Cardozo with $$$---worth it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bigkahuna2020

Cardozo with $$$---worth it?

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:33 pm

So I haven't heard back from my high matches mostly, but I got rejected from Illinois and GWU (waiting on BU, BC, Fordham, Cornell, UT, Vandy (expecting maybe 1-2 of the first 3 only)

But I got an intriguing offer from Cardozo, a school I previously dismissed

I will pay less than 9k a year in tuition and I am from the area so COL will be low (hell it is on the PATH train and I know tons of people to be roommates with in Brooklyn) compared to most

The stipulation is ONLY top 80%

I want to work in any of these places
NYC
Boston
Philly
DC
Chicago
North Jersey

And my interests are either a medium sized law firm (have some contacts, not really connections, in NYC/North Jersey), public interest, government, though obviously I will take a shot at biglaw for the money

I'm also in at American, Brooklyn (some scholarship here I'm sure but how much better can it get than nearly full), Iowa

Any thoughts? Is it worth going to a Fordham or a BC (probably my two top shots above Cardozo) on no or minimal scholarship? I won't have any debt when I graduate, but a lot will be out of savings that are NOT 529 (basically I have enough in my 529 to cover all the tuition for Cardozo I will have to pay) so it is not a debt thing, more of a cost/benefit thing

BarbellDreams

Re: Cardozo with $$$---worth it?

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:36 pm

I would take it. Coming out of Dozo with around 50k or less, ties to the city and no real biglaw or bust ambitions doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:38 pm

If you are out at GW and UIUC, then the rest of the list, including BC and BU, are out I should think. If the stipulation is really only top 80%, it seems you have little to lose compared to your other options.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:40 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I would take it. Coming out of Dozo with around 50k or less, ties to the city and no real biglaw or bust ambitions doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.

I actually will have zero debt coming out of any school...it's a matter of cost here

Basically, assuming entry into BC or Fordham versus this scholaship at Cardozo...but no debt accumulation

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Even better. Dozo has poor biglaw prospects but still gives a decent shot at midlaw and certainly has a solid PI placement. Coming out with no debt at all from Dozo will put you in a good spot in all scenarios except biglaw, and since you're not looking for that I think the answer is clear.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:50 pm

dissonance1848 wrote:If you are out at GW and UIUC, then the rest of the list, including BC and BU, are out I should think.

GW and UIUC are 167 medians, BC and BU are 166. One point, but if OP has a 166, could be the difference.

bigkahuna2020

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:54 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
dissonance1848 wrote:If you are out at GW and UIUC, then the rest of the list, including BC and BU, are out I should think.

GW and UIUC are 167 medians, BC and BU are 166. One point, but if OP has a 166, could be the difference.

You might coulda just hit it

Also, why is Fordham being ignored?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”