The Case for T2

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: The Case for T2

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:25 am

adude wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:Are people ITT really saying saying that with a T14 LSAT score, you're just as likely to finish top 5-10% at a T2 as your are above median at a T14?


not sure what ppl you are referring to, but that is not my point

I didn't read your point, just the last 10 posts.

adude
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:41 am

Re: The Case for T2

Postby adude » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:28 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:I didn't read your point, just the last 10 posts.

k, your picture gives away your law school, btw

idfatq
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: The Case for T2

Postby idfatq » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:34 am

Here's my two cents. I'm a 0L. Law school experience shouldn't affect the content of my post:

The fact that this post was unprompted, the fact that you wanted to transfer to a T6, and the fact that you write like you're talking to a boss or a professor (unnecessary effort to sound professional) makes me think...

Let it go, adude. Let it go. You are a student at a school that doesn't have name value, and people assume you are not as bright as those who go to schools that have name value. I understand that can be annoying sometimes (especially if you feel like you are just as bright as those who go to big name schools, which you probably do). But feeling like you have to prove yourself every time you get the chance to gets you no real satisfaction in the end. Learn to ignore the urge to react with "but xyz!!!" every time you think of your second tier school name and just keep working hard (you must be doing well at your T2 to have considered transferring to a t6). Basically, try to do it for yourself, not to prove others wrong. If you are right, then that's that; whether the T14 snobs know you're right or not shouldn't affect you at all.
Last edited by idfatq on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Journeybound
Posts: 254
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:12 pm

Re: The Case for T2

Postby Journeybound » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:35 am

removed
Last edited by Journeybound on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: The Case for T2

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:39 am

adude wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:I didn't read your point, just the last 10 posts.

k, your picture gives away your law school, btw

Orly? Care to elaborate which one and how?

adude
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:41 am

Re: The Case for T2

Postby adude » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:45 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
adude wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:I didn't read your point, just the last 10 posts.

k, your picture gives away your law school, btw

Orly? Care to elaborate which one and how?

Stanford. Of course, you could have just chosen it b/c you liked it . . .

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: The Case for T2

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:46 am

adude wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
adude wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:I didn't read your point, just the last 10 posts.

k, your picture gives away your law school, btw

Orly? Care to elaborate which one and how?

Stanford. Of course, you could have just chosen it b/c you liked it . . .

bitch pleaz, I ain't that smart.

I just like me some art :)

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: The Case for T2

Postby MrKappus » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:23 am

Now I'm genuinely curious...what about a frenchman's painting that hangs in Chicago says "Stanford"?

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: The Case for T2

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:25 am

MrKappus wrote:Now I'm genuinely curious...what about a frenchman's painting that hangs in Chicago says "Stanford"?

I was actually kindof thinking he was going to say Uchi or NU. Oh well.

User avatar
Deuce
Posts: 1048
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:12 am

Re: The Case for T2

Postby Deuce » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:02 am

lolschool2011 wrote:
Deuce wrote:
adude wrote:It's easy to go with the rankings and choose a T1 over a T2 school. Still, there are several reasons why I chose a T2 school over T1 options.

First, job prospects. This is a lesson I learned coming out of a top undergrad school: it is easier to distinguish yourself at a less competitive school. It looks better to graduate from U of Oregon with honors, scholarships, law review, and awards, than to go to a T14 and get nothing. Many ppl on this site would disagree, but there are grads from top schools in the bottom quartile who have poor job prospects. Big law doesn't want them. Regional firms that have more connections to regional schools don't want them either. These bottom quartile graduates are just as smart and capable as those in the top 5% at T2 schools (who will likely have jobs) but because they chose a school where every student is highly competitive, they now have a less competitive resume and gpa.

Second, you will stand out to your professors at a T2. At a T14, a smart, outgoing student would be just another face in the crowd to a professor. However, at a T2, professors will not have as many strong students and those who ask incisive questions and respond intelligently will stand out more. Thus, a T2 student near the top of his class will have better LoR's than a median student at a T14 would have. A professor may also be more inclined to refer opportunities to the outstanding T2 student, while the T14 student will have to compete for the professor's goodwill.

Third, you are in a good position to create a strong local network at a T2. A T14 will allow you to network with people from across the nation who are likely to succeed. Still, when you settle down to practice law at a particular office, that national network becomes much less valuable and the local network becomes more valuable. The local network will help you gain referrals and make the transition from associate to partner. The national network may help to an extent, but it is less likely that former T14 classmates, who have moved back to their region, will refer a case on the other side of the country to you to handle long-distance.

Finally, location and $$$. I am with my family and friends. I also got a significant scholarship here. I would have paid close to full price at a T14.

The main drawback I see in attending a T2 is the lack of regional flexibility. However, you can overcome this obstacle with stellar grades, WE, or hard work practicing law at a regional firm.

Of course, there are exceptional people who will be able to distinguish themselves at T14 schools, despite the competition. If you are sure you are one of these people (receiving a big scholarship at a T14 is a good indication) then T14 is probably the better way to go.

Image

But really, I'm guessing you're wrong.


TL;DR, but tagged b/c I'd like to use this animated gif at a later time. Thank you.


Glad I could help... I too did not read any of the op's arguments or any counter arguments, but I'm gonna guess these pages have all been people telling him how wrong he is yet he is still pulling for strings on how he's gonna own 1L at his T2 cause and be the one kid to be offered the awesome job out of it... anyone? Is this right?

User avatar
BrianGriffintheDog
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:14 am

Re: The Case for T2

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:29 am

Not everyone is meant for tier 1. Not everyone can make it to upper end of the middle class. T2 gives you that opportunity to at least enter middle class.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dcc617, Thomas Hagan, ESQ. and 6 guests