Columbia Law Vs. UVA 90k Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school should I attend?

Columbia Law
38%
UVA Law with 90k Scholarship
62%

Total votes: 78

futurelawyer9089

New

Columbia Law Vs. UVA 90k

Post by futurelawyer9089 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:59 am

I would like to enter private practice after graduation but eventually transition into a high-level political career (open to both elected politics as well as federal government agency careers). I would be really grateful to get some helpful comments about the pro's and con's of Columbia or UVA with a 90k scholarship.

I would like to stay on the East Coast, but would not like to live in NYC for the long term.

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Last edited by futurelawyer9089 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

duckmoney

Silver

Re: Columbia Law Vs. UVA 90k

Post by duckmoney » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:03 am

With that kind of money from UVA can you negotiate anything from Columbia?

I'd say go with UVA if you don't want to stay in NYC. Especially if you're fine being in DC or the Southeast; UVA does just as well if not better than Columbia.

On the other hand, I'd personally be happy with you turning down UVA's money and freeing up that much more in the scholarship pool so I have a shot at some cash there :)

Also, make a poll

bayvcroberts

New

Post by bayvcroberts » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:04 am

if you want to stay in the east coast and do biglaw, columbia seems to be the answer. you seem to be okay on the financial front.

Zabini

Bronze

Post by Zabini » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:49 am

bayvcroberts wrote:if you want to stay in the east coast and do biglaw, columbia seems to be the answer. you seem to be okay on the financial front.
dunno how much OP wants to do biglaw tho, I'm guessing particularly if he wants elected politics he'd rather be able to say "I spurned a big check working for the fat cats" and went on to PI/academia than spend x years doing transactional corporate work.

OP: I'd say UVA. If you go to Columbia then probably most of the friends, connections, and job opportunities you make will be NYC-centric and you don't want to stay in NYC. UVA will give you an excellent shot in DC and could provide a good base of support if you wanted to stay there and run for office in VA

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:53 am

Do you want to entertain the option of west-coast careers?

B/c if you do, no one here knows what UVA is. No joke.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aesis

Bronze

Post by aesis » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:42 am

jeremysen wrote:Do you want to entertain the option of west-coast careers?

+1

Yeah UVA prestige on the WC is nil.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:17 am

I don't know where this "no West Coast prestige" comes from. I've met people in foreign countries who know of UVa Law, let alone UVa. Consider also that UVa students from the West Coast do very well with West Coast employers--hell, Latham is one of the largest employers of UVa grads--my only conclusion is that the people you are talking to don't matter.

JG Hall

Bronze

Post by JG Hall » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:32 am

if you want short-term big law, I guess one distinction you should keep in mind is pre-screened vs. lottery OCI

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:43 am

showNprove wrote:

I don't know where this "no West Coast prestige" comes from. I've met people in foreign countries who know of UVa Law, let alone UVa. Consider also that UVa students from the West Coast do very well with West Coast employers--hell, Latham is one of the largest employers of UVa grads--my only conclusion is that the people you are talking to don't matter.
Duno who you've been meeting dude. I have lived all over Cali, and no one knows UVa.

And my point wasn't that UVa doesn't place into Cali Biglaw - they do. My point is that if OP wants to do politics in Cali, that's a no-go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:46 am

jeremysen wrote:Duno who you've been meeting dude. I have lived all over Cali, and no one knows UVa.

And my point wasn't that UVa doesn't place into Cali Biglaw - they do. My point is that if OP wants to do politics in Cali, that's a no-go.
I've never heard of anyone running a campaign off the specific prestige of their school (e.g., "I went to Columbia Law, so vote for me in the California 47th.")

jeremysen

Bronze

Post by jeremysen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:12 pm

showNprove wrote:
jeremysen wrote:Duno who you've been meeting dude. I have lived all over Cali, and no one knows UVa.

I've never heard of anyone running a campaign off the specific prestige of their school (e.g., "I went to Columbia Law, so vote for me in the California 47th.")
oversimplification & misinterpretation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”