WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
lawandi
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

Postby lawandi » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:53 am

I'm in this same situation, minus the indebted spouse part.

This may seem off topic, but you should consider proximity to your wife's school, for reasons such as air fare, general happiness...

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:54 am

I want to reemphasize the difficulty in getting appellate work. I've had two 1L interviews with firms that have top-notch appellate practices at both the state and federal level, and both have been very honest with me that it's not something even gifted first-years are thrown into (as a primary practice, at least). I'm also sure that I want to do appellate work, and will be preferencing appellate firms when I bid next year, but even "settling" for it at midlaw is something that will require incredible grades + intangibles + luck to manage coming out next year.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:01 am

bk1 wrote:
rad law wrote:
bk1 wrote:
ihp12 wrote:In a good year, isn't Vandy high 40s big law and WUSTL high 20s? I know that's not top-14 good, but its decent. Can I at least safely assume that if I'm at median at either school that I have a chance of snagging midlaw and at or above 100k?


Vandy had high 40's biglaw pre-ITE but with the economy tanking things are quite different. Vandy probably has around high 30's to almost 40% placement at the moment according to the data I saw leaked a while back.

The problem is that midlaw isn't a very large section of the legal market so it really isn't something to count on. You might get midlaw (or even biglaw) at median out of Vandy but there is also a solid chance you end up in smalllaw. Considering the chances that you will get smalllaw out of Vandy are decently high, it just makes the risk not worth it when considering you will have sticker debt from there and your wife will have sticker debt as well.

Honestly I would take something that can get you at least 50% chance at biglaw (i.e. T12) or take a full ride somewhere so you can minimize your debt.


If you've got some connections to Southern markets, or other smaller markets where midsize firms predominate, midlaw may be a possibility. Pay varies widely.


That's a good point. Though I'd call many of those firms biglaw (my definition being those that pay the market rate in a given area).


say i'm choosing between regional schools (i.e. wustl and emory), and i'd be fine working in the midwest or the south. i have significant ties to atlanta. would it make more sense to go to wustl, and try to open up additional markets, or would wustl still pretty much limit me to the midwest?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:10 am

fatduck wrote:say i'm choosing between regional schools (i.e. wustl and emory), and i'd be fine working in the midwest or the south. i have significant ties to atlanta. would it make more sense to go to wustl, and try to open up additional markets, or would wustl still pretty much limit me to the midwest?


I think it would help your overall chances at landing something (because you can mass mail your home market). That being said, if you are from ATL I think WUSTL would definitely hurt your chances compared to Emory so you'd have to accept less of a chance at that market.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:13 am

bk1 wrote:
fatduck wrote:say i'm choosing between regional schools (i.e. wustl and emory), and i'd be fine working in the midwest or the south. i have significant ties to atlanta. would it make more sense to go to wustl, and try to open up additional markets, or would wustl still pretty much limit me to the midwest?


I think it would help your overall chances at landing something (because you can mass mail your home market). That being said, if you are from ATL I think WUSTL would definitely hurt your chances compared to Emory so you'd have to accept less of a chance at that market.


yea, that's what i thought. i'll probably just go with the cheapest option, then.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

Postby NU_Jet55 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:13 am

Don't go to Vandy at sticker.

WUSTL or retake

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:14 am

bk1 wrote:
fatduck wrote:say i'm choosing between regional schools (i.e. wustl and emory), and i'd be fine working in the midwest or the south. i have significant ties to atlanta. would it make more sense to go to wustl, and try to open up additional markets, or would wustl still pretty much limit me to the midwest?


I think it would help your overall chances at landing something (because you can mass mail your home market). That being said, if you are from ATL I think WUSTL would definitely hurt your chances compared to Emory so you'd have to accept less of a chance at that market.


Yeah I'd agree with this. You're gonna have an interesting time trying to explain "Why WUSTL" at every screener.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:15 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:Don't go to Vandy at sticker.

WUSTL or retake


T19 SECURE lololololololol

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

Postby NU_Jet55 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:20 am

rad law wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:Don't go to Vandy at sticker.

WUSTL or retake


T19 SECURE lololololololol


Shut up or we'll start picking off professors like we did your administration/CSO.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:22 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
rad law wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:Don't go to Vandy at sticker.

WUSTL or retake


T19 SECURE lololololololol


Shut up or we'll start picking off professors like we did your administration/CSO.


Cool professors are worthless anyway. The just write stupid fucking articles that no one reads. It's less productive than jacking off.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:23 am

rad law wrote:
bk1 wrote:
fatduck wrote:say i'm choosing between regional schools (i.e. wustl and emory), and i'd be fine working in the midwest or the south. i have significant ties to atlanta. would it make more sense to go to wustl, and try to open up additional markets, or would wustl still pretty much limit me to the midwest?


I think it would help your overall chances at landing something (because you can mass mail your home market). That being said, if you are from ATL I think WUSTL would definitely hurt your chances compared to Emory so you'd have to accept less of a chance at that market.


Yeah I'd agree with this. You're gonna have an interesting time trying to explain "Why WUSTL" at every screener.


so you think it'd be better to go to emory, being from atl? so i can have an advantage over my yankee classmates who have to deal with "why emory?"

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

Postby NU_Jet55 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:23 am

rad law wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
rad law wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:Don't go to Vandy at sticker.

WUSTL or retake


T19 SECURE lololololololol


Shut up or we'll start picking off professors like we did your administration/CSO.


Cool professors are worthless anyway. The just write stupid fucking articles that no one reads. It's less productive than jacking off.


LOL this is gold.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

Postby Grizz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:26 am

fatduck wrote:
rad law wrote:
bk1 wrote:
fatduck wrote:say i'm choosing between regional schools (i.e. wustl and emory), and i'd be fine working in the midwest or the south. i have significant ties to atlanta. would it make more sense to go to wustl, and try to open up additional markets, or would wustl still pretty much limit me to the midwest?


I think it would help your overall chances at landing something (because you can mass mail your home market). That being said, if you are from ATL I think WUSTL would definitely hurt your chances compared to Emory so you'd have to accept less of a chance at that market.


Yeah I'd agree with this. You're gonna have an interesting time trying to explain "Why WUSTL" at every screener.


so you think it'd be better to go to emory, being from atl? so i can have an advantage over my yankee classmates who have to deal with "why emory?"


Don't go for sticker, and have fun at that shithole (I went), but enjoy. Or whatever.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:28 am

wouldn't dream of paying sticker :shock:

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

Postby Law Sauce » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:25 am

If you are not in the BigLaw clerkship train at these two schools. What happens to you? and is what happens to you significantly different at Vandy than at Wustl or vise versa?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18421
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: WUSTL $$ vs Vandy

Postby bk1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:26 pm

Law Sauce wrote:If you are not in the BigLaw clerkship train at these two schools. What happens to you? and is what happens to you significantly different at Vandy than at Wustl or vise versa?


I'd imagine what happens to you (as in the job you get) is more dependent on you than the school. I would imagine that the region you get is more dependent on the school (unless you are snagging something from somewhere you have ties to).




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests