What's the skinny on housing at Columbia?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Hey-O

What's the skinny on housing at Columbia?

Postby Hey-O » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:03 pm

I'm trying to pick housing at Columbia. Any Columbia students (or prospective students like me) have any insight on which housing to apply for?

Lem37

Re: What's the skinny on housing at Columbia?

Postby Lem37 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:29 pm

Hey-O wrote:I'm trying to pick housing at Columbia. Any Columbia students (or prospective students like me) have any insight on which housing to apply for?

Well, what kind of housing are you looking for? Single? Roommates? Furnished? Unfurnished? Columbia housing is wonderfully subsidized, so I definitely suggest checking it out! :)

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:37 pm

Hey-O wrote:I'm trying to pick housing at Columbia. Any Columbia students (or prospective students like me) have any insight on which housing to apply for?

+1

I'm in the same spot.

I want to go as cheap as possible but be near school probably in furnished housing (non-dorm). University apartments are probably my best bet...Lenfest looks amazing but soooo expensive.

Anyway anyone at CLS who has suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:53 pm

I'd like some feedback on this too. I don't care about furnished or unfurnished, I just want something that is inexpensive and won't be in a building thats super loud. Is this what the dorms are like? I visited my friend who goes to undergrad at Columbia and he essentially has a hole in the wall that can barely fit his desk and bed. Is this what I'm looking at?

I won't know anyone else in the entering class but it looks like Columbia apartments are cheaper and bigger than single housing. Do people still go for apartments with strangers?

Thanks in advance!

eaa1537

Postby eaa1537 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:28 pm

this is relevant to my interest as well... any help would be appreciated :)

Oracl3

Postby Oracl3 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:54 pm

I am also interested in this. I have lots of friends at Columbia for undergrad and their dorms all seem to suck. I've heard the law school housing is nice but it looks expensive.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:26 pm

Lem37 wrote:

Well, what kind of housing are you looking for? Single? Roommates? Furnished? Unfurnished? Columbia housing is wonderfully subsidized, so I definitely suggest checking it out! :)

Well, I'd prefer a furnished single, but I'm hoping for my rent to be under $1,000 a month, so I'm open to room mates. I'm not real picky, but I would like my own room and I want something that I can walk to the school easily.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Guys, it really depends on what you're looking for. Typically the furnished, non-Lenfest apartments are cheap (~$1000) but the furniture is dormesque. For everyone else, you really need to specify what kind of housing you're looking for before I can help.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Ship87 wrote:I'd like some feedback on this too. I don't care about furnished or unfurnished, I just want something that is inexpensive and won't be in a building thats super loud. Is this what the dorms are like? I visited my friend who goes to undergrad at Columbia and he essentially has a hole in the wall that can barely fit his desk and bed. Is this what I'm looking at?

I won't know anyone else in the entering class but it looks like Columbia apartments are cheaper and bigger than single housing. Do people still go for apartments with strangers?

Thanks in advance!

I also won't know anyone. I'm interested in the apartments but I want to know how much bigger and better they are than the singles before I commit to having a room mate.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:29 pm

Hey-O wrote:
Lem37 wrote:

Well, I'd prefer a furnished single, but I'm hoping for my rent to be under $1,000 a month, so I'm open to room mates. I'm not real picky, but I would like my own room and I want something that I can walk to the school easily.

You won't get a single for less than Lenfest prices. Most furnished doubles are ~$1000. No one shares rooms at CLS.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:33 pm

Lem37 wrote:Guys, it really depends on what you're looking for. Typically the furnished, non-Lenfest apartments are cheap (~$1000) but the furniture is dormesque. For everyone else, you really need to specify what kind of housing you're looking for before I can help.

Are you a Columbia student/seen the dorms? I've been on the Columbia website and there just seems to be a lot of options. They seem nice, but it is hard to pick and I want to fill out the application on the 15th to have a good chance of getting my choice.

Here is what I would like:

- Furnished
-Private Room (I just saw your earlier answer)
- Utilities included in rent
- Internet already set up by Columbia (this looks like a really good deal on the web site - is it?)
- Laundry facilities on site

I'm also interested in the International House. Do you know anything about that? What's it like? Are the rooms nice?

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:37 pm

Ship87 wrote:I'd like some feedback on this too. I don't care about furnished or unfurnished, I just want something that is inexpensive and won't be in a building thats super loud. Is this what the dorms are like? I visited my friend who goes to undergrad at Columbia and he essentially has a hole in the wall that can barely fit his desk and bed. Is this what I'm looking at?

Thanks in advance!

You can specify price when you apply for housing. Undergrad dorms are VERY different from law school-only housing, which is typically a lot bigger. When you apply for UAH housing they'll assign you a stranger as a roommate unless you specifically apply with another grad or law student for housing. As a side note, Columbia housing is MUCH cheaper than other housing in NYC (since it's subsidized).

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:41 pm

Lem37 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

You can specify price when you apply for housing. Undergrad dorms are VERY different from law school-only housing, which is typically a lot bigger. When you apply for UAH housing they'll assign you a stranger as a roommate unless you specifically apply with another grad or law student for housing. As a side note, Columbia housing is MUCH cheaper than other housing in NYC (since it's subsidized).

Do you have any advice or suggestions? Any place to stay away from?

