) of them, I would still have a quality choice.

My friend at NYU is former Peace Corps, has a scholarship, and is definitely looking to go into pub. international law upon graduation. They described to me in detail the types of opportunities that they and other international-minded students have had with their internships, getting to know faculty, and their future career prospects.

Friends at HLS and GULC similarly spoke about how the quality of the institution and multitude of resources available to them meant that they were left wanting little when it came to exposure to international law and even policy courses (if they so desired).

My CLS friend is a 1L, and even though he spent his first year out of undergrad in Taiwan teaching English, I'm not sure what his future plans are. He was of the opinion, however, that through a joint degree with SIPA (or taking crossover courses) I wouldn't have much trouble taking things that really interest me.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”