Help me out...Ave maria?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dabbadon8

Help me out...Ave maria?

Postby dabbadon8 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:03 pm

Alright so my girlfriend is deciding where to go next year and is having a hard time with her parents who are trying to convince her to go to Ave Maria... She lives short drive away. She recently got a full ride there. I am not sure what to tell her, or suggest she tell her parents. So far her options are:

UIUC w/45k
UNC (OOS, no word on money yet)
Wake (no money yet)
FSU (no money yet)
Miami (no money yet)
Cardozo w/ money
Depaul w/ $$$
Wayne w/$$$
St. Johns w/$

She isn't sure what she wants to do, but she doesn't seem like she wants big law. I think that FSU at instate would be a better idea then ave maria even for free. She doesn't have any particularly strong connections in order to get a job. Do you think ave maria would be a good idea? What would you recommend?

Moral_Midgetry

Re: Help me out...Ave maria?

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:05 pm

Under no circumstances would I recommend Ave Maria to anyone. She has some good T1 acceptances and should go with the one she prefers. Tell her to forget Ave Maria.
Last edited by Moral_Midgetry on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:06 pm

Is this a flame? Ave Maria is never a good idea.

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:09 pm

Has Ave Maria even gotten its full accreditation back yet?

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:12 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:13 pm

This is not a flame. Her parents have no idea about the legal market. All they know is they want her close to home and have heard in the news about people struggling with student debt. Can you help provide concrete reasons that can be given to her parents to help get them off her back. Thanks.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:14 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:This is not a flame. Her parents have no idea about the legal market. All they know is they want her close to home and have heard in the news about people struggling with student debt. Can you help provide concrete reasons that can be given to her parents to help get them off her back. Thanks.

How about back the fuck out of her business. Seriously, if they want her to have a job they need to let her make an informed decision about what she wants to do in her career and to pick the school that will give her the best opportunity to make it happen.
Last edited by Moral_Midgetry on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:14 pm

Illinois unless a better scholly comes through from UNC.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
dabbadon8 wrote:This is not a flame. Her parents have no idea about the legal market. All they know is they want her close to home and have heard in the news about people struggling with student debt. Can you help provide concrete reasons that can be given to her parents to help get them off her back. Thanks.

How about back the fuck out of her business.

Helpful thank you.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:19 pm

Tell her to stay strong and not let her parents pretty much kill her law career before it gets started. It would be challenging enough finding a good job graduating from any of those schools. Going to Ave Maria would definitely put a lid on things except maybe she is taking over her parents law firm (if they are lawyers and have one) or something like that.

I guess the only upside is that she'll literally be graduating with $0 since she'd be going from home

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:21 pm

LLB2JD wrote:I guess the only upside is that she'll literally be graduating with $0 since she'd be going from home

And ten years later, she'll still have $0 and be at home.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:21 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
LLB2JD wrote:I guess the only upside is that she'll literally be graduating with $0 since she'd be going from home

True story.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:24 pm

send them this article http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/colleg ... he_sky.php

One current professor told me, “Our student body now is one of the four or five worst in America.” The instability has also wreaked havoc on the school’s reputation: in the 2009 U.S. News & World Report law school rankings, Ave Maria tied for last place in the peer-assessment category, the most important measure in determining a school’s standing. (The school was not officially ranked because U.S. News doesn’t rank schools that land in the bottom tier.) Meanwhile, there are signs that Monaghan’s foundation, which funds the law school and the university, is on the verge of running out of money, in part because Monaghan bet his fortune—and the future of his nonprofits—on the now-crumbling Florida real estate market. Earlier this year, Ave Maria University’s second-longest-standing professor resigned, but not before sending a letter to administrators expressing his alarm at the school’s financial straits. “I fear that all of us (to different degrees) are participating in something that we may later deeply regret,” he wrote, “namely selling to young people and their families [an] educational product that we do not have sufficient reason to believe can be delivered.”

