Harvard v. Yale v. Hamilton v. Rubenstein Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Harvard
7%
Yale
52%
UChicago w/ Rubenstein
30%
Columbia w/ Hamilton
11%

Total votes: 581

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Harvard v. Yale v. Hamilton v. Rubenstein

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:31 pm

Hyde Park still wins over New Haven.

hoopla14

New

Post by hoopla14 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:31 pm

I do think Yale gives you a bump, though I'm not sure it's as great as everyone here says it is, and I think it's probably stronger out east (esp. NY/DC - didn't read anything about how you feel about DC). I think the Chicago network in Chicago is quite strong, esp. considering the local luminaries that teach there (Posner, Easterbrook, etc.).

The LRAP at Yale is amazing, limiting some of those price concerns. but you wouldn't get to take advantage of it from Kirkland or wherever.

Also got a Rubinstein today and am in at Harvard - would be leaning hard Rubinstein except the SO is going to Yale for a different program. That, along with the fact that I am most interested in academia make me lean towards Yale over all if I get in (still waiting to hear).

RTK is Root-Tilden-Kern at NYU.

dbrddr

Bronze

Post by dbrddr » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:36 pm

hoopla14 wrote:would be leaning hard Rubinstein except the SO is going to Yale for a different program.
trade me SOs?

pezd

New

Post by pezd » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:39 pm

I'm in a similar situation: Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia (with Butler, not Hamilton), and Chicago (with Rubenstein).

When financial aid is all said and done, I expect the same amount of loans out of HYS and Columbia, so I feel like Columbia (even with half-scholarship) is out for me. Rubenstein would probably cut my loans in half or better (still gotta pay to eat and live, though, and I don't THINK Rubenstein has a stipend attached to it). Are Yale, Harvard, or Stanford worth the extra $60,000-80,000 in loans?

And with all of this nice talk about Yale, how does everyone think Stanford compares to Yale or Rubenstein? For some reason, I feel really attracted to Stanford.

jcunni5

Bronze

Post by jcunni5 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:40 pm

The thing with Yale is it's basically guaranteed employment at graduation and probably for life it's pretty hard to turn that down

Yale

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hoopla14

New

Post by hoopla14 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:41 pm

dbrddr wrote:
hoopla14 wrote:would be leaning hard Rubinstein except the SO is going to Yale for a different program.
trade me SOs?
Nah, but I'll take your YLS acceptance.

rose711

Bronze

Post by rose711 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:47 pm

Your parents won't pay for you to go to Yale and they can afford it?
That is crazy. Will you be able to rely on them in the future should you get into some kind of financial trouble or will you have some kind of trust fund? (note: I do not expect an answer to that very personal question!)
If you have a strong financial backstop then I think that money/debt goes out of the equation.
At that point, Yale is probably a better choice for most people.

I don't know enough to advise you but I think Yale is a great choice. New Haven is easy to get to NYC by train (and other places too) if you have to get out of New Haven. I don't think this choice should be based on location though because you can manage New Haven.

And good luck!

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:09 pm

oxford_don wrote:
jtemp320 wrote::shock: What you didn't get into SLS, no RTK or Darrow? :roll: :lol:
Didn't apply to SLS, Michigan stiffed me on the Darrow and gave me something like $37k a year in scholarship money, and RTK? I thought I spent enough time on these boards to know everything...
RTK is Root Tilden Kern full tuition at NYU but only for public interest and I was just kidding - you dont need anymore ridicilous options...enjoy Yale or that Rubenstein.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:17 pm

rose711 wrote: I don't know enough to advise you but I think Yale is a great choice. New Haven is easy to get to NYC by train (and other places too) if you have to get out of New Haven. I don't think this choice should be based on location though because you can manage New Haven.

And good luck!
Don't go to Yale thinking that NYC is easy to get to by train. While it's not difficult, it still takes 2 hours each way. Long enough to only make it an every so often kind of thing. That said, New Haven is not as bad as people make it out to be. There are some great restaurants, bars, and exciting stuff happening. I enjoyed it for my four years of college a lot more than I thought I would.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:21 pm

New poll: why do I have the same stats and similar softs as op and just got my jr1 today, no money to Columbia, and a Yale ding. Discuss.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:22 pm

ITT: Future Congresspersons, Presidents, Governors and Justices Congregate.
oxford_don wrote:Why does nobody turn down Yale? Discuss.
I'm going to assume you know people do. My question would be "Why do those very few people who do turn down Yale make such a decision?" One possible answer is that they're debt averse, from Chicago, and admitted to UChi with a Rubenstein.

