All signs point to me wanting to go to an SEC school, right? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Re: All signs point to me wanting to go to an SEC school, right?

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:28 pm

jwrash wrote:161
Very Bold. Highest prediction on TLS so far. Very Bold.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:32 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:What's wrong with wanting to go to an SEC school? There are four T1 schools in the SEC, and one T18. If the OP wants to practice in Alabama, then I think Bama would be a good option and OP will get the experience he/she wants along with a pretty decent chance at getting a job in a region he/she likes.

Shoot for a 169-170 for Vandy, 165+ would be fine for a pretty nice scholarship at Bama I would think.
All of this is true, but OP is a sophomore in college and has no LSAT score, hence the snark ITT. TLS=Tough Love Site? Sometimes, sometimes...

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:34 pm

154. You read it here first, folks...

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:37 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:What's wrong with wanting to go to an SEC school? There are four T1 schools in the SEC, and one T18. If the OP wants to practice in Alabama, then I think Bama would be a good option and OP will get the experience he/she wants along with a pretty decent chance at getting a job in a region he/she likes.

Shoot for a 169-170 for Vandy, 165+ would be fine for a pretty nice scholarship at Bama I would think.
All of this is true, but OP is a sophomore in college and has no LSAT score, hence the snark ITT. TLS=Tough Love Site? Sometimes, sometimes...

The lsat is so crucial that the snark is called for, IMO. The LSAT is so essential to admissions, that any prediction about schools without it is an exercise in wasting time. Take the following analogy:

You are in middle school. You are asking about what your chances of making High School quarterback are. You are in good shape, and a fast runner. While you have never thrown a football, your gym coach thinks if you work hard you would be a good thrower.

Until we know about your ability to throw the ball, we have absolutely no idea if you'll make QB.

RaiderInBlue47

New

Post by RaiderInBlue47 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:09 pm

The love I'm feeling in here = Overwhelming! Well let's say I fill my shoes at MTSU and get a 15___. I'm pretty much looking at Tier 2 then, right?

To the MTSU guy, probably not, I Just declared.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EricBerry

Bronze

Post by EricBerry » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:34 pm

RaiderInBlue47 wrote:The love I'm feeling in here = Overwhelming! Well let's say I fill my shoes at MTSU and get a 15___. I'm pretty much looking at Tier 2 then, right?

To the MTSU guy, probably not, I Just declared.
Seriously though, get the Powerscore Logic Games and Logical Reasoning Bibles and a ton of recent practice tests. If you work hard with those materials, you should hit your peak on the LSAT by the second or third try. I scored a 160 on my second try and was fairly disappointed after PTing at 163 for a long time, but I seriously slacked off in the months leading up to my retake. Even with the 160 and a relatively low LSDAS GPA, I have some adequate options in the upper T2. Don't underestimate the power of solid LORs, resumes, addenda, and personal statements. My cycle turned out way better than expected and a lot of it had to do with the parts of the application that are often overlooked by number whores on this site. Best of luck.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:28 am

1. Take the easiest classes for your major and get As. No "undewater basketweaving" for the electives but the closest you can get without raising eyebrows is fine.

2. To raise that GPA, get some A's in community college courses near where you work/volunteer/do research/whatever during the summer. Doing that each summer during undergrad raised my gpa by .11 which almost certainly gave me $100k+ in scholarship money at my top prospects which I wouldn't have had. It might not have such a great impact on your schollys like it did for me (URM) but it surely won't hurt.

The LSAT you can't get to work on until around a year before your scheduled test date. But the GPA is critical.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:45 am

154 but re-take for a 162

and

raise you gpa. you came to this site early which is good since most people (myself included pre TLS) think that a 3.5 is good. also try to save some whales and get yourself some softs in the next couple of years.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:51 am

155, retake for 159

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:52 am

FlanAl wrote:154 but re-take for a 162

and

raise you gpa. you came to this site early which is good since most people (myself included pre TLS) think that a 3.5 is good. also try to save some whales and get yourself some softs in the next couple of years.
this is awesome advice!!!
I agree and I personally do not think a 3.5 is that high for LS. This person needs to step it up if possible in the next couple of years. 3.5 is definitely doable with a good LSAT score, but don't count on getting a good score without serious studying. And good softs always help.

jalaw2014

New

Post by jalaw2014 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:12 am

RaiderInBlue47 wrote:Well like I said, I'm just window shopping. My poli sci advisor specializes in the pre-law kids and thinks I'll score a mid-high 160s and if I really really work at it something in the 170s so I'm going off of that. I haven't taken a practice test myself but that's my goal, 165-170 with the same GPA.

Of course you'll have to take all of that with a grain of salt, but I don't have to tell you guys that.
My advisor thinks I'm going to be an astronaut. Herp Derp.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:16 am

jalaw2014 wrote: My advisor thinks I'm going to be an astronaut. Herp Derp.
I totally just spit out my mashed potatoes laughing when I read that.

Stonewall

Bronze

Post by Stonewall » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:21 am

I vote UT for the crazy low IS tuition

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”