Which schools? - please read before voting

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which choice would you choose?

Go to UNC, do not consider other options
18%
Go to UNC unless American offers full-tuition
20%
Go to UNC unless UVA accepts me off the wait list, even though tuition is very expensive
62%

Total votes: 84

DeeCee

Re: Which schools? - please read before voting

Postby DeeCee » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:14 pm

bumped for more votes

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:31 pm

A few thoughts for OP to consider:

UNC's law school bumped tuition yesterday by $1,500 for next year and another $1,500 for 2012-13. The university also bumped tuition for all grad students by another $500 yesterday. So tuition and fees next year will be around $19,000. The year after that will be above $20,500.

Graduating without any debt at American is certainly something to think hard about. Debt is difficult to pay down on a PI lawyer's salary. I assume the scholarship is renewable. Does it have a minimum GPA or class standing requirement? And if so, what is it?

Public interest work is something that a significant percentage of UNC law students plan to pursue, and the law school caters to them. That means that you'll find a great deal of like minded students in your class and supportive professors in the faculty. I'm not sure whether that's important to you, or not, but my impression is that is not something you find at all law schools. One of my summer internships was with a nonprofit in D.C. Two of my co-workers were recent grads finishing up year long fellowships (one from American and one from NYLS). Both complained bitterly, and frequently, about how few of their classmates had been remotely interested in public interest work. They thought I was joking when I talked about how many UNC students are there to do public interest. Public service is also highly valued at the school. Even those students who plan to work for large law firms typically participate in public service while they are there. Oh, and many recent UNC law grads are doing public interest work in the D.C. area. The public interest people at the law school are not limited to only working in North Carolina.

That said, you may plan to do public interest work now, but you don't know where your career will take you. If you get into UVA I think you should go there since it has a good LRAP program. I'm currently working with a recent UVA grad who is benefiting from it.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:22 am

Thanks TarHeel for your thoughts. I really appreciate the candid thoughts here.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:28 am

If you have a shot at the top-10 its a no-brainer. The economy is too tough, and firms are still cutting jobs. UNC might be precarious just on its own, unless you want to work in Charlotte or some place like that.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:41 am

PDaddy wrote:If you have a shot at the top-10 its a no-brainer. The economy is too tough, and firms are still cutting jobs. UNC might be precarious just on its own, unless you want to work in Charlotte or some place like that.

It's really not that cut and dry though, due to the varying costs of the schools. I'm looking at (possible) full-tuition all three years at American vs. 17k (or 19k according to TarHeel11) per year at UNC vs 47k per year at UVA. These are three drastically different costs to consider for someone interested in PI.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:44 am

DeeCee wrote:
PDaddy wrote:If you have a shot at the top-10 its a no-brainer. The economy is too tough, and firms are still cutting jobs. UNC might be precarious just on its own, unless you want to work in Charlotte or some place like that.

It's really not that cut and dry though, due to the varying costs of the schools. I'm looking at (possible) full-tuition all three years at American vs. 17k (or 19k according to TarHeel11) per year at UNC vs 47k per year at UVA. These are three drastically different costs to consider for someone interested in PI.

*ahem* Or $44k at GULC...

Just sayin.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:49 am

beachbum wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

*ahem* Or $44k at GULC...

Just sayin.

You are really all about some GULC! I will keep this thought in the back of my mind, though.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:27 am

how debt averse are you? if you dont mind going into debt- then keep your options open. if you dont like debt... UNC

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:35 am

northwood wrote:how debt averse are you? if you dont mind going into debt- then keep your options open. if you dont like debt... UNC

I'm pretty debt averse because on top of LS debt I have 28k from grad school. This is why I have so many questions. I feel that UVA or a similar WL'd school could be a good overall investment, esp with a good LRAP, but I'm still not comfortable with spending a ton of money at the same time.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:37 am

then dont put the extra pressure on yourself. go to unc- where the tuition is the same ( minus the 2k increase) for 3 years, regardless of your performance. the tough opart about median cluases is that you can and most likely will put extra pressure on finals day to do better because of the stakes at hand. UVa isa fantastic school- but if the price scares you, and may intimidate/ pressure you worse than it will be- its not for you.

edit drunken rambles/ spelling errors

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:42 am

northwood wrote:then dont put the extra pressure on yourself. go to unc- where the tuition is the same ( minus the 2k increase) for 3 years, regardless of your performance. the tough opart about median cluases is that you can and most likely will put extra pressure on finals day to do better because of the stakes at hand. UVa isa fantastic school- but if the price scares you, and may intimidate/ pressure you worse than it will be- its not for you.

edit drunken rambles/ spelling errors

it's ok, I'm pretty drunk too off of some wine, lol. Thanks for the advice. Like I said before, I really like UNC. It is so respected in NC that I don't see being able to get a job in the state being a big problem. My only concern is that I'll get closed out of the DC market, which is still my concern, but I'm gradually sorting this all out in my head.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:47 am

well cheers!!!!!!!!

if you do well enough- then you will have a chance at DC off the bat. If not, and dc is where you want to be after a few years practicing, try to position yourself to go there- its a longshot, but you never know. Once you have experience and a good reputation, you can be able to move to DC from NC. it may take time, but you are close enough regionally speaking that it can be done.

remember, you have a month plus to make your final decision. plenty of time to sort things through,and talk to lawyers who know more than random people on TLS about NC adn DC from NC, and UNC. dont giv yourself a migrane, or an ulcer over this...

best of luck- and Cheers@!

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:52 pm

Thanks everyone for your insights. I am really leaning toward UNC, barring some substantial scholarship or other amazing situation (coming off the WL at UVA, perhaps?) that arises.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”