a

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU vs Texas $$$

NYU
46%
Texas $$$
54%

Total votes: 59

jd2b1010

a

Postby jd2b1010 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:52 am

a
Last edited by jd2b1010 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duckmoney

Re: NYU vs Texas ($$$)

Postby duckmoney » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:58 am

If you want a job in NYC or on the east coast, go NYU. If you'd be happy with Texas, take the money and run.

I don't think you would have any trouble getting a job in Texas with a UT law degree, I think that qualifies for ties to the state, but don't have any experience.

Also, I know plenty of people from non-UT schools like Vandy and UVA with no ties at all to Texas who get firm jobs there. The Texas tribalism thing is overblown.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:08 am

I wouldn't pass up UT in this scenario. UT doesn't place amazingly well in NYC, but it WILL get you a good job in TX. If you dont mind living in Texas I would take it. If you are NYC or bust I would take NYU.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:12 am

In the same situation, OP.

It really comes down to whether you want to live in Texas after grad.

I would really like going to UT for 3 years, but I don't think I would want to stay in Texas for much longer after that. That's why I'm probs just going to pay sticker-ish at NYU.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:21 am

Texas, although it is interesting that one would apply to both of these schools.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:41 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Texas, although it is interesting that one would apply to both of these schools.

Naw, I'd have applied to both if UT had sent me a fee waiver.

OP, I'd go NYU, you don't seem certain of where you want to practice, and an NYU degree is portable anywhere in the country. Plus, NYU hasn't released any merit information yet, afaik.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:48 am

I wrote "interesting", not "incomprehensible".

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:54 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I wrote "interesting", not "incomprehensible".

He likes both places. I even applied to both places even though I don't like NYC.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:55 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

logistikon

Postby logistikon » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:18 pm

this is such an interesting series of responses to OP.... every piece of info out there says there are like no jobs for anyone and then ITT everyone says go outside the T14 for $$ over a T6?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:21 pm

logistikon wrote:this is such an interesting series of responses to OP.... every piece of info out there says there are like no jobs for anyone and then ITT everyone says go outside the T14 for $$ over a T6?

Yeah, I don't get it, particularly since the OP doesn't seem to be particularly wedded to any particular practice area or location yet. T6 is a bunch of jumps up the ladder, compared with Texas. Debt you can pay off, but you can't redo that first job after school.

kwais

Postby kwais » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:24 pm

I'm in a similar boat (Texas $$ or Columbia). It keeps coming back to the "do you want to live in Texas?" thing for me. I still haven't decided but Columbia creeps higher every day. Good Luck

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:41 pm

ahduth wrote:
logistikon wrote:this is such an interesting series of responses to OP.... every piece of info out there says there are like no jobs for anyone and then ITT everyone says go outside the T14 for $$ over a T6?

Yeah, I don't get it, particularly since the OP doesn't seem to be particularly wedded to any particular practice area or location yet. T6 is a bunch of jumps up the ladder, compared with Texas. Debt you can pay off, but you can't redo that first job after school.

Yeah but if you want to chill and live in Texas, UT with $$$ is sweet. Also, nyu (or any ls outside YHS) at sticker is a little scary.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Totally. Like no jobs. Like totally. Every piece of information of info out there says it. The 60% of UT grads working in private practice have actually been, like totally hooked into the matrix. There's no jobs. They just think they're working. Like, woah.

mfeller2

Postby mfeller2 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I'm going to visit both and hope NYU offers me something, but NYU's high tuition plus COL is ridiculous. To pay off that type of debt be prepared to commit to BigLaw, or public interest and use LRAP. I'm leaning toward UT, it's a great school and it is possible to get jobs outside of Texas. With low debt you'd have more options, which would be smart since it doesn't sound like you know what you want to do with a law degree. Just my 2 cents.

jd2b1010

a

Postby jd2b1010 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:15 pm

a

Mottiliatta

Postby Mottiliatta » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:34 pm

Op, I'm in the same boat. I'm a native Texan and would work in Dallas, but it's hard to pass up the options that nyu offers. When you've weighed all the options, let me know. I'd rather you make this decision for me.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Mottiliatta wrote:Op, I'm in the same boat. I'm a native Texan and would work in Dallas, but it's hard to pass up the options that nyu offers. When you've weighed all the options, let me know. I'd rather you make this decision for me.

Dude if you are from TX, get in state tuition, want to end up in TX, and are getting big-time $$ from TX, then your choice shouldn't be as hard as you are making it seem. Don't let "prestige" or rankings cloud what seems like a logical choice.

