Help me choose where to go!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

which of these law schools would you go to if you got half+ scholarship from all?

University of San Diego
57%
McGeorge
6%
Loyola Chicago
17%
Penn State
14%
Hofstra
6%

Total votes: 35

caligulove

Help me choose where to go!

Postby caligulove » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:35 am

Gett'er duuuunnnn

nightman09

Re: Help me choose where to go!

Postby nightman09 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:07 am

Where do you wanna work? What do you wanna do?

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:41 am

Discovered by the Germans in 1904...

caligulove

Postby caligulove » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:22 pm

I know that these are all regional schools so I should just go where I want to work, but I'm looking for opinions based on reputation. I want to go into public interest or international/constitutional law.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:23 pm

caligulove wrote:I know that these are all regional schools so I should just go where I want to work, but I'm looking for opinions based on reputation. I want to go into public interest or international/constitutional law.

1. What do you mean by "international law"? That's really vague. That's like saying I want to go into "international business". It's a overly general statement that means nothing.

2. Constitutional law. No, this is not possible. Not at these schools. Like 10 people practice constitutional law, and they all graduated from Yale in 1982. OK, maybe it's not THAT selective, but you need to go to a T10 school to make a living in this field. Now if you mean that you simply want to argue a case before the supreme court (state supreme or national), then you can go to any school and do that... but 1-2% submitted to the supreme court ever get heard so good luck...

3. Go where you want to work (as you yourself suggested), and go to the school that you would be happiest at (COA being the same).

caligulove

Postby caligulove » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:50 pm

International law = laws that govern the conduct of independent nations in their relationships with one another. It differs from other legal systems in that it primarily concerns provinces rather than private citizens. In other words it is that body of law which is composed for its greater part of the principles and rules of conduct which States feel themselves bound to observe, and therefore, do commonly observe in their relations with each other and which includes also :

(a) The rules of law relating to the function of international institutions or organizations, their relations with each other and their relations with States and individuals; and

(b) Certain rules of law relating to individuals and non-state entities so far as the rights and duties of such individuals and non-state entities are the concern of the international community.[1] However, the term "international law" can refer to three distinct legal disciplines

* Public international law, which governs the relationship between provinces and international entities, either as an individual or as a group. It includes the following specific legal field such as the treaty law, law of sea, international criminal law and the international humanitarian law.
* Private international law, or conflict of laws, which addresses the questions of (1) in which legal jurisdiction may a case be heard; and (2) the law concerning which jurisdiction(s) apply to the issues in the case
* Supranational law or the law of supranational organizations, which concerns at present regional agreements where the special distinguishing quality is that laws of nation states are held inapplicable when conflicting with a supranational legal system.

caligulove

Postby caligulove » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:52 pm

ALSO: constitutional law is what I would like to study so that I can take that knowledge back to my country of heritage (Egypt). Yale is not an option for me or this poll would not exist.

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Alright... I wasn't trying to be a dick, just making sure you have your priorities straight.

That said, I don't know much about Penn State or Hofstra, but out of your poll I would choose SD, for the following reasons:

1.) It's the best school in SD, and it places well there. You will have some competition from T14, but the competition from UCLA / USC / LA isn't too bad because SD is far enough away from that market.

2.) McGeorge and Loyola-Chicago have too much competition from schools that are just too good (Hint: Stanford, Berkeley, & Hasting in the Bay, and Chicago, Northwestern, etc. in Chicago). Most McGeorge grads try to get jobs in the bay, but many have to settle for the valley or Sac-Town. If you are shoot for Sac Town, McG is not a terrible choice.

3.) USD has a nice campus and is located in a great city. I mean, thats just personal opinion, but I doubt you would find a higher quality of life at those other schools.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:22 pm

You dont think USD is going to have competition from UCLA or USC because they are "too far away"? They are 2 hours away, there will be plenty of competition. I would go with USD or LUC personally, but both markets are going to give you a ton of competition, its just that those 2 schools are simply better than the others you listed.

caligulove

Postby caligulove » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:04 am

The way I see it, USD graduates not only have to compete with the nearby output from UCLA or USC, but also from that which comes in from the east, because as you say San Diego is a nice place to live and work. On top of that, USD isn't known for much other than Tax Law, which is not what I'm looking for. Taking into account a higher cost of living, it seems to me that USD would leave me with way more debt than McGeorge for not much more in terms of employment prospects. I'm basing this on the assumption that anything below T20 is a regional school. Is this at all accurate?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”