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Hey-O wrote:
Lem37 wrote:Guys, it really depends on what you're looking for. Typically the furnished, non-Lenfest apartments are cheap (~$1000) but the furniture is dormesque. For everyone else, you really need to specify what kind of housing you're looking
for before I can help.

Are you a Columbia student/seen the dorms? I've been on the Columbia website and there just seems to be a lot of options. They seem nice, but it is hard to pick and I want to fill out the application on the 15th to have a good chance of getting my choice.

- Furnished
- Internet already set up by Columbia (this looks like a really good deal on the web site - is it?)

I'm also interested in the International House. Do you know anything about that? What's it like? Are the rooms nice?

I'm a CLS 2L. I don't know anything about "dorms" - I've seen law-student-only housing. I live in an unfurnished UAH apartment, which is wonderfully cheap and HUGE. I don't know anything about the Int'l House.

Utilities are included for free. Internet (Ethernet) is $30/month. Laundry is usually on site or in a nearby UAH building.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:45 pm

Hey-O wrote:
Lem37 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Do you have any advice or suggestions? Any place to stay away from?

Lenfest and Lionsgate are very overpriced and, in my opinion, not worth it. If you can go unfurnished, do so. You get more space for less money (my bedroom is 190 square feet) and you avoid the possibilty of ugly/small dorm furniture.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:54 pm

Lem37 wrote:
Hey-O wrote:
Lem37 wrote:Guys, it really depends on what you're looking for. Typically the furnished, non-Lenfest apartments are cheap (~$1000) but the furniture is dormesque. For everyone else, you really need to specify what kind of housing you're looking
for before I can help.

- Furnished

I'm a CLS 2L. I don't know anything about "dorms" - I've seen law-student-only housing. I live in an unfurnished UAH apartment, which is wonderfully cheap and HUGE. I don't know anything about the Int'l House.

Utilities are included for free. Internet (Ethernet) is $30/month. Laundry is usually on site or in a nearby UAH building.

What is your rent? (approximate is fine)

And thanks for all the great information!

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:06 pm

Hey-O wrote:
Lem37 wrote:
Hey-O wrote:
for before I can help.

- Furnished

What is your rent? (approximate is fine)

And thanks for all the great information!

$986. I live in a huge unfurnished 2-bedroom on 111th (a five minute walk from the law school) with my boyfriend, another CLS 2L (and, incidentally, another ex-TLSer).

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:33 am

Lem37, thank you for the great information and quick replies!

So an unfurnished apartment share would be the best bet in terms of good size and decent rent? Am I getting it right that if you have an apartment share with one other person then your rent will likely be below $1,000, and lower as you add on more people?

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:39 am

P.S.: Do you know what the I-house is like? Reading from the housing website it looks like a neat building that would be fun to live in. Whats the scoop there?

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:53 am

Ship87 wrote:Lem37, thank you for the great information and quick replies!

So an unfurnished apartment share would be the best bet in terms of good size and decent rent? Am I getting it right that if you have an apartment share with one other person then your rent will likely be below $1,000, and lower as you add on more people?

Hi Ship! That's generally the idea for NYC apartments: more people, lower rent per room (since you're splitting a common area). UAH shares typically hover around the $1000 mark, usually a little lower, although I haven't heard of anyone paying less than $900 (these probably exist, but you'll have to ask UAH directly). To be fair, NYC rent in that area is usually much, much higher (although not as high as Midtown or the NYU area) - take it from someone who lived in New York for two years prior to law school. So ultimately you're getting great housing at a wonderful price. Oh, and as for the Int'l House, I sadly haven't heard of it. Sorry! :(

I'd be happy to send pics of my apartment to admits who want to PM me. We're also showing our apartment during Mondays at CLS and ASW.
Last edited by Lem37 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

annie2010

Postby annie2010 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:59 am

Ship87 wrote:P.S.: Do you know what the I-house is like? Reading from the housing website it looks like a neat building that would be fun to live in. Whats the scoop there?

I'm a 0L but my SO is a grad student so here is my advice:

Be careful about the I-house. My friend lived there and he didn't even have a real kitchen. Just a mini fridge and mircowave. He moved after a semester.

He moved to UAH unfurnished housing which was WAY bigger and much nicer (about 900 for a shared). His apartment is gooorgeous. All of the UAH buildings I've been to (I've seen at least 8 diff ones) are pretty darn nice. I live in UAH couples housing which is expensive but we split it and our apartment is really pretty.

Don't know anything about law school housing, but I do know that "furnished" means dormy furniture.

bosox777

Postby bosox777 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:50 pm

I hadn't really even considered going unfurnished until I read this thread, because I don't have much I could bring. But if I pick unfurnished, what would I want to bring? Couch/bed/dresser/desk/chair? More? Less?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:58 pm

bosox777 wrote:I hadn't really even considered going unfurnished until I read this thread, because I don't have much I could bring. But if I pick unfurnished, what would I want to bring? Couch/bed/dresser/desk/chair? More? Less?

Are you seriously asking how to furnish an apt?

bosox777

Postby bosox777 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:05 pm

Umm...yes? I have no idea how much space is in them. I have live in an apartment for the last two years with a group of people but the rest had already been living there when I moved in so I didn't have to deal with bringing shit and dot really know. Iidk

bosox777

Postby bosox777 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:14 pm

Especially wondering, how big are the bedrooms? I have a full-sized bed and a fairly big desk, will I want to downsize?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”