SMU ($$$) or Georgia

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
JerrySeinfeld
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 pm

SMU ($$$) or Georgia

Postby JerrySeinfeld » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:30 pm

Been accepted to both. Georgia with in-state tuition all 3 years and SMU with a $34k per year scholarship.

I have no preference upon working in Texas or Georgia; either one is fine with me.

Which one is the better choice?

User avatar
JerrySeinfeld
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: SMU ($$$) or Georgia

Postby JerrySeinfeld » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:59 pm

Anyone?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18416
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: SMU ($$$) or Georgia

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:02 pm

SMU. Second best school in a decent market on top of getting a lot of scholly money.

User avatar
JerrySeinfeld
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: SMU ($$$) or Georgia

Postby JerrySeinfeld » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:04 pm

bk1 wrote:SMU. Second best school in a decent market on top of getting a lot of scholly money.


I'm assuming the job prospects are about the same, or is SMU maybe even a little better?

User avatar
Stonewall
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:19 am

Re: SMU ($$$) or Georgia

Postby Stonewall » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Atl has had a tough time rebounding, so I'd take the smu cash fwiw

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18416
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: SMU ($$$) or Georgia

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:17 pm

JerrySeinfeld wrote:
bk1 wrote:SMU. Second best school in a decent market on top of getting a lot of scholly money.


I'm assuming the job prospects are about the same, or is SMU maybe even a little better?


The NLJ250 has a marked difference between the two (23% vs 16%). While it is probably worse now as those numbers were for the class of 2009, I'd hazard that Atlanta is worse off than Dallas. If you're fine with TX, I think this is a slam dunk for SMU if it is cheaper.

What would your total CoA be at the two?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU ($$$) or Georgia

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:22 pm

I dig SMU, for what it's worth. I wanted to go elsewhere, but I'm not sorry I ended up here. Dallas is a pretty decent market right now.

Are you a Georgia resident, or is the in-state just to entice you? If so, are there any stipulations on it?

User avatar
JerrySeinfeld
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: SMU ($$$) or Georgia

Postby JerrySeinfeld » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:50 pm

I'm not a Georgia resident, just simply got in-state for year one and i'm assuming I can achieve residency after 1 year.

CoA for each school would be roughly...

Georgia- $90,000
SMU-$50,000

ClutchCity24
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Re: SMU ($$$) or Georgia

Postby ClutchCity24 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:53 pm

Go with SMU. The job prospects are better with SMU and its cheaper for you to attend. As long as you dont mind Dallas or Texas as whole.

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11721
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: SMU ($$$) or Georgia

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:53 pm

JerrySeinfeld wrote:I'm not a Georgia resident, just simply got in-state for year one and i'm assuming I can achieve residency after 1 year.

CoA for each school would be roughly...

Georgia- $90,000
SMU-$50,000



Wait, it would be $40,000 more to go to Georgia than to SMU?

That shouldn't even be a choice since you aren't set on being in Georgia. Even if you were, you still might consider SMU. But as you have no preference, SMU all the way.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6047
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: SMU ($$$) or Georgia

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:01 pm

Go to SMU. The Dallas market is doing pretty good (has weathered things a bit better than other markets), and SMU places great in the area. Also, when I move back we can be best friends.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18416
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: SMU ($$$) or Georgia

Postby bk1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:20 pm

kalvano wrote:
JerrySeinfeld wrote:I'm not a Georgia resident, just simply got in-state for year one and i'm assuming I can achieve residency after 1 year.

CoA for each school would be roughly...

Georgia- $90,000
SMU-$50,000



Wait, it would be $40,000 more to go to Georgia than to SMU?

That shouldn't even be a choice since you aren't set on being in Georgia. Even if you were, you still might consider SMU. But as you have no preference, SMU all the way.


+1 to this.

WVUguy11
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Re: SMU ($$$) or Georgia

Postby WVUguy11 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:49 pm

Your bound for a great career no matter what you choose, but after watching the ESPN's 30 for 30 about SMU's football program...how can you not go to SMU?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests