Apartments Near Loyola Chicago

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Spack

Apartments Near Loyola Chicago

Postby Spack » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:24 am

I'm almost certain I will be attending Loyola Chicago in the Fall and I have been busy looking online at the various apartments in the area but feel like there are some places I could be missing. A lot of the apartments I have looked at are either VERY close and pretty expensive (over $1000 for a studio, but with utilities included) or further away (like a 20 minute bus drive). Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look for apartments that fall within a reasonable amount for rent and aren't too far away from the campus? I could just be underestimating how much to pay for rent considering I come from a small town, so if $1050 for a studio with utilities included is great, feel free to chime in.

dr123

Re: Apartments Near Loyola Chicago

Postby dr123 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:26 am

http://chicago.craigslist.org/

but seriously, chicago is expensive as fuck, 1k a month is probably as good as it gets

look on craigslist/loyola website or some shit and find a roommate, itll prolly save you some dough

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:51 am

I went to Loyola for undergrad so I'll try and see what I can help you with.

1. Everything depends on how far you're willing to commute. Unlike the majority of undergrad classes which are located on the lake shore campus, all of the law classes are downtown. Unless you really have money to burn I wouldn't suggest getting an apartment downtown. Instead try living close to an El stop somewhere off the red line. If up to a 30 minute El commute (Rarely late because there isn't any traffic and its easy to read on the El) is fine with you I would suggest looking for apartments in Wriggleyville off the Addison stop, in Lincoln Park off the Fullerton stop and in Rodgers Park off the Loyola stop (UG campus). Belmont is great too but that may be too pricey.

2. Do NOT live off the Wilson stop at all costs. Dangerous neighborhood. I would also suggest avoiding the Agyle stop and anything further then the Roosevelt stop away from downtown on the red line. Fullerton is DePaul's campus, and its very close to downtown (15 minute commute) but its pricier. The further away you get from downtown the less it will be. the UG campus at the Loyola stop is 30 mins and you can find studios starting at $500. Off the green line a 25 min commute will get you to Oak Park from downtown (I went there for high school), its a great neighborhood with fair prices. There are at least 10 others that you can live it, just remember that your best bet is finding something close to the El and commuting everyday because you simply wont find cheap apartments close to downtown.

If you have any questions about the city let me know. I dont go there for law school so I cant answer law related questions but just about everything else I can try and help.

sbmr12

Postby sbmr12 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 pm

I got accepted to Loyola Chicago too and am also wondering about this. Have you looked at the graduate student housing at all? I'm wondering if the price of living there is comparable to living anywhere relatively close to campus.

lolschool2011

Postby lolschool2011 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:28 pm

Spack wrote:I'm almost certain I will be attending Loyola Chicago in the Fall and I have been busy looking online at the various apartments in the area but feel like there are some places I could be missing. A lot of the apartments I have looked at are either VERY close and pretty expensive (over $1000 for a studio, but with utilities included) or further away (like a 20 minute bus drive). Does anyone have any suggestions of where to look for apartments that fall within a reasonable amount for rent and aren't too far away from the campus? I could just be underestimating how much to pay for rent considering I come from a small town, so if $1050 for a studio with utilities included is great, feel free to chime in.

Being new to the city, you should get in touch with an apartment finder service like this: http://www.rentsmartchicago.com/ and have them find you a nice place on the northside (LP, Lakeview, etc) that's near the red line.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:11 pm

Get on loyola's website and see if they have any networking stuff for roommates. Living by yourself gets expensive. Best route is find a boyfriend/gf and share a 1bed. But yeah, budget for about a 1k regardless

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:11 pm

btw i know it sounds sketchy but rent a room on craigslist my give you good deals

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:03 am

I recommend http://www.chicagoapartmentfinders.com for new residents to the city.

The best places to live in Chicago is Lakeview, Lincoln Park, and the Gold Coast. I personally lived in Lakeview, which is also referred to as Boystown (the epicenter of Chicago gay life).

If you are from NYC, LA, SF, or Washington DC, you will find Chicago to be cheap. If you come from any other city, you will think Chicago is expensive. $1,000 is the going rate for 1 BR's. If you live downtown you will pay that and much more. In addition, if you have a car, you can add another $150-$250 for garage parking. Downtown is also really boring. Especially the West Loop (financial area, do not move there).

Lakeview, Lincoln Park, and the Gold Coast are cool because you can street park if you have a car. It's not always easy finding a spot, but it works. These areas are pricey too, but you can find some decent deals for a studio/1br if you look hard enough. It also feels less like of a "big city" in these areas. People walking their dogs, parks, jogging, etc. If you live in Lakeview, Lincoln Park, there are express buses that go on Lake Shore Drive. This can be an alternative to the train if you want to live near the lake/beach. This route also provides quick access to the law school which is downtown. I prefer this over the train. If you live by the train, live by the red line - addisson, sheffield, belmont....

Other areas of Chicago are Rogers Park, Andersonville, Edgewater. These areas are north of Lakeview. Not as exciting, but they can be okay.

Bucktown (Logan Square) is another hip area. Old Town is cool.

The South Loop might also be an option, but it is kind of boring down there too....

All in all, you can find a studio for $750-1,100....A 1b for $800-$1,400....
All in all,

ChiCity22

Postby ChiCity22 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:33 am

sparty99 wrote:I recommend http://www.chicagoapartmentfinders.com for new residents to the city.

The best places to live in Chicago is Lakeview, Lincoln Park, and the Gold Coast. I personally lived in Lakeview, which is also referred to as Boystown (the epicenter of Chicago gay life).

If you are from NYC, LA, SF, or Washington DC, you will find Chicago to be cheap. If you come from any other city, you will think Chicago is expensive. $1,000 is the going rate for 1 BR's. If you live downtown you will pay that and much more. In addition, if you have a car, you can add another $150-$250 for garage parking. Downtown is also really boring. Especially the West Loop (financial area, do not move there).

Lakeview, Lincoln Park, and the Gold Coast are cool because you can street park if you have a car. It's not always easy finding a spot, but it works. These areas are pricey too, but you can find some decent deals for a studio/1br if you look hard enough. It also feels less like of a "big city" in these areas. People walking their dogs, parks, jogging, etc. If you live in Lakeview, Lincoln Park, there are express buses that go on Lake Shore Drive. This can be an alternative to the train if you want to live near the lake/beach. This route also provides quick access to the law school which is downtown. I prefer this over the train. If you live by the train, live by the red line - addisson, sheffield, belmont....

Other areas of Chicago are Rogers Park, Andersonville, Edgewater. These areas are north of Lakeview. Not as exciting, but they can be okay.

Bucktown (Logan Square) is another hip area. Old Town is cool.

The South Loop might also be an option, but it is kind of boring down there too....

All in all, you can find a studio for $750-1,100....A 1b for $800-$1,400....
All in all,

I disagree about the West Loop being boring if youre reffering to the area by Greektown and Little Italy, It doesn't have the wrigley/ lakeview/ LP night scene but theres a good amount of young proffesionals and nightlife in the area.

sparty99

Postby sparty99 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:07 am

No. I'm referring more to the financial area - sears tower, presidential towers, etc...So boring, everything shuts down after 6:00 pm. Absolutely dead on the weekend. I guess Greektown borders those areas, but I wasn't really referring to it. I lived in PT towers. ugh. hates it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”