What incentive exists...(IUB scholarship discussion)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ixwad

What incentive exists...(IUB scholarship discussion)

Postby ixwad » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:38 pm

Last edited by ixwad on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Re: What incentive exists...(IUB scholarship discussion)

Postby fatduck » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:43 pm

i'm a little confused

you're basically saying "the only thing i care about is ranking and price. assume that IUB is the highest ranked school i am accepted to, and also the cheapest. should i go somewhere else?"

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:44 pm

Confusing original post. What is the point other than sharing your good news ?

ixwad

Postby ixwad » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Last edited by ixwad on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:49 pm

IUB sounds like an excellent choice. But if you have absolutely no intention of staying in Indiana or going back to where you have connections to, consider your other options.

stephan75th

Postby stephan75th » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:51 pm

Yeah clearly IUB is your best option. I'm still unsure about what I should do, 105k IUB or G-Town PT sticker...

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:53 pm

ixwad wrote:Yeah, I might not have been perfectly clear. What I meant is, there are many of us who have near full-ride offers at IUB who have 166s and 167s and less than fantastic GPAs (Background info: IUB received a giant donation a few years back and is throwing out near full-scholarship offers to people with numbers that do not qualify for significant scholarships at most similarly ranked schools). Most of us who fit that criteria do not have significant scholarship offers from similarly ranked schools. So, with all of that taken into account, if we have no real preference about where we will be working, and no previous interest in IUB, is there any good reason we should consider any other schools in the 20s/30s over IUB?

You already know the answer....

"If all of the factors that could make me choose other schools over IU-B are irrelevant, should I choose IU-B?" I think you can take it from here.

ixwad

Postby ixwad » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Last edited by ixwad on Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawlzier

Postby lawlzier » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:36 pm

This doesn't seem random at all. You applied all across the midwest and got a great scholarship offer at a decent school there.
Also, half of Indiana functions as a Chicago suburb.

jim

Postby jim » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:10 am

None. Enjoy IUB.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:17 am

You seem to answer your own question or, rather, statement. This is the second peculiar "Indiana scholarship" thread posted yesterday. In the other thread an in-state Indiana applicant appears to be mulling over a 3 year out-of-state scholarship award of $129,000 from Indiana-Bloomington. I'm beginning to wonder if these are law school applicants or someone else posting these Indiana "questions" which are made in the form of statements. My impression is that maybe fewer than expected are responding in any manner to the $120,000 scholarship offers.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:20 am

ixwad wrote:Yeah, I might not have been perfectly clear. What I meant is, there are many of us who have near full-ride offers at IUB who have 166s and 167s and less than fantastic GPAs (Background info: IUB received a giant donation a few years back and is throwing out near full-scholarship offers to people with numbers that do not qualify for significant scholarships at most similarly ranked schools). Most of us who fit that criteria do not have significant scholarship offers from similarly ranked schools. So, with all of that taken into account, if we have no real preference about where we will be working, and no previous interest in IUB before the scholarship offer, is there any good reason we should consider any other schools in the 20s/30s over IUB?

I think the $120K is incentive enough. If you can take living in the midwest, IUB is a great choice. Why pay sticker for slightly higher ranked schools when you can go to IUB for so cheap?

I know if I get $120K from IUB Im going to go, and I hate the midwest. But $40K a year from a T30 school is pretty hard to pass up if you dont have similar offers from any higher ranked schools.

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:24 pm

What's living in the midwest like? Anyone have experience to compare to living in a northeast city?

ixwad

Postby ixwad » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:29 pm

You seem to answer your own question or, rather, statement. This is the second peculiar "Indiana scholarship" thread posted yesterday. In the other thread an in-state Indiana applicant appears to be mulling over a 3 year out-of-state scholarship award of $129,000 from Indiana-Bloomington. I'm beginning to wonder if these are law school applicants or someone else posting these Indiana "questions" which are made in the form of statements. My impression is that maybe fewer than expected are responding in any manner to the $120,000 scholarship offers.

Don't worry, I am a real person. Check out my other posts, I have posted about other schools. After reading all my posts, did I really not explain myself well enough? I'm just trying to make sure I've got all my bases covered, so I posted this to see if anyone might have a good reason to speak out against taking the offer, given my circumstances.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:08 pm

seriously???? wrote:What's living in the midwest like? Anyone have experience to compare to living in a northeast city?

One of the major complaints the big city folk seem to have is that the bars/clubs close at ridiculously early hours, like 2:00AM in some cases. Also, you may be taken back by the general friendliness of the locals, the lack of pollution and the low cost of living. Some things take some getting used to.

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:15 pm

you midwest peepz like minorities (religious/ethnic)?

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:18 pm

seriously???? wrote:you midwest peepz like minorities (religious/ethnic)?

I think you're confused. Most of our cities fall north of the Mason-Dixon line.

seriously????

Postby seriously???? » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:27 pm

Alright, thanks. Good to know, and had to ask.

adude

Postby adude » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:39 am

I'm thinking all you want is a confirmation that your reasoning is sound. Yes it is. Go with the scholarship.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”