Cycle is officially over. Where should I go? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where Should I Attend?

Villanova (15k/year, $104,000 COA)
17%
Catholic (Full Ride, $55,000 COA)
51%
Seton Hall (25k/year, $94,000 COA)
8%
Maryland (sticker, $120,000 COA)
15%
American (sticker, $145,00 COA)
8%

Total votes: 109

Veyron

Gold

Re: Cycle is officially over. Where should I go?

Post by Veyron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:01 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Veyron wrote:Wow, is there an option for nowhere? None of those schools are worth that price ITE. Catholic I would say maybe IF you can get the stipulation removed.
Douche warning
Pretty sure Veyron is immune to insults.
Also to bullets.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:11 pm

Veyron wrote:Wow, is there an option for nowhere? None of those schools are worth that price ITE. Catholic I would say maybe IF you can get the stipulation removed.
it's a valid opinion. not at all douchey.

OP don't take it personally if people say things like this. The economy really blows right now...I attend a lower T1 in a major market and nobody is getting jobs. I am sure the same scenario is true at American. If you are going to be relegated to small firm work, you might as well do it cheaply. If you aren't happy with small firm work and need more money to be fulfilled in life, you should probably choose another career.

Trust me, it's a lot easier to back out of law school now rather than later. Did you hear that Obama plans to cut Stafford subsidies for graduate and professional students? You might want to add a few extra thousand to your debt estimates. Things are not looking up right now.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:13 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Douche warning
A douche warning is not a warning, but an insult

Before all this gets drowned out with his Ivy overcompensating...

I will repeat---go to American if you want labor law---it is included under their very very good LRAP program

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:15 pm

General Tso wrote:
it's a valid opinion. not at all douchey.

OP don't take it personally if people say things like this. The economy really blows right now...I attend a lower T1 in a major market and nobody is getting jobs. I am sure the same scenario is true at American. If you are going to be relegated to small firm work, you might as well do it cheaply. If you aren't happy with small firm work and need more money to be fulfilled in life, you should probably choose another career.

Trust me, it's a lot easier to back out of law school now rather than later. Did you hear that Obama plans to cut Stafford subsidies for graduate and professional students? You might want to add a few extra thousand to your debt estimates. Things are not looking up right now.
Speaking of which, how will this cut effect current students. Higher interest rates going forward?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:18 pm

labor law? wtf dude...

OP, this kahuna fella is giving awful advice. Be reasonable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:21 pm

Veyron wrote: Speaking of which, how will this cut effect current students. Higher interest rates going forward?
I hope not. It is part of the proposed 2012 budget, so at most I am looking at 1 semester of no interest subsidies. Early speculation is that Obama's proposed budget won't be adopted by Congress.

But then again, they have not passed a 2011 budget either, and who knows what the Republicans are pushing for with the $100b cuts they've promised.

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:24 pm

General Tso wrote:labor law? wtf dude...

Why is it terrible advice?

He wants to represent labor unions---if this is inhouse, American's LRAP kicks in. If it is a non-profit law firm, it does also. If it is a FOR profit firm doing labor negotiations, I would actually say go to Catholic

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:25 pm

General Tso wrote:
Veyron wrote: Speaking of which, how will this cut effect current students. Higher interest rates going forward?
I hope not. It is part of the proposed 2012 budget, so at most I am looking at 1 semester of no interest subsidies. Early speculation is that Obama's proposed budget won't be adopted by Congress.

But then again, they have not passed a 2011 budget either, and who knows what the Republicans are pushing for with the $100b cuts they've promised.
Cool, thx.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:26 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:

He wants to represent labor unions---if this is inhouse, American's LRAP kicks in. If it is a non-profit law firm, it does also. If it is a FOR profit firm doing labor negotiations, I would actually say go to Catholic
And if its funemployment?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Veyron wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:

I dunno, stop sucking? It is a risk you take if you graduate in the bottom 25% and are a shitty interviewee

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:32 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Veyron wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:

I dunno, stop sucking? It is a risk you take if you graduate in the bottom 25% and are a shitty interviewee
Oh, so the top 75% is employed in the legal field at Catholic, is it?

evilgenius

Bronze

Post by evilgenius » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Go to Catholic. Its the best option economically. Also, all of the major unions, union-side law firms, and labor advocacy orgs. are headquartered or have offices in DC. Finding an internship will be easy any time of year. Within the labor movement, Catholic and American have the same reputation. American will give you better options if you decide on another public interest-oriented legal specialty, like human rights law. But I still think Catholic is a better choice.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:36 pm

i just wanted to requote this to say dear god i would not go to catholic if they paid me
Skyhook wrote: Read this for someone's experience at Catholic:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&start=50

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:36 pm

Veyron wrote: Oh, so the top 75% is employed in the legal field at American, is it?
I didn't realize you associated with people who went there and so therefore know

I know people who graduated below median and are employed in public interest legal work from WCL---and the awesome thing is they get their loans paid

That being said, neither you NOR I have knowledge that granular, or how much an interview feeds into public service legal work hiring

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:37 pm

bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Veyron wrote: Oh, so the top 75% is employed in the legal field at American, is it?
I didn't realize you associated with people who went there and so therefore know

I know people who graduated below median and are employed in public interest legal work from WCL---and the awesome thing is they get their loans paid

That being said, neither you NOR I have knowledge that granular, or how much an interview feeds into public service legal work hiring
*Goes to Penn*
*Knows kids at American and Catholic*
*Blows your mind*

bigkahuna2020

Bronze

Post by bigkahuna2020 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:40 pm

Veyron wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:

*Goes to Penn*
*Knows kids at American and Catholic*
*Blows your mind*
How many of them are actually graduates? How well do you know the public interest market in DC (I know it pretty well)?

Also, most importantly to the OP---do you have experience working in labor organizations or unions? If not, I'd advise get a job or internship like that, and retake/reapply

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:41 pm

I'm with Veyron.

I saw those debt totals and holy shit that is a lot of money. According to the ABA data tuition and living expenses @sticker amounts to nearly 190k. This is a nauseating amount of debt for American.

That Catholic stipulation is rough so you may need to drop out if you lose the scholly. Don't know much about D.C. but I know that it is expensive and there are a number of other schools ahead of these in the pecking order.

Edit: Best of luck in whatever you choose, hope it works out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:43 pm

If you absolutely cannot be swayed to retake the LSAT, I'd go with the path of least debt and take Catholic's full scholarship. I highly recommend you retake, though.

swc65

Silver

Post by swc65 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:03 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
bigkahuna2020 wrote:
Douche warning
Especially when he's right.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:04 pm

This, sadly.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”