Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Temple $ vs. UMD

Temple
24
83%
UMD
5
17%
 
Total votes: 29

tarp
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:22 am

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby tarp » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:54 am

As for Drexel being a better university overall than Temple... Drexel is #86 for National Universities and Temple is #132 . These are the U.S. news rankings. And I harbor no resentment toward Temple. In fact my wife is a student there and I think it's an excellent school. It's just that Drexel is higher ranked than Temple as a university. There are no rankings for Drexel's law school yet, so we can't compare those. If you rankings whores are so in awe of USNews then you must accept this as fact - Drexel is a better university than Temple, U.S. News said so, so it must be true! (do you notice the sarcasm?)

Also, you guys are morons for thinking a law school education is a ticket to a cushy biglaw gig. The market is changing. Biglaw doesn't need you anymore. They hire unemployed experienced lawyers with a minimum of 5+ years of experience. Only a select few firms are still hiring new graduates and only at a trickle compared to the past decade. Whoever called me a moron is actually the imbecile here - in fact, I am smart to take a full-ride scholarship at a great school (Drexel) even when I could have gone to Wake Forest, American, or UMD. I even turned down a half ride at Wake Forest to come to Drexel. Why? Because I will have no debt and can start my own solo practice which is what I have always wanted to do.

You are taking a gamble if you spent 100k+ on a law degree anywhere outside of the T14 and expect a biglaw job to magically land in your palms. You will be competing against a lot of other students for those few coveted jobs, and you have NO idea where your class rank will fall. If you graduate from Maryland at the bottom of your class how will you repay those loans?

Either way, if you are a self-starter with entrepreneurial spirit, going to law school for free at a solid up-and-coming school like Drexel is a solid choice. The amount of hate on this site is astounding especially considering that MANY attorneys in Philadelphia are VERY supportive of Drexel. I happen to know that Drexel is a solid choice even if you are not of the entrepreneurial mindset, but no matter where you graduate from, the current legal job market is tough to swallow. If you are a worker bee, then maybe it is your best bet to go to the "higher ranked" school and try your best to get to the top of your class. All I have to say is good luck! As for the idiot hiring partner who supposedly gives Widener grads preference over Drexel grads, that in itself shows a massive amount of stupidity. Widener is not even in the same league as Drexel. Drexel is a highly respected institution. If you weren't a "0L" you would understand that.

Either way, as 0L's you guys have very little insight to bring to the situation. I worked for almost a decade in the litigation support industry and I am a 2L who has completed internships and clinics and actually understands how the practice of law works. Come back and talk to me once you have some actual experience in the real world and we'll talk. Good luck chasing that elusive hellish 80-hour-workweek job at Sidley Austin. I'll be doing real work with real clients in my OWN office, calling my own shots and setting my own hours, and will make MORE than you are making while working 80 hours a work on dry corporate transactional shit. I will take my vacations when I want to, I will pick and choose my cases based on their merits, and I will NOT be a corporate slave.

By the way, I went to law school because of a genuine interest in justice and criminal defense/immigration matters. That puts me in a completely different category than the vast majority of morons who want to get a law degree despite having no interest in law, merely because their bachelor's degree in English is useless for finding a job.

Most of you guys (and girls) are pathetic, money-grubbing idiots who will (if you ever graduate and pass the bar) give a bad name to lawyers because you are doing it for the wrong reasons.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:19 pm

tarp wrote:As for Drexel being a better university overall than Temple... Drexel is #86 for National Universities and Temple is #132 . These are the U.S. news rankings. And I harbor no resentment toward Temple. In fact my wife is a student there and I think it's an excellent school. It's just that Drexel is higher ranked than Temple as a university. There are no rankings for Drexel's law school yet, so we can't compare those. If you rankings whores are so in awe of USNews then you must accept this as fact - Drexel is a better university than Temple, U.S. News said so, so it must be true! (do you notice the sarcasm?)

Also, you guys are morons for thinking a law school education is a ticket to a cushy biglaw gig. The market is changing. Biglaw doesn't need you anymore. They hire unemployed experienced lawyers with a minimum of 5+ years of experience. Only a select few firms are still hiring new graduates and only at a trickle compared to the past decade. Whoever called me a moron is actually the imbecile here - in fact, I am smart to take a full-ride scholarship at a great school (Drexel) even when I could have gone to Wake Forest, American, or UMD. I even turned down a half ride at Wake Forest to come to Drexel. Why? Because I will have no debt and can start my own solo practice which is what I have always wanted to do.

