Hastings (InState) v. Irvine (IS+$) v. BU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UC Hastings
15%
UC Irvine
60%
Boston U
25%

Total votes: 20

cldplayts

Postby cldplayts » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:31 pm

CA is my top choice for where to take the bar but east coast is 2nd choice, and location in general is not terribly important. and Irvine and Hastings I get in-state tuition, Irvine gives an automatic 1/3 scholarship for class of 2014. Not expecting much $ if any from BU.

You may be fast to say BU, but I think Irvine would be an exciting place to go. Also Hastings is interesting because the bay area has a good market. It's a quandary. Any input is greatly appreciated.

patrickd139

Re: Hastings (InState) v. Irvine (IS+$) v. BU

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:48 pm

cldplayts wrote:CA is my top choice for where to take the bar but east coast is 2nd choice, and location in general is not terribly important. and Irvine and Hastings I get in-state tuition, Irvine gives an automatic 1/3 scholarship for class of 2014. Not expecting much $ if any from BU.

You may be fast to say BU, but I think Irvine would be an exciting place to go. Also Hastings is interesting because the bay area has a good market. It's a quandary. Any input is greatly appreciated.

It may not matter much to you which location you end up in (West v. East coast), but when picking between regional law schools (and all three law schools on your list are regional), which law school will (statistically) determine which market you end up in.

Other miscellaneous thoughts (in no particular order):
1) SF is a ridiculous market to break into.
2) BU's region does not encompass the entire East Coast. It's region extends to Boston, New England, and to a certain extent, New York (if you're at the top of the class). Please don't go to BU expecting to break into DC biglaw, for example.
3) Hastings is the third best (arguably tied with Davis) law school physically located in the Bay Area. Plus you have to contend with a not insubstantial group of T14 kids who want to return and have ties to the area.
4) Personally, I think UC-I will end up with better talent coming in, better job prospects leaving, and better professors while you're there, than Hastings.
5) Have you visited each school? Spoken with students who attend them? Those three schools are pretty far and different from each other.

Edited for failure to use the list element correctly.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”