I seriously hate to do this but... NYU vs Chicago Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Feast your eyes on THIS:

Chicago
42%
NYU
58%

Total votes: 85

glitched

Silver

I seriously hate to do this but... NYU vs Chicago

Post by glitched » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:06 pm

Yes. I have read all the past threads concerning this very topic.
Yes. I know about NYU's PI programs and Chicago's clerkship/academia placement.
Yes. I know about the supposed "rigors" of Chicago.
Yes. I know the difference in NLJ placements between Chicago and NYU may be statistically insignicant.

But as the title suggests, I hate to do this, but why Chicago or NYU? This is a new year, and many things may have changed in that time. And this is about ME and MY circumstances and I'd like some advice from some of you. And also a poll cause come on - a poll makes differences in opinion visually appetizing.

Short autobiography to help aid me in my decision:
Born and raised in CA, went to undergrad in CA and still lives in CA. I might have to leave CA for one of these schools (it's wonderful here, but it wouldn't be so bad to experience something new for a few years). I decided rather late to pursue law, but I do not know fully what I want out of it - whether it be academia, clerkship, or big law. I am sure that I will get almost no money from both schools.

Bottom line, I want three things:
1. Between the two, a good experience outside of CA
2. Flexibility - I want to be able to decide in law school what I want to do and where I want to live afterwards and have the best chance at succeeding at it.
3. Money. I want to be safe from debt while not having to worry about paying bills/rent. Also I would like to start a family one or two years after LS and being able to afford that.

TL, DR summary:
2011 version of the one of the most played out unsettled debates on TLS that always ends in "NYU for LRAP, clerkship/academia for Chicago, and THERE IS NO F'IN STATISTICAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO SO JUST CHOOSE WHERE YOU'LL BE HAPPY YOU DOUCHE! Yeah... but where will I be happy? Well it depends if you want PI or cler.... F YOU!"
Last edited by glitched on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

boozehound

Bronze

Re: I seriously hate to do this but... NYU vs Chicago

Post by boozehound » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:08 pm

I would recommend getting a parrot.

jonas

Bronze

Post by jonas » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:11 pm

The correct answer is NYU, mostly because of your criterion #1.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:14 pm

I chose Chicago, but only becuase I hate NYC and, although Chicago has lost their some of their conservative edge, they are still much less liberal than most other schools.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:14 pm

Visit both schools, talk to students and see where you feel more comfortable. If there's no money difference, I think it just comes down to personal preference. Based on your circumstances, I don't think there are objective reasons for picking one or the other.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DorianGray89

Bronze

Post by DorianGray89 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:14 pm

What city do you like the best? NYC or Chicago? Where do you want to spend three years during law school? Cost of living in Chicago is cheaper.

mapes

New

Post by mapes » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:15 pm

I'm in kind of a similar boat to you. Accepted to both schools, will most likely be paying close to full cost to both. Im not from Cali, but from out west also (CO), and i also want some flexibility with where to live after i graduate... Just remember, you don't need to give firms in NY a reason that you want to move to NYC, even if you go to Chicago. So you'll have NY, Chicago, and California markets more open to you, which is pretty cool. From NYC, Chicago will be less of an option.

Just something I've considered a little. Good luck, you have great options.

Fresh

Silver

Post by Fresh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:16 pm

I'll press the 'Pause this thread til after ASWs' button

DorianGray89

Bronze

Post by DorianGray89 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:17 pm

Also, a lot of people at NYU are going to stay in NYC, if you come from UChicago you diversify their (BigLawinNYC) hiring (you're not another NYU kid).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:21 pm

If it were me, I would go to Chicago in a heartbeat. I don't know where you should go though.

mapes

New

Post by mapes » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:23 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:Also, a lot of people at NYU are going to stay in NYC, if you come from UChicago you diversify their (BigLawinNYC) hiring (you're not another NYU kid).
i think this is a good point. obviously chicago isn't going to outpace NYU in new york, but those firms want kids other than the same old NYU/Columbia grads.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:39 pm

Depends upon which city you like better. Visit each school & then decide.