You are taking a gamble if you spent 100k+ on a law degree anywhere outside of the T14 and expect a biglaw job to magically land in your palms. You will be competing against a lot of other students for those few coveted jobs, and you have NO idea where your class rank will fall. If you graduate from Maryland at the bottom of your class how will you repay those loans?

Either way, if you are a self-starter with entrepreneurial spirit, going to law school for free at a solid up-and-coming school like Drexel is a solid choice. The amount of hate on this site is astounding especially considering that MANY attorneys in Philadelphia are VERY supportive of Drexel. I happen to know that Drexel is a solid choice even if you are not of the entrepreneurial mindset, but no matter where you graduate from, the current legal job market is tough to swallow. If you are a worker bee, then maybe it is your best bet to go to the "higher ranked" school and try your best to get to the top of your class. All I have to say is good luck! As for the idiot hiring partner who supposedly gives Widener grads preference over Drexel grads, that in itself shows a massive amount of stupidity. Widener is not even in the same league as Drexel. Drexel is a highly respected institution. If you weren't a "0L" you would understand that.

Either way, as 0L's you guys have very little insight to bring to the situation. I worked for almost a decade in the litigation support industry and I am a 2L who has completed internships and clinics and actually understands how the practice of law works. Come back and talk to me once you have some actual experience in the real world and we'll talk. Good luck chasing that elusive hellish 80-hour-workweek job at Sidley Austin. I'll be doing real work with real clients in my OWN office, calling my own shots and setting my own hours, and will make MORE than you are making while working 80 hours a work on dry corporate transactional shit. I will take my vacations when I want to, I will pick and choose my cases based on their merits, and I will NOT be a corporate slave.

By the way, I went to law school because of a genuine interest in justice and criminal defense/immigration matters. That puts me in a completely different category than the vast majority of morons who want to get a law degree despite having no interest in law, merely because their bachelor's degree in English is useless for finding a job.

Most of you guys (and girls) are pathetic, money-grubbing idiots who will (if you ever graduate and pass the bar) give a bad name to lawyers because you are doing it for the wrong reasons.


I'm with you on too many 0L's thinking biglaw or bust and thinking they'll just get biglaw if they want or "settle" for 60-80k a year.

I am certainly NOT with you on Drexel being anywhere near Temple/Nova or the fact that you think you'll be making the same as biglaw associates who slave away while you are working in YOUR OWN private practice.That paragraph gave me a real chuckle.

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby MrKappus » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:41 pm

The entire post was lulzy. "Here's why I'm right because of rankings! But I think rankings mean nothing, which is why I'll write with "sarcasm" about them!" Also, not sure what part of "LAW RANKINGS" tarp can't wrap his head around. Say it with me dude, LAW RANKINGS. If you think Drexel will outrank Temple/Nova in...LAW RANKINGS...anytime soon, well, that kind of pie-in-the-sky rainbow 'n butterflies thinking is just precious. And wrong.

Speaking of wrong: if you honestly think you'll make more than $160k + bonus working in your own little "criminal law/immigration" shop, you're dangerously delusional. Criminals and immigrants with means aren't going to pick your name out of the yellow pages just because you're wearing a suit and have your arms crossed in front of you in a serious way, and criminals/immigrants without means aren't going to be paying your $160k/year.

Let's see if I missed anything. I kind of agree with your opinion that too many LS grads go into it with a "biglaw or bust" attitude, but your condescension combined with knowing dick about hiring patterns and the market for solos easily outweighs your one decent (though by no means original) observation. On the whole, your post's just kind of pathetic because you're clearly trying to justify in hindsight what you now have a sneaking suspicion was a terrible move: going to Drexel for the scholarship. There's no free lunch. You're probably going to end up with what you paid for.

phillylawgrad
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby phillylawgrad » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:02 pm

For what its worth I am a recent (2010) graduate of a Philly area school who passed the PA/NJ bar and is working in litigation for a (very) small firm. Law school is probably a bad idea for most people going to Temple/Maryland/Drexel/Nova. I know quite a few recent Drexel/Temple/Nova/Widener grads. I think taking a scholarship at Drexel probably is a better decision than taking the others at full price or with small scholarships.

