Planning my Career in Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SgtKing

New

Planning my Career in Law

Post by SgtKing » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:57 pm

I am about to finish my tour of duty with the Army. As you may of guessed I am planning a career in law. I have the GI bill and the yellow Ribbon program going for me along with a 165 on the LSAT and a 3.2 undergrad GPA. I also have access to the VA home loan program to help me out during my time in law school. Unfortunately, I am having a hard time deciding where to go to school at. I have a family to support while I attend school; (a wife and two children). At the same time, I have decided that schools located in cities with high cost of living are out of the question, Portland, Seattle, or San Diego etc. However, I want to practice business law in Eastern Washington, Idaho, or Alaska. I wouldn't mind practicing in Nor Cal (north of San Fran). But, I don't see any Pacific Northwest/Mountain State schools cracking that market. I have no biglaw aspirations and I would be comfortable with a midlaw career. Starting at 60-80k+ wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. So my question to you is, which school it it?

Additionally, I have noticed that several schools offer hybrid or cross over programs where you can earn a J.D and say a Macc. What would be the value of picking up my Macc if I want to practice business law? Would it enhance my resume, allow me to pull down more money starting out, create additional opportunity, or just waste an extra year of my life?

Thank you for your time.

ATR

Silver

Re: Planning my Career in Law

Post by ATR » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:49 pm

3.2/165 is a pretty decent resume for LS. Since you seem oriented to the Pacific Northwest, I suggest applying next cycle to Lewis and Clark and Seattle University.

I'm not really familiar with many other schools in the area, but if I were you, I'd go through this list and find schools which 1) seem reasonably likely to accept you (i.e., LSAT at/above/very close to median, same with GPA) and 2) are in the region in which you'd like to practice.

Something else to keep in mind: all of the law schools you'll be considering will be very regional, meaning that you should expect to work very close to where you will graduate.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:58 pm

congratulations on making the best decision of your life, and i don't mean going to law school :)

take a shot at UW, too, though they can be a bit picky about gpa

SgtKing

New

Post by SgtKing » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:05 am

congratulations on making the best decision of your life, and i don't mean going to law school.
Fuck the army

Seattle University and Lewis and Clark are in Seattle and Portland respectively. The cost of living there is just too prohibitive, especially in the housing market. Any thoughts on University of Idaho or Gonzaga? UW is attractive since it is the top PCNW school, but again it's in Seattle.

SpenCox

New

Post by SpenCox » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:12 am

I understand your concern with higher cost of living areas, but it would also be partially to fully offset with an increased monthly BAH. Along with the improved employment prospects of a more well known school, it might help make something like Seattle a better choice in the long run. Just something to think about.

This assumes you are using the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SgtKing

New

Post by SgtKing » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:54 am

I hate to be guilty of stalking my own thread too much, but I have a lot of time on my hands, which you people are paying for. Go taxes!

I would definately be using the New GI Bill. From what I can tell UW isn't a yellow ribbon school. Attendence would greatly depend on what kind of $$ they offered and where I could live/quality of life during law school. I realize law school is an investment in my future, however, my primary responsibilities and obligations have and always will be my daughters and my wife. If I didn't attend UW or was not accepted I feel like Gonzaga is over priced and if I where to go to Gonzaga, I may as well just go to UofI instead since it costs 1/3 of the price and I would have zero debt when I finished the program. If I went to UofI I know I could easily work in Boise or the rest of Idaho. I'm curious what my chances would be in the Eastern WA markets (Tri-cities/Spokane).

Any insight into my second question about the Macc and the J.D? I've googled the shit out of this, unfortunately I have been unable to find any satisfactory information.

SpenCox

New

Post by SpenCox » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:18 am

The newest change to the P9/11 GIB means that all public school tuition is paid for. Private schools are capped at 17,500 + whatever YR contribution the school might have.

Check out the VA's website for the GI Bill and take a look at the FAQ's, question # 2.

http://www.gibill.va.gov/

SgtKing

New

Post by SgtKing » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:40 am

I'm tracking on that, but from what I've heard that Bill hasn't passed the House, only the Senate.

Has this changed?

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:44 am

Since you want the Pacific Northwest, and Idaho- appply to as many schools in the area ( and Boise state, and idaho) and go with the one wiht the best offer. Also see what the schools in California have to offer, as well as in oregon and washington. Maybe there are other local schools that place well in the region. I would suggest waiting until the fall to apply, and using this time to do your research.
best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:58 am

SgtKing wrote:
congratulations on making the best decision of your life, and i don't mean going to law school.
Fuck the army
my new favorite poster :D you can't imagine how much happier you're going to be. congrats.
SgtKing wrote:I'm tracking on that, but from what I've heard that Bill hasn't passed the House, only the Senate.

Has this changed?
obama signed it a few days ago, so it's definitely happening, and should cover all tuition at U of W.
SgtKing wrote:Any insight into my second question about the Macc and the J.D? I've googled the shit out of this, unfortunately I have been unable to find any satisfactory information.
not sure about a JD/Macc in particular, but i personally did a lot of research about JD/MBA programs and the consensus seems to be "eh, might help, might not." the issue is it seems like a decent idea, but it's hard to think of any jobs that are really opened up by virtue of having a Macc. there's not much overlap: there aren't really legal jobs that require both, and if you're not going to be working in a job that requires a JD...why go to law school?

SgtKing

New

Post by SgtKing » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:23 pm

Wow, well those new rules on the GI Bill are certainly a game changer. Thank you for the update.

Fatduck, thanks for clearing up the joint degree issue. I agree with your logic.

jacketman03

Silver

Post by jacketman03 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:40 pm

Wow, wonder why they eliminated break pay? I just used up the last of my entitlement last semester, and the break pay was good to help pay May/December rent.

If I weren't a Texas resident when I joined the Marine Corps, I'd really be kicking myself for using it on my undergrad.

SgtKing

New

Post by SgtKing » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:20 pm

- think they are really screwing us with the break pay. We still have to take care of ourselves even if there Is ""spring break," so fucking what. Considering the things we've seen and done I think.we deserve to collect 2 weeks BAH in the spring.

Anyways, how much do yoy guys think being prior service helps when it comes time to compete for jobs at law firms? When it comes time to interview do you think I should mention that I can show up to work at 0400, sweep, mop, take the trash out, and wash the walls before anyone gets there? Nah, seriously though thoughts or comments?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rose711

Bronze

Post by rose711 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:26 am

I think prior service helps in interviews because you will be older, more mature and more experienced than many of the other students. Seriously, your service time will only help you get jobs. I can't think of a job where it would hurt you.

I think you should post your list of schools you are considering here so the posters here can comment on it. There might be more schools that you should at least apply to and see what happens. Just applying doesn't mean you and your family have to live there. I mean, make a list of all the schools you would consider and have people evaluate your chances. Don't limit yourself before you carefully consider which schools you might get into. You never know what financial arrangements you might be able to work out.

Good luck!

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:36 pm

yep. i burned it all on my undergrad, which was like 12,000/yr in tuition...so awesome.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”