P.S. The students might be a bit more liberal at NYU.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:41 pm

As a 0L who's lived down in Hyde Park and lived in the Village, I'll tell you those are two very different experiences. Kenwood/Hyde Park is kind of isolated from the rest of Chicago. There are a couple of CTA buses that go up north, the Metra, and U of C has a shuttle that runs periodically. Between Hyde Park and downtown there's a lot of sketchy neighborhoods basically. U of C security has police power, and they are everywhere around there, so it's probably at least as safe as NYU. NYU is in a much more central and active neighborhood. It's up to you how much bearing all that has on your decision, but I'm thinking there's an even more marked difference between U of C and NYU, than CLS and NYU, in terms of campus feel and location.

U of C does have a reputation for being wicked conservative. Posner and his buddies seem brilliant, but I was worried about the diversity of perspectives that would be taught? That Todd Henderson guy who blogged that he was poor because he only made a touch above 250k teaches there. I was just kind of worried there'd be a lot of professors espousing similar political positions, but you can find that out. NYU I don't have a clear picture on, it seems more liberal though... probably because of their reputation for PI.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:42 pm

Fresh wrote:I'll press the 'Pause this thread til after ASWs' button

jcunni5

Bronze

Post by jcunni5 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:45 pm

You'll have a lot better experience in terms of enjoyment at NYU i think, Hyde Park (where U of C is) a miserable depressing place and you're not gonna wanna get on the shitty green line every time you want to have a good time. NYU from my understanding is in one of the coolest places in NYC.

I think that Chicago is a slightly more national school placing in more markets since NYU is very NY centric so that might be a point for U of C

U Chi will probably have a cheaper COL for sure

I think NYU is overall the better choice though, the "rigor" of U of C and Hyde Park would just suck too much for 3 years

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:48 pm

jcunni5 wrote:You'll have a lot better experience in terms of enjoyment at NYU i think, Hyde Park (where U of C is) a miserable depressing place and you're not gonna wanna get on the shitty green line every time you want to have a good time. NYU from my understanding is in one of the coolest places in NYC.

I think that Chicago is a slightly more national school placing in more markets since NYU is very NY centric so that might be a point for U of C

I think NYU is overall the better choice though, the "rigor" of U of C and Hyde Park would just suck too much for 3 years
I really disagree with your description of Hyde Park.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:51 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
jcunni5 wrote:You'll have a lot better experience in terms of enjoyment at NYU i think, Hyde Park (where U of C is) a miserable depressing place and you're not gonna wanna get on the shitty green line every time you want to have a good time. NYU from my understanding is in one of the coolest places in NYC.

Eh... I don't lol. I didn't have a car when I lived there though, and it was a few years ago. It's really just a pain in the ass to get "into the city." It's certainly not all bad, and there's plenty of reasons you might dislike being in the center of all that shit like NYU is, but I'm not a fan of Hyde Park personally.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jcunni5

Bronze

Post by jcunni5 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:52 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:

How would you characterize it? I understand if you are really studious and love to be immersed in academia then its great, but if you want to go out and have fun it's pretty far from all the prime locations in the city.

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:53 pm

glitched wrote:this is about ME and MY circumstances

ITT: OP reveals the true story of his/her life.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:54 pm

jcunni5 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

How would you characterize it? I understand if you are really studious and love to be immersed in academia then its great, but if you want to go out and have fun it's pretty far from all the prime locations in the city.
I think we are just looking for two different things from a city. I would never live in the Village, but I love Hyde Park. Just pointing out that not everyone feels that way.

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:55 pm

Bolded is exactly right.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:59 pm

blink wrote:

Bolded is exactly right.
Why didn't you guys take the red line?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:02 pm

IMHO, with your criteria, it comes down to which city you like more.

jcunni5

Bronze

Post by jcunni5 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:09 pm

ahduth wrote:
blink wrote:

Bolded is exactly right.
Why didn't you guys take the red line?
I guess you could take the redline too which is definitely a better line, I just thought the green line was closer to U Chi's campus. Although getting on at 63rd or Garfield and taking it to Clark/Division, Fullerton, Addison is basically just as big of a pain
Last edited by jcunni5 on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:10 pm

damn... i guess it'll come down to ASW it looks. but i don't even know if i can afford to go to both. lame.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”