Most of the graduates I know have found something, including the recent Drexel grads. In fact two minutes looking through firms on google will reveal Drexel grads in a lot of small/midsmall firms. These are the same types of jobs that Temple/Nova grads are getting. These jobs typically do not come with big starting salaries and Drexel grads (many/most of whom received scholarships) are in a much better position without the extra debt.

Temple/Nova will give you a better chance at Philly Biglaw (~15% vs.~10%). But none of these schools offer good Biglaw chances. There is an assumption on this board that Drexel grads just wont find jobs. This is not true from what i've seen. This is not to say that Drexel job prospects are good...they are not. In my opinion, however, they are not that much worse than Temple/Nova to make the extra debt from those schools worthwhile.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby dr123 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:05 pm

I'd just like to chime in that undergrad rankings are the most useless garbage there is

User avatar
2things2
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:39 am

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby 2things2 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:57 pm

tarp wrote:As for Drexel being a better university overall than Temple... Drexel is #86 for National Universities and Temple is #132 . These are the U.S. news rankings. And I harbor no resentment toward Temple. In fact my wife is a student there and I think it's an excellent school. It's just that Drexel is higher ranked than Temple as a university. There are no rankings for Drexel's law school yet, so we can't compare those. If you rankings whores are so in awe of USNews then you must accept this as fact - Drexel is a better university than Temple, U.S. News said so, so it must be true! (do you notice the sarcasm?)

Also, you guys are morons for thinking a law school education is a ticket to a cushy biglaw gig. The market is changing. Biglaw doesn't need you anymore. They hire unemployed experienced lawyers with a minimum of 5+ years of experience. Only a select few firms are still hiring new graduates and only at a trickle compared to the past decade. Whoever called me a moron is actually the imbecile here - in fact, I am smart to take a full-ride scholarship at a great school (Drexel) even when I could have gone to Wake Forest, American, or UMD. I even turned down a half ride at Wake Forest to come to Drexel. Why? Because I will have no debt and can start my own solo practice which is what I have always wanted to do.

You are taking a gamble if you spent 100k+ on a law degree anywhere outside of the T14 and expect a biglaw job to magically land in your palms. You will be competing against a lot of other students for those few coveted jobs, and you have NO idea where your class rank will fall. If you graduate from Maryland at the bottom of your class how will you repay those loans?

Either way, if you are a self-starter with entrepreneurial spirit, going to law school for free at a solid up-and-coming school like Drexel is a solid choice. The amount of hate on this site is astounding especially considering that MANY attorneys in Philadelphia are VERY supportive of Drexel. I happen to know that Drexel is a solid choice even if you are not of the entrepreneurial mindset, but no matter where you graduate from, the current legal job market is tough to swallow. If you are a worker bee, then maybe it is your best bet to go to the "higher ranked" school and try your best to get to the top of your class. All I have to say is good luck! As for the idiot hiring partner who supposedly gives Widener grads preference over Drexel grads, that in itself shows a massive amount of stupidity. Widener is not even in the same league as Drexel. Drexel is a highly respected institution. If you weren't a "0L" you would understand that.

Either way, as 0L's you guys have very little insight to bring to the situation. I worked for almost a decade in the litigation support industry and I am a 2L who has completed internships and clinics and actually understands how the practice of law works. Come back and talk to me once you have some actual experience in the real world and we'll talk. Good luck chasing that elusive hellish 80-hour-workweek job at Sidley Austin. I'll be doing real work with real clients in my OWN office, calling my own shots and setting my own hours, and will make MORE than you are making while working 80 hours a work on dry corporate transactional shit. I will take my vacations when I want to, I will pick and choose my cases based on their merits, and I will NOT be a corporate slave.

By the way, I went to law school because of a genuine interest in justice and criminal defense/immigration matters. That puts me in a completely different category than the vast majority of morons who want to get a law degree despite having no interest in law, merely because their bachelor's degree in English is useless for finding a job.

Most of you guys (and girls) are pathetic, money-grubbing idiots who will (if you ever graduate and pass the bar) give a bad name to lawyers because you are doing it for the wrong reasons.


