Where would you go? NW/Duke/UMich/Cornell?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where would you go? (ALL STICKER)

Northwestern AJD
20%
Duke
31%
UMichigan
44%
Cornell
5%

Total votes: 80

unreality

Where would you go? NW/Duke/UMich/Cornell?

Postby unreality » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi all,

I currently live in S. Florida and I am planning on returning here to Miami for Corporate BigLaw, with a slight chance of doing BigLaw in NYC for a few year before returning to Miami. Alternatively, or possibly after a few years of BigLaw I plan on running my own business or opening my own law firm.

I know voting is fun, but if you could also add why you would choose one school over the other that would be jolly good : )

Thanks!

Fresh

Re: Where would you go? NW/Duke/UMich/Cornell?

Postby Fresh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:45 pm

In regards to markets, Miami is a TOUGH market to bank on ITE.

edit: removed quote of OP :oops:
Last edited by Fresh on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

akili

Postby akili » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:46 pm

Do you have scholarships at any of these schools?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:46 pm

Scholarship offers?

I don't think any of these is going to give you a significant advantage compared to the others in Miami.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:48 pm

If you plan on "running" your own business, then Northwestern is a good choice because you can take courses in Northwestern's renowned business school.

P.S. Might also depend upon the type of law school environment that you desire. Cornell, Duke & Michigan are located on traditional college campuses, while Northwestern's law school shares Northwestern's Chicago campus with the medical school in a very upscale part of Chicago overlooking Lake Michigan.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:49 pm

I'm not sure any school outside of HYSCC can be said to safely feed into Florida, so go with the best school of your options: Michigan.

unreality

Postby unreality » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:49 pm

As the poll states, all sticker! I do have $93K scholarship at W&L.. Even if they wont give me any career advantage which would you choose and why? I still have to pick one!!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:52 pm

unreality wrote:As the poll states, all sticker! I do have $93K scholarship at W&L.. Even if they wont give me any career advantage which would you choose and why? I still have to pick one!!

If you are choosing between schools at similar costs with similar prospects then it should be a personal decision. Which one you like more, not which one we like more.

Personally I'd take Michigan or NU for a slight placement edge. I'd take Cornell off the list first and pick between NU/Mich/Duke.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:52 pm

Perhaps NU if you can take classes at Kellogg. Otherwise, Michigan.

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:02 pm

I voted Duke b/c its placement numbers were good this last OCI something like 60-65% got a S.A.. anecdotally UM did considerably worse than that. Plus I think Duke has better placement power in NY than these other schools.

You mentioned that NW was an AJD if thats true that would make a big difference and would save you a year of tuition which amounts to a scholarship basically, so that might be your best bet

personally i would eliminate Cornell first and probably UM

TheStrand

Postby TheStrand » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:20 pm

jcunni5 wrote:You mentioned that NW was an AJD if thats true that would make a big difference and would save you a year of tuition which amounts to a scholarship basically, so that might be your best bet

AJD costs about the same as the regular JD from NU. You get billed a higher amount for your fall and spring and the summer. They price based on the degree received rather than the length of time you're in school.

*edit: Link to NU's policy on pricing AJD and JD: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... alaid.html
Last edited by TheStrand on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:22 pm

TheStrand wrote:
jcunni5 wrote:You mentioned that NW was an AJD if thats true that would make a big difference and would save you a year of tuition which amounts to a scholarship basically, so that might be your best bet

AJD costs about the same as the regular JD from NU. You get billed a higher amount for your fall and spring and the summer. They price based on the degree received rather than the length of time you're in school.

Oh my bad, I didn't know how it worked.... You still get an extra year of income though as opposed to a 3 year JD

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:23 pm

TheStrand wrote:

*edit: Link to NU's policy on pricing AJD and JD: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/academi ... alaid.html

You save a year of opportunity cost, for what it's worth.

edit: lol, I was beaten to it.

unreality

Postby unreality » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:40 pm

Thank you for all those who voted and commented!

