Does anyone have info on law schools outside of US?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sangr

Does anyone have info on law schools outside of US?

Postby sangr » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:29 pm

Hey guys

This is an extremely basic and broad question but are there any "paths" or ways that an American student can attend a law school outside of US?

I ask this with countries such as Canada, Germany, Hong Kong, etc.. in mind...is there any viable path an English speaking person can attend law school outside?

thanks

Trequartista

Re: Does anyone have info on law schools outside of US?

Postby Trequartista » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Canada is a good option if you are prepared to live there. The legal market in Canada is far more accommodating of law school graduates and a vast majority are able to find jobs. The difference in pay is substantial though, Toronto big law for example pays around 100k for first year associates, and that does not take into account the significantly lower amount, around 70k for the big firms in Toronto, you take home when you article for one year after graduating.

Biglaw in Canada is pretty competitive and even U of T, the best law school there, only places just over half of its class in the big firms of Toronto. There is no other school that places more than a third of its class into Biglaw.

As an American student if you want Biglaw, there is no reason to go to Canada if you can get into T-14 or even T-17. The only school that offers you a decent chance of Biglaw is U of T, and if you can get into the U of T, you can get into the T-14 as well.

Canada is an attractive option for reverse splitters. Their LSAT medians are significantly lower, including U of T's high of 168, than the top schools in America, and the GPA medians are HYS-esque.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:31 am

How about UBC for Vancouver mid-sized firms? Vancouver seems to have something the U.S. doesn't: mid-sized firms paying around $80,000 per [year] with many possibilities for upward mobility. The U.S. has almost nothing between $160,000 Big Law and $50,000 shit law.

I care more about my chances of making partner and/or transitioning to consulting in 8-years time rather than whether or not I make 6-figures right after graduation.

I can get into a few T14's, but I am not sure I want to do Big Law, and Big Law is a must for servicing U.S. tuition fees.

I care about quality of life, to an extent, but also the possibility for upward mobility. However, I don't want to sell my 170, 3.9X short. Would UBC be a good idea?

EDIT: Changed "week" to "year"
Last edited by niederbomb on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:38 am

how are you about the prospect of living in canada niederbomb? sure 80k a year is nice, but if you are going to move to another country alone, and be far away from family- it can be tough. if you can handle living away from your family, and basically immigrating to another country for 10 years or more- then go. otherwise, stick to the states.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:42 pm

To get any decent job, I would have to move far away from family. You have no idea - the biggest culture shock I have ever experienced was not moving from the U.S. to a developing Asian country; it was moving from home to college.

I grew up in a pit close to nothing. In fact, geographically, I'd be closer to them in Vancouver than I would be in NYC.

Is it hard to move away from family and move away to another country? Yes. I speak from experience. But any developed urban area is like a different country from where my family lives, so I am an immigrant either way.

That said, I am trying to decide this minute whether to even pay the seat deposit for UBC. :lol: Deadline = too early.

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:56 pm

niederbomb wrote:How about UBC for Vancouver mid-sized firms? Vancouver seems to have something the U.S. doesn't: mid-sized firms paying around $80,000 per [year] with many possibilities for upward mobility. The U.S. has almost nothing between $160,000 Big Law and $50,000 shit law.

I care more about my chances of making partner and/or transitioning to consulting in 8-years time rather than whether or not I make 6-figures right after graduation.

I can get into a few T14's, but I am not sure I want to do Big Law, and Big Law is a must for servicing U.S. tuition fees.

I care about quality of life, to an extent, but also the possibility for upward mobility. However, I don't want to sell my 170, 3.9X short. Would UBC be a good idea?

UBC would have been a good idea if you had a much lower LSAT. T14 all the way.

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:32 am

nael wrote:
niederbomb wrote:How about UBC for Vancouver mid-sized firms? Vancouver seems to have something the U.S. doesn't: mid-sized firms paying around $80,000 per [year] with many possibilities for upward mobility. The U.S. has almost nothing between $160,000 Big Law and $50,000 shit law.

You're probably right. If I go to a Canadian law school, it should be U of T or, at least, Osgoode. As much as I'd love to live in Vancouver, the city has a few too many lawyers.

Not sure why I got rejected from U of T. I applied in the U.S. with essentially the same materials and got accepted at several top schools with higher (LSAT) medians than U of T.

Trequartista

Postby Trequartista » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:51 am

niederbomb wrote:
nael wrote:

You're probably right. If I go to a Canadian law school, it should be U of T or, at least, Osgoode. As much as I'd love to live in Vancouver, the city has a few too many lawyers.

Not sure why I got rejected from U of T. I applied in the U.S. with essentially the same materials and got accepted at several top schools with higher (LSAT) medians than U of T.

Where did you get accepted and which schools are you considering?

I agree about U of T rejection. I would think that someone with your numbers would be an auto-admit, really surprising to see to get you rejected. Maybe there really is something to the "Canadian law schools are holistic" argument I keep hearing on lawstudents.ca.

Osgoode is a good option, a much better one that UBC. I have also heard that Vancouver is swamped with lawyers and the market is extremely competitive.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”