This makes you sound incredibly immature for someone with so much law experience and knowledge regarding what's right and wrong in the legal field. I'm not sure why you're taking this so personally. And how does Drexel rank ahead of Temple? I just don't understand. Also, I would've taken that half scholarship to Wake, but that's just me.
Last edited by 2things2 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omarlos
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:45 am

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby omarlos » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:48 pm

I'm not advocating that drexel is better than temple/nova, but simply the rep around philly is not as bad as you think from numerous people.

offers for drexel $$$ or temple/nova sticker this article and other info are making it a difficult decision

--LinkRemoved--

seriously????
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby seriously???? » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:59 pm

tarp wrote:As for Drexel being a better university overall than Temple... Drexel is #86 for National Universities and Temple is #132 . These are the U.S. news rankings. And I harbor no resentment toward Temple. In fact my wife is a student there and I think it's an excellent school. It's just that Drexel is higher ranked than Temple as a university. There are no rankings for Drexel's law school yet, so we can't compare those. If you rankings whores are so in awe of USNews then you must accept this as fact - Drexel is a better university than Temple, U.S. News said so, so it must be true! (do you notice the sarcasm?)

Also, you guys are morons for thinking a law school education is a ticket to a cushy biglaw gig. The market is changing. Biglaw doesn't need you anymore. They hire unemployed experienced lawyers with a minimum of 5+ years of experience. Only a select few firms are still hiring new graduates and only at a trickle compared to the past decade. Whoever called me a moron is actually the imbecile here - in fact, I am smart to take a full-ride scholarship at a great school (Drexel) even when I could have gone to Wake Forest, American, or UMD. I even turned down a half ride at Wake Forest to come to Drexel. Why? Because I will have no debt and can start my own solo practice which is what I have always wanted to do.

You are taking a gamble if you spent 100k+ on a law degree anywhere outside of the T14 and expect a biglaw job to magically land in your palms. You will be competing against a lot of other students for those few coveted jobs, and you have NO idea where your class rank will fall. If you graduate from Maryland at the bottom of your class how will you repay those loans?

Either way, if you are a self-starter with entrepreneurial spirit, going to law school for free at a solid up-and-coming school like Drexel is a solid choice. The amount of hate on this site is astounding especially considering that MANY attorneys in Philadelphia are VERY supportive of Drexel. I happen to know that Drexel is a solid choice even if you are not of the entrepreneurial mindset, but no matter where you graduate from, the current legal job market is tough to swallow. If you are a worker bee, then maybe it is your best bet to go to the "higher ranked" school and try your best to get to the top of your class. All I have to say is good luck! As for the idiot hiring partner who supposedly gives Widener grads preference over Drexel grads, that in itself shows a massive amount of stupidity. Widener is not even in the same league as Drexel. Drexel is a highly respected institution. If you weren't a "0L" you would understand that.

Either way, as 0L's you guys have very little insight to bring to the situation. I worked for almost a decade in the litigation support industry and I am a 2L who has completed internships and clinics and actually understands how the practice of law works. Come back and talk to me once you have some actual experience in the real world and we'll talk. Good luck chasing that elusive hellish 80-hour-workweek job at Sidley Austin. I'll be doing real work with real clients in my OWN office, calling my own shots and setting my own hours, and will make MORE than you are making while working 80 hours a work on dry corporate transactional shit. I will take my vacations when I want to, I will pick and choose my cases based on their merits, and I will NOT be a corporate slave.

By the way, I went to law school because of a genuine interest in justice and criminal defense/immigration matters. That puts me in a completely different category than the vast majority of morons who want to get a law degree despite having no interest in law, merely because their bachelor's degree in English is useless for finding a job.

Most of you guys (and girls) are pathetic, money-grubbing idiots who will (if you ever graduate and pass the bar) give a bad name to lawyers because you are doing it for the wrong reasons.


First off, I went to Temple undergrad, and I will say Drexel is overall a better school. This is a large part due that Drexel is a much smaller school. Temple has so many junk majors it is ridiculous.

I have somewhat common goals with you. I also want to start up my own firm one day. I was given a full ride to Widener, which places better than Drexel, but I am still not going to take the offer. You may have a little experience, but do you really think you will be a better lawyer on your own than many much more experienced attorneys. Further, as a previous poster stated, there is not much money in criminal and immigration law, especially where justice is concerned. If you want to make money in Philly as a criminal attorney, you will have to take money up front from coke/crack/heroine dealers who are most likely guilty. But I do dig the entrepreneurial spirit, but I think the consensus is that one needs to accumulate experience and a client base before he/she can branch out on his/her own. That's why biglaw is appealing, because you get experience, and people know who you are.