Mottiliatta

Postby Mottiliatta » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:07 pm

It's not huge money: 12k/yr. But instate makes the diff in debt large. Fwiw, I'm about 98% sure that you are correct, dakatz. Anyway, don't want to hijack. My apologies to the op.

jd2b1010

a

Postby jd2b1010 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:36 am

a

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:00 am

First off, Texas is fairing better than most, if not all, states right now. Your statement is absurd.

bleedblue

Postby bleedblue » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:06 am

I'm making the same decision. The only twist in my story is my SO hates NYC and wants to go to Texas. But I think I've moved toward Texas as well for a number of reasons.

1. Getting jobs. Austin is the fastest growing city around right now. While NYC is always chalk full of jobs, everyone wants those. Going to Texas allows you great access to the most popular market right now by going to the best school in the state (rather than the second best school in the city). Plus if you want to work in NYC many people from Texas seem to get jobs (at least the top 10%) in NY. Additionally, all of those big firms have offices in Houston and Dallas that would love a UT grad.

2. Quality of Life. Even though everything that happens, happens in NYC, it is impossible to go to any of it. One because of money. Going to a Giants or Knicks game would be rather pricey compared to going to a Texas basketball or football game. Austin is supposed to be an incredibly hip and active city just like NYC on a smaller scale, but you will actually be able to afford to do stuff.

Now if you get money at NYU that makes the whole story different. But I agree with the fact that Texas with less debt gives you a lot of options that you might not have at NYU with lots of debt. Plus you can live in a real apartment for a quarter of the price of some studio in NYC. NYC will be more fun when you have a good job and a way to afford the COL.

I haven't decided yet totally. Especially since I"ve never been to Texas so i have to make my visit and see whats good in Austin. But I'm strongly leaning toward Texas over NYU or Columbia right now. But I am also debt averse and have my NYC averse SO.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:29 pm

bleedblue wrote:I'm making the same decision. The only twist in my story is my SO hates NYC and wants to go to Texas. But I think I've moved toward Texas as well for a number of reasons.

1. Getting jobs. Austin is the fastest growing city around right now. While NYC is always chalk full of jobs, everyone wants those. Going to Texas allows you great access to the most popular market right now by going to the best school in the state (rather than the second best school in the city). Plus if you want to work in NYC many people from Texas seem to get jobs (at least the top 10%) in NY. Additionally, all of those big firms have offices in Houston and Dallas that would love a UT grad.

2. Quality of Life. Even though everything that happens, happens in NYC, it is impossible to go to any of it. One because of money. Going to a Giants or Knicks game would be rather pricey compared to going to a Texas basketball or football game. Austin is supposed to be an incredibly hip and active city just like NYC on a smaller scale, but you will actually be able to afford to do stuff.

Now if you get money at NYU that makes the whole story different. But I agree with the fact that Texas with less debt gives you a lot of options that you might not have at NYU with lots of debt. Plus you can live in a real apartment for a quarter of the price of some studio in NYC. NYC will be more fun when you have a good job and a way to afford the COL.

I haven't decided yet totally. Especially since I"ve never been to Texas so i have to make my visit and see whats good in Austin. But I'm strongly leaning toward Texas over NYU or Columbia right now. But I am also debt averse and have my NYC averse SO.

google studios in DFW. The price difference will blow you away

mst

Postby mst » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:30 pm

bleedblue wrote:Austin is supposed to be an incredibly hip and active city just like NYC on a smaller scale, but you will actually be able to afford to do stuff.

No. There is no "small" new york. There's NYC and then there are other American cities with sprawling metro areas and small downtowns and limited club/bar/music scenes (with a few notable exceptions). I'm not saying the latter is a bad option. I'm just saying that if you are going to compare the two as roughly the same you are deluding yourself.

And if it helps, when I was doing the tour of NYU law last fall, my tourguide had specifically brought this up as her dilemma: tex with major cash or nyu. she went nyu and said it was the best decision of her life. granted, she was PI. But seriously there's a very noticeable difference in the level of education, learning environment, and exit opportunities between the schools. Location should be a factor, but not a major one. Schools like Texas are great and all, but you step into a school like NYU and listen to their professors lecture and look at your fellow students achievements and backgrounds and there just isn't a comparison.

if you're truly, honestly set on texas for the rest of your life, and will be completely happy with that lifestyle, texas might be the right choice in this situation. otherwise, take the leap and do something amazing, not just great!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:33 pm

mst: How do you know that there is no comparison between the students at NYU & Texas ? Are you familiar with both law school student bodies ? Thanks !

Return to “Choosing a Law School”