Meanwhile, in June, the U.S. Department of Education reported that Ave Maria School of Law had failed its financial responsibility test, the only law school in the nation to do so.
Last edited by fatduck on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:24 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:

I forgot to include your part. Thanks for finishing my thoughts.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:27 pm

fatduck wrote:send them this article http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/colleg ... he_sky.php

One current professor told me, “Our student body now is one of the four or five worst in America.” The instability has also wreaked havoc on the school’s reputation: in the 2009 U.S. News & World Report law school rankings, Ave Maria tied for last place in the peer-assessment category, the most important measure in determining a school’s standing. (The school was not officially ranked because U.S. News doesn’t rank schools that land in the bottom tier.) Meanwhile, there are signs that Monaghan’s foundation, which funds the law school and the university, is on the verge of running out of money, in part because Monaghan bet his fortune—and the future of his nonprofits—on the now-crumbling Florida real estate market. Earlier this year, Ave Maria University’s second-longest-standing professor resigned, but not before sending a letter to administrators expressing his alarm at the school’s financial straits. “I fear that all of us (to different degrees) are participating in something that we may later deeply regret,” he wrote, “namely selling to young people and their families [an] educational product that we do not have sufficient reason to believe can be delivered.”

Meanwhile, in June, the U.S. Department of Education reported that Ave Maria School of Law had failed its financial responsibility test, the only law school in the nation to do so.

Finally, the group retreated to Monaghan’s office, a two-story suite with raw-silk ceilings and leather floors
:shock:

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:07 am

There are three good law schools in Florida. If she wants to be close, she should go to one of them.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:27 am

OP. Avoid Ave Maria like it is the black plague and she is a leper. The school makes a good argument for being one of the worst law schools in the nation. It is actually one of the few schools in the nation with generally poor quality professors due to its strict Catholic ideology. The student quality is miserably bad, they're brand new to Florida so you have LITERALLY ZERO alumni network to work with, and in this economy they're not exactly on route to building one. Not to mention Florida is already terribly oversaturated with T4's destroying peoples futures, and is exacerbated by an economy that has gotten hit harder than the rest of the nation as a whole.

There is simply no reason to ever attend this university under any circumstances, unless you have a guaranteed job lined up upon graduation.

you'd be better off sending 3 years cost-of-living to a Nigerian prince now and finding work in another field than attending Ave Maria.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:32 am

Tell her to do what she wants. Unless her parents are paying and hooking her up with a job after, their opinion doesn't matter.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:36 am

--LinkRemoved--

Only ~20% of the class was comfortable reporting their salary information - and this is for those who graduated in 2008! Imagine what its like now.

Tell her to go to FSU or UIUC, especially if she can get one of them throws a little more money at her.
EDIT: of course, knowing both these schools (and all the others she's gotten into) are regional.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:40 am

JusticeHarlan wrote:http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/?school=avemaria

Only ~20% of the class was comfortable reporting their salary information - and this is for those who graduated in 2008! Imagine what its like now.

Tell her to go to FSU or UIUC, especially if she can get one of them throws a little more money at her.
EDIT: of course, knowing both these schools (and all the others she's gotten into) are regional.

Beat me to it. This. Even without debt, the chances of her actually having a chance to practice law are slim coming from Domin... er, Ave Maria.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:48 am

Fred_McGriff wrote:There are three two good law schools in Florida. If she wants to be close, she should go to one of them.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:57 am

OP, if you care at all about your girlfriend, you'll tell her to GTFO of Florida and stay far, far away from Ave Maria. And tell her to tell her parents to buzz off and let her decide.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:04 pm

rad law wrote:
Fred_McGriff wrote:There are three two good law schools in Florida. If she wants to be close, she should go to one of them.

Rad, which school got lopped off there lol?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:09 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
rad law wrote:

I can answer that for rad because I know his thoughts on this. UF and FSU. Stetson, Miami, etc. do not make the cut.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
rad law wrote:

I can answer that for rad because I know his thoughts on this. UF and FSU. Stetson, Miami, etc. do not make the cut.

Bingo

Return to “Choosing a Law School”