I agree, 100K in debt outside of a T14 is a gamble, but so is drexel on a full ride.

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby arvcondor » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:23 pm

1. A higher undergrad ranking does not indicate that a school is better than another. This is just silly. For example, Temple's MFA program is in the country's top ten. That does not make it better than any other given school overall.

2. I oppose Drexel Law on moral and practical grounds. The fact is, I see Earle Mack as a contributor to a glut of JDs toxic to every graduate. I can't in good sense support a school I wish didn't exist.

3. The decision of Drexel vs. Temple (which as one poster mentioned isn't even a decision that was being made, but is now one that has to be chosen and defended) is certainly risk vs. risk, but it's more like the devil I know vs. the one I don't.

User avatar
2things2
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:39 am

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby 2things2 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:20 am

What about someone looking for a J.D./M.B.A.? Temple in-state or Maryland out of state?

tarp
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:22 am

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby tarp » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:12 pm

The whole point of my post was just that. Drexel is a solid school, and someone who can get a hefty merit scholarship there should seriously consider it, especially if the alternative is paying full cost at Temple or Nova. So now we have two people, one of whom works in a Philly firm and knows graduates from multiple local law schools, saying that Drexel grads are getting the same jobs that Temple and Nova grads are getting, with only slightly worse prospects for biglaw (but none of these schools have good prospects for biglaw).

Obviously I don't expect to make $160k a year my first year as a solo - but most biglaw jobs are NOT $160k+signing bonus... reality check. Plus, money is not everything. There is something to be said for owning your own business and working hard for your clients. For what it's worth, I do not plan on practicing here in Philly, and I have a niche (foreign language skill) that will help with finding clients for an immigration practice.

ballpop
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:23 am

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby ballpop » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:14 pm

Temple

seriously????
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby seriously???? » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:34 pm

tarp wrote:The whole point of my post was just that. Drexel is a solid school, and someone who can get a hefty merit scholarship there should seriously consider it, especially if the alternative is paying full cost at Temple or Nova. So now we have two people, one of whom works in a Philly firm and knows graduates from multiple local law schools, saying that Drexel grads are getting the same jobs that Temple and Nova grads are getting, with only slightly worse prospects for biglaw (but none of these schools have good prospects for biglaw).

Obviously I don't expect to make $160k a year my first year as a solo - but most biglaw jobs are NOT $160k+signing bonus... reality check. Plus, money is not everything. There is something to be said for owning your own business and working hard for your clients. For what it's worth, I do not plan on practicing here in Philly, and I have a niche (foreign language skill) that will help with finding clients for an immigration practice.


OK, so pretty much you are saying that you somewhat apologize for your previous rant, and a previous poster who "lol'ed" at another previous comment set you off. When going to Philly biglaw websites, I am willing to bet you that Drexel prospects are more than "slightly worse" than Temple and Villanova with biglaw. Maybe your argument is that Temple and Villanova's 15% chance is small to begin with, so anything under that is marginal. However, since Drexel most likely is on par with Widener, which places less than one percent in biglaw, many people would say that a 1 in 7 chance at a big payday is better than a 1 in a 100 chance. Further, I also agree that not all will make 160k coming out. But if these modal predictions of income are accurate, if one is either going to make 120k plus or 50k, well that 70k difference adds up in a few years. However, if you can survive those first few years making 50k and keep getting better at the craft and establish clients, its all good. And you did it your way.

BTW, for the OP, if you are down with Baltimore, why not apply to UBaltimore?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:19 pm

tarp wrote:For what it's worth, I do not plan on practicing here in Philly, and I have a niche (foreign language skill) that will help with finding clients for an immigration practice.


Good luck getting a legal job outside Philly with a Drexel degree...

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby dr123 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:22 pm

hate to break it to you but knowing a foreign language isn't really a niche, a whole shitton of people are bilingual or trilingual

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:23 pm

tarp wrote:The whole point of my post was just that. Drexel is a solid school, and someone who can get a hefty merit scholarship there should seriously consider it, especially if the alternative is paying full cost at Temple or Nova.


Actually, retake/reapply is the correct response.

tarp wrote:So now we have two people, one of whom works in a Philly firm and knows graduates from multiple local law schools, saying that Drexel grads are getting the same jobs that Temple and Nova grads are getting, with only slightly worse prospects for biglaw (but none of these schools have good prospects for biglaw).