Fresh wrote:In regards to markets, Miami is a TOUGH market to bank on ITE.

edit: removed quote of OP :oops:

Hopefully the economy will pick up a bit in the next 2-3 years which is when I would be graduating anyways. I don't really see myself living anywhere else besides Miami. I also have some friends in the BigLaw world here in Miami, hopefully they will make themselves useful when the time comes.

TheStrand wrote:

To elaborate a bit more on Northwestern's AJD, I would finish 1 ½ years earlier than a regular JD (it's 2 years instead of 3 and starts in May instead of September). As TheStrand properly clarified, I would not be saving money on tuition as they charge the same amount as for the regular JD but I would be saving money on COL for 1 ½ years and I would begin to start making money sooner. Also the AJD has a focus on business and forces you to take some business classes at Kellogg. I would imagine that if I requested to be transferred to the regular JD at NU they would probably grant that, but what's the sense in that?

For what it's worth, I should probably also mention that I already have an MBA.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:48 pm

jcunni5 wrote:I voted Duke b/c its placement numbers were good this last OCI something like 60-65% got a S.A.. anecdotally UM did considerably worse than that. Plus I think Duke has better placement power in NY than these other schools.

You mentioned that NW was an AJD if thats true that would make a big difference and would save you a year of tuition which amounts to a scholarship basically, so that might be your best bet

I'm going to go out on the limb (not really) and state that any difference in OCI numbers between Duke and Michigan were negligible. This type of hearsay bullshit is an epidemic on TLS that does nothing but a disservice.

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:20 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
jcunni5 wrote:I voted Duke b/c its placement numbers were good this last OCI something like 60-65% got a S.A.. anecdotally UM did considerably worse than that. Plus I think Duke has better placement power in NY than these other schools.

I'm going to go out on the limb (not really) and state that any difference in OCI numbers between Duke and Michigan were negligible. This type of hearsay bullshit is an epidemic on TLS that does nothing but a disservice.

Also, it's a well known fact that OCI at Michigan, whatever missteps it had, should only be a one-time event because the career office instructed students to aim lower than they should have to be safe.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:30 pm

Does anyone think Duke may give OP some advantages in the South (including Miami)? Just wonder.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:38 pm

I picked UM in the poll and IRL because I think it opens up a new market (Chicago) for you in case you either can't get to Florida or decide you don't want Florida anymore. While Duke has an advantage in the South, idk if that advantage means much for Florida and I don't think working in Atlanta > Chicago but maybe for you that is different.

unreality

Postby unreality » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:50 am

AreJay711 wrote:I picked UM in the poll and IRL because I think it opens up a new market (Chicago) for you in case you either can't get to Florida or decide you don't want Florida anymore. While Duke has an advantage in the South, idk if that advantage means much for Florida and I don't think working in Atlanta > Chicago but maybe for you that is different.

Wouldn't northwestern open up Chicago the same way as UM would?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:03 am

unreality wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:I picked UM in the poll and IRL because I think it opens up a new market (Chicago) for you in case you either can't get to Florida or decide you don't want Florida anymore. While Duke has an advantage in the South, idk if that advantage means much for Florida and I don't think working in Atlanta > Chicago but maybe for you that is different.

Wouldn't northwestern open up Chicago the same way as UM would?

It probably would. My decision was made partially based on programs with good academic placement support programs (even if academia is a long shot for anyone outside of Yale). There are differences between the schools on your list that are enough that you should be able to find one you like more than other but I would at least consider looking at a school that will expand your geographic mobility. Overall, your career prospects will be similar at all of them but not equal in the same regions.

unreality

Postby unreality » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:57 pm

tea_drinker wrote:Does anyone think Duke may give OP some advantages in the South (including Miami)? Just wonder.

I think it would, Duke is very well recognized down here although I am not sure if any more than NU or MU.. any thoughts?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:59 pm

Michigan is the cheapest and highest ranked. Go there.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”