Richmond, Va

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which LS is better for a Medium-Large Firm in Richmond, Va?

U of Richmond
86%
Wake Forest
5%
American U
9%

Total votes: 22

girlonfire

Richmond, Va

Postby girlonfire » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:12 am

Quick poll-

If you wanted to work at a medium or large firm in Richmond, VA, which school would you choose??

quadsixm

Re: Richmond, Va

Postby quadsixm » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:14 am

girlonfire wrote:Quick poll-

If you wanted to work at a medium or large firm in Richmond, VA, which school would you choose??

Any ties to Richmond?

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:17 am

quadsixm wrote:
girlonfire wrote:Quick poll-

Any ties to Richmond?

Some distant family (a couple of locally known business men, one held a small position in local gov. for a while), but I really just absolutely love the city...

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:27 am

Lol at even considering Wake Forest or American.

I have spent a day at a large firm in Richmond VA, and the only school that seemed to be represented outside of the T14, was Richmond (there were probably a few W&M or W&Lee grads somewhere in the mix- but I didn't personally see or meet them). Go to Wake forest if you want to work in NC and American if you want a crack at DC and well you see where I am going with this one.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:41 am

Since you don't have strong ties to the city/region, I would not get your heart set on being able to land a biglaw or midlaw job in Richmond. You can forget trying to get a job there from Wake or American. At Richmond, you're going to have to be near the top of your class. If being in the city of Richmond is your #1 priority, there's a very high chance you won't get the kind of job you're looking for. Until you know your grades, focus on networking with smaller firms and state/local government employers.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”