As a poster above said, there really isn't a "wrong" answer here. That said, it's definitely tougher than any decision I've had to make. Good luck!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:23 pm

slax wrote:New poll: why do I have the same stats and similar softs as op and just got my jr1 today, no money to Columbia, and a Yale ding. Discuss.
Probably has to do with being a Phillies fan.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:23 pm

slax wrote:New poll: why do I have the same stats and similar softs as op and just got my jr1 today, no money to Columbia, and a Yale ding. Discuss.
Because you're not special. (Or lucky, if you cant' handle "not special.") :wink:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:24 pm

Knock wrote:
Probably has to do with being a Phillies fan.
Also a credited response.

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:26 pm

Oxford_don makes me hate tls. No offense, just my reality

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:29 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Veyron wrote:
oxford_don wrote:I am about to sound like an idiot to some people:

Why does nobody turn down Yale? Discuss.
Yale opens doors that your average T-10, T-3, whatever just doesn't. Its not unusual to land a V5 from median and the Yale degree will put you first in line for almost everything for the rest of your life.

Harvard, CLS, and Chicago grads are far more "common." The difference between a Ferrari, a Porsche, a Mercedes, and a Bugatti (Veyron) if you will :wink:
This is not the difference between these cars at all.
? Yes it is, Ferrari is a mass produced car compared to Bugatti.

Don't EVEN mess with me about cars.

oxford_don

Bronze

Post by oxford_don » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:59 pm

Money wise, I exaggerated my parents' wealth. We are well off, but I have three younger brothers in college. My parents told me early on that anything past undergrad was all on me, and I can live with that. So this really is the difference between $230,000 and $60,000 in debt (taking undergrad debt into account).

Planning on going to Harvard ASW in March and visit Yale the week after. Not sure why Harvard is not getting any love in the poll. I was actually quite partial to it before getting into Yale. I could see myself taking Harvard over Yale for location, some faculty I am interested in, and student body.

But this is all a bit premature until I see New Haven.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

almightypush

Bronze

Post by almightypush » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:36 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Hyde Park still wins over New Haven.
pardon my ignorance, but i see this sentiment often on this site... not so much the propping up of Hyde Park, but the knocking down of New Haven. as someone wholly unfamiliar with the area, can you (or anyone) explain to me why it's so looked down upon?

hoopla14

New

Post by hoopla14 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:00 am

pezd wrote: And with all of this nice talk about Yale, how does everyone think Stanford compares to Yale or Rubenstein? For some reason, I feel really attracted to Stanford.
Do you want to practice in California? Obviously Stanford has great placement in other markets, but, particularly vs. UChicago, I think that could be the edge.

I know how you feel. Withdrew from Stanford due to the aforementioned SO, but it kind of broke my heart.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:52 am

oxford_don wrote:Money wise, I exaggerated my parents' wealth. We are well off, but I have three younger brothers in college. My parents told me early on that anything past undergrad was all on me, and I can live with that. So this really is the difference between $230,000 and $60,000 in debt (taking undergrad debt into account).

Planning on going to Harvard ASW in March and visit Yale the week after. Not sure why Harvard is not getting any love in the poll. I was actually quite partial to it before getting into Yale. I could see myself taking Harvard over Yale for location, some faculty I am interested in, and student body.

But this is all a bit premature until I see New Haven.
Because Yale >> Harvard.

It's a closer between Yale/Chicago than anything else. And I'm a "take the T14 full ride" over pretty much anything but YLS (and maybe SLS for someone from CA).

Ignatius Reilly

Bronze

Post by Ignatius Reilly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:03 am

slax wrote:Oxford_don makes me hate tls. No offense, just my reality
yep, ding at yale fail. TLSers get excited way too often about these schools

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:05 am

tkgrrett wrote:
oxford_don wrote:I am about to sound like an idiot to some people:

Why does nobody turn down Yale? Discuss.
This is a TLS myth. People turn down Yale for money fairly often.

ETA: I voted Rubenstein.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:08 am

Veyron wrote:
Don't EVEN mess with me about cars.
This is purely off topic, but you should not mention cars or tell people don't mess with you about cars when I am around ;)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:09 am

You go to the wrong school.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”