Translation: So now we have two anecdotes, both of which are unbacked by NLJ 250 statistics.

tarp wrote:Obviously I don't expect to make $160k a year my first year as a solo - but most biglaw jobs are NOT $160k+signing bonus...


True, but most biglaw jobs start over 100k, well above what most small and mid-sized firms pay their first-year associates.

seriously????
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby seriously???? » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:43 pm

dr123 wrote:hate to break it to you but knowing a foreign language isn't really a niche, a whole shitton of people are bilingual or trilingual


Actually, I think it could be of use, but it depends on what language he speaks. If it is a language that few people know (like spanish), and the people who speak it are primarily first generation immigrants, that is probably a special quality to have. Still do not know how much could be made off of immigrants, but who knows, there are some non-English speaking immigrants with money in NYC. And although there are probably a ton of illegals who are treated unfairly, I am assuming it is hard for them to win big court cases against their exploiters, since they are not citizens.

And actually, immigration law might be the best kind of law where degrees do not matter, for immigrants have no clue about US News rankings.

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby arvcondor » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:47 pm

seriously???? wrote:And actually, immigration law might be the best kind of law where degrees do not matter, for immigrants have no clue about US News rankings.
Immigrants also do not typically select their own lawyers.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby dr123 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:52 pm

seriously???? wrote:
dr123 wrote:hate to break it to you but knowing a foreign language isn't really a niche, a whole shitton of people are bilingual or trilingual


Actually, I think it could be of use, but it depends on what language he speaks. If it is a language that few people know (like spanish), and the people who speak it are primarily first generation immigrants, that is probably a special quality to have. Still do not know how much could be made off of immigrants, but who knows, there are some non-English speaking immigrants with money in NYC. And although there are probably a ton of illegals who are treated unfairly, I am assuming it is hard for them to win big court cases against their exploiters, since they are not citizens.

And actually, immigration law might be the best kind of law where degrees do not matter, for immigrants have no clue about US News rankings.


Spanish is what I was thinking of when I wrote that post, EVERYONE knows spanish.

seriously????
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby seriously???? » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:56 pm

sarcastic i was, but I don't know, say a language like Slovak, where most people are first generation, now there are older generations that are lawyers, but if a slovak with a law degree goes to the slovak church says "i'm a lawyer" blah,blah, blah, and "im a slovak, we stick together" he could start to establish some sort of client base

tarp
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:22 am

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby tarp » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Don't worry about my business plan, or what language I speak (it's not Spanish), or even where I plan to practice. I will do just fine for myself. The insight I wished to share was that Drexel has an excellent program and someone with numbers like the OP will do just fine attending the school if they get a nice scholarship offer. By the way Drexel is NOT like Widener at all. Drexel does not fail out a large chunk of the 1L class every year, and Drexel has much higher admissions standards. Regardless, anyone who dreams of working for big law firms should NOT attend any of the schools mentioned here, period. It is just too much of a risk. Retake the LSAT and get into Penn or Georgetown or even better, Yale.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:22 pm

tarp wrote:By the way Drexel is NOT like Widener at all.


You're right. Widener actually has an alumni network.

tarp
Posts: 157
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:22 am

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby tarp » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:30 pm

Heavenwood, you know what's really interesting about "alumni networks"? Not only do they have a way of magically materializing after a school has several graduating classes, but they also really don't tend to give a rat's ass about whether you graduated from their school or not. Nobody is going to hand you a job just because you went to their school. Trust me, that's not how it works. You're not even in law school yet, so I can't fault you for not understanding this simple concept.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:40 pm

tarp wrote:Heavenwood, you know what's really interesting about "alumni networks"? Not only do they have a way of magically materializing after a school has several graduating classes, but they also really don't tend to give a rat's ass about whether you graduated from their school or not.


...aaand that's where you fail to understand how insular the Philadelphia market is. Sorry for trusting my Dad, who actually hires people, over you. Reputations mean something here. Drexel Law is still establishing one.

I'm through arguing with you. That being said, despite your stubborness and utter condescension, I do genuinely wish you the best of luck.

User avatar
arvcondor
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:33 pm

Re: Temple (small scholly) vs. Maryland (out of state sticker)

Postby arvcondor » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:58 pm

Heaven, do you have any indication of how the Philly market is doing vis a vis other areas?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: big_willy_style_333, Bing [Bot], Earlskies, freekick, Grond, ss12345 and 8 guests