Try to get off hold at NU? Or GULC? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HateOlives

New

Try to get off hold at NU? Or GULC?

Post by HateOlives » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:23 pm

I'm already in at GULC, and I'm debating whether to try very hard to get off hold at NU (interview, 3 essays, LOCI, another CPE).

Trying to get off hold pushes me up against the GULC deadline for deposits (both to enter the class and housing). And, I'd have to pay for a flight to Chicago.

Is the money I'd have to spend to potentially get off hold at NU (roughly $1000) worth it? Or am I better off saving the money and just going to GULC?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Re: Try to get off hold at NU? Or GULC?

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Stay on hold at NU, even if it costs you money, because it's a slightly better school. but you should only do this if you are purely going off employment statistics/the ability to find a job.

this was poorly worded. i'm still kind of drunk. make sense?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:26 pm

HateOlives wrote:I'm already in at GULC, and I'm debating whether to try very hard to get off hold at NU (interview, 3 essays, LOCI, another CPE).

Trying to get off hold pushes me up against the GULC deadline for deposits (both to enter the class and housing). And, I'd have to pay for a flight to Chicago.

Is the money I'd have to spend to potentially get off hold at NU (roughly $1000) worth it? Or am I better off saving the money and just going to GULC?
I guess it depends on whether you want to work in Chicago or DC. They both have national reach but those are the most likely markets you'll be entering. How much do you like Northwestern? If you're a younger person, it might not be the best place for you. I don't think it's worth all the trouble and stress if the probability of getting into NU isn't high after doing all that.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:29 pm

ran12 wrote:
HateOlives wrote:I'm already in at GULC, and I'm debating whether to try very hard to get off hold at NU (interview, 3 essays, LOCI, another CPE).

I guess it depends on whether you want to work in Chicago or DC. They both have national reach but those are the most likely markets you'll be entering. How much do you like Northwestern? If you're a younger person, it might not be the best place for you. I don't think it's worth all the trouble and stress if the probability of getting into NU isn't high after doing all that.
well they did put OP on hold, which is better than a waitlist i believe. but i'm gonna disagree with you slightly on this - i think NU has better employment statistics, enough to strongly consider staying on hold

HateOlives

New

Post by HateOlives » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:35 pm

I'd appreciate the more mature class at NU, since I've been out of school and working since 2007. NU has been my first choice. I'd be happy to live in DC or Chicago, though.

I'm going purely based on employment prospects.

The tough part is just the uncertainty of my actions. Will they have any effect in getting me off hold...who knows?

Does anyone know if many people got off hold last year?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:42 pm

The current thinking is that last year could be a generally poor indicator since applications are down this year. Meaning possibly more people might come off holds and waitlists. That being said... I have no idea how many people came off holds at NU.

I'm a little confused as to why it costs a grand - they said you have to come interview again in person?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:43 pm

ahduth wrote:The current thinking is that last year could be a generally poor indicator since applications are down this year. Meaning possibly more people might come off holds and waitlists. That being said... I have no idea how many people came off holds at NU.

I'm a little confused as to why it costs a grand - they said you have to come interview again in person?

probably 2 $500 seat deposits for GULC coming up soon

HateOlives

New

Post by HateOlives » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:44 pm

$1000 would include cost of the flight, deposits at GULC for seat and housing (I'd want to live on-campus for the 1st year, I think).

On-campus interviewing isn't required. But, I think I interview well, and I'd like to increase my chance of getting off hold as much as possible if I decide to pursue it.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:45 pm

HateOlives wrote:I've been out of school and working since 2007. NU has been my first choice.

NU FTW. Try to get off hold

Also, interview at NU if you can, even if it's not required
Last edited by paulinaporizkova on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:46 pm

ahduth wrote:The current thinking is that last year could be a generally poor indicator since applications are down this year. Meaning possibly more people might come off holds and waitlists. That being said... I have no idea how many people came off holds at NU.

The extra grand presumably comes from the lost seat deposit at GULC, should OP gain admission to Northwestern, right? OP: if you're going off of pure job prospects, this is a no-brainer, as NU >>>> GULC as a whole. Both are still good schools, but NU consistently places above its already high ranking w/r/t biglaw.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:56 pm

Ah. Did you not interview with NU before?

HateOlives

New

Post by HateOlives » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:38 pm

I did interview off-campus. I'm going for broke, I think...will interview on-campus.

Other thing that might complicate matters is Cornell. Haven't heard from them. But don't think I'd want to live in Ithaca.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:39 pm

HateOlives wrote:I did interview off-campus. I'm going for broke, I think...will interview on-campus.
<----unaware you could interview twice. GL!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:37 pm

HateOlives wrote:I'd appreciate the more mature class at NU, since I've been out of school and working since 2007. NU has been my first choice. I'd be happy to live in DC or Chicago, though.

The tough part is just the uncertainty of my actions. Will they have any effect in getting me off hold...who knows?

Does anyone know if many people got off hold last year?
If you've been out working in the corporate world (assumption, I know), you should be well-versed in viewing this as an investment: simply "the cost of doing business". And really, your investment at risk isn't $1000- it's $500 since if your $500 worth of NU efforts fail, you'd still use your $500 Gtown deposit. In the grand scheme of a legal career, I personally would spend $500-$1000 for the chance to bolster my prospects. If money's tight or you're not that big on NU, I can see why you wouldn't. But if you can semi-reasonably afford it and want to show them you're serious, go for it.

hefferlump

New

Post by hefferlump » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:21 pm

Depends what you want to do after law school... I was accepted at NU, put down the deposit, then spent several months convincing GULC to take me off the waitlist. But, I want PI and was very interested in international law - for those things GULC blows NU out of the water. I'd also suggest that if you want to end up working for the Federal Government, think very seriously about GULC - one of the best things about Georgetown is that you have access to such great school-year internships, whose importance should not be underestimated in the scheme of this whole "getting a job" thing.

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:06 pm

Ask the question like this instead: would you pay $1000 right now to go to NU. If the answer is yes, then do it. Remember, if you do not get in, then the GULC deposits will not be wasted.

So the only money you are "risking" (assuming the answer to the above question is "Yes" is the cost of the flight. Thinking in terms of risking $1000 is wrongheaded.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”