No purchase necessary: rank v cash

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Rank vs Scratch

Higher rank (T20)
12%
Higher rank only inside T14
69%
Places offering delicious shinies
19%

Total votes: 26

Guicciardini

No purchase necessary: rank v cash

Postby Guicciardini » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:25 pm

So, my cycle's not close to over yet, but what I was wondering was a general question:

Since I won't have to worry about financing law school at all, is it always and everywhere better to take the higher ranked choice?

duckmoney

Re: No purchase necessary: rank v cash

Postby duckmoney » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:31 pm

No, because location also matters. If you want to practice in Alabama, for instance, take Bama over UGA (even though UGA is slightly higher ranked this year). Or if you want to work in DC, take UVA over Boalt.

On the other hand, if you don't have to worry about money, and a school is SIGNIFICANTLY better and has a national reach, take that school no question. For instance, even if you want to work in Alabama and the choice is between Bama and Columbia, the choice is pretty clear.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:32 pm

If you have an infinite source of money then just go to the best school in the place you want to practice. This wouldn't matter if the best school you got into is national.

Guicciardini

Postby Guicciardini » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:37 pm

FiveSermon wrote:If you have an infinite source of money then just go to the best school in the place you want to practice. This wouldn't matter if the best school you got into is national.

Well, I want to practice Houston, LA, DC or NY - although the order fluctuates in my head, and I'm trying to ascertain whether it's better to do Cornell vs USC, Texas vs W&M, GWU vs WL, UMich v Cornell or USC or Texas, etc.

My two primary interests are in Oil/NatGas and crossborder litigation/arbitration.

I should really have said T14, lower half or so, because if I get into NYU, and, believe me, it would be a long shot with my numbers, it would be largely due to legacy/donations/connections, and in order not to piss those people off, I'd have to go no matter what (and of course, they're liable to be more pissed off if I don't go and I get in than if I try and fail)

Edit: Obviously, if I don't get into anything, this is all rather moot, but it's a question that my family - which is providing me with liquidity for law school - is extremely interested in.

Just because I don't have to worry about paying for law school at all, doesn't mean my mother wouldn't love to see me get substantially lower tuition

Return to “Choosing a Law School”