Vault 25 Firms Summer Associate Classes (2006 data)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Informative

Vault 25 Firms Summer Associate Classes (2006 data)

Postby Informative » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:56 am

slightly old as it is 2006, but gives you an idea of the relative ratios of certain schools placing in the top law firms.

http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/2006/ ... ement.html

Bildungsroman

Re: Vault 25 Firms Summer Associate Classes (2006 data)

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:58 am

Informative wrote:slightly old ancient and useless as it is 2006

FTFITE

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:01 am

Bildungsroman wrote:

FTFITE

Yay for OCI 2004!!!

NY TO 190!!!

nosaj123

Postby nosaj123 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:11 am

Bildungsroman wrote:

FTFITE

I wouldn't say that this information is useless. Of course landing a job is much more difficult ITE, but a snapshot of school's performance during more normal economic times provides a good indication of its relative strength in big-law placement compared to other schools. The current volatility in year-to-year job placement might even make this older data more valuable for comparing schools' ability to place into the most selective firms (though the huge declines in overall NLJ 250 hiring will be more informative about the overall decline in hiring).

Disclaimer: I'm an 0L

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:13 am

nosaj123 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:

FTFITE

I wouldn't say that this information is useless. Of course landing a job is much more difficult ITE, but a snapshot of school's performance during more normal economic times provides a good indication of its relative strength in big-law placement compared to other schools. The current volatility in year-to-year job placement might even make this older data more valuable for comparing schools' ability to place into the most selective firms (though the huge declines in overall NLJ 250 hiring will be more informative about the overall decline in hiring).

Disclaimer: I'm an 0L

Not sure that 2004 OCI was a "normal economic time."

nosaj123

Postby nosaj123 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:22 am

rad law wrote:Not sure that 2004 OCI was a "normal economic time."

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider a normal economic time?

When I said a normal economic time I was referring more to the fact that different cities have been hurt differently in recent years, and as a result some schools are going to look comparatively worse than they would normally look (for example, midwest schools will probably have particularly bad placement this year because of the lack of hiring in Chicago, but that isn't reflective of what is typical from those schools)

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:15 am

nosaj123 wrote:

When I said a normal economic time I was referring more to the fact that different cities have been hurt differently in recent years, and as a result some schools are going to look comparatively worse than they would normally look (for example, midwest schools will probably have particularly bad placement this year because of the lack of hiring in Chicago, but that isn't reflective of what is typical from those schools)

Considering the way the legal hiring market has been permanently damaged circa 2008, a "normal" time for anyone on this website has not existed yet.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:16 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
nosaj123 wrote:

Considering the way the legal hiring market has been permanently damaged circa 2008, a "normal" time for anyone on this website has not existed yet.

This. We really have no idea.

Turtledove

Postby Turtledove » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:49 am

While I appreciate the post, I agree with Radlaw. These numbers have nothing to do with anything that will exist within any timeline that will be relevant to anyone reading this board. The pre-2009 numbers were inflated by the property bubble and will never exist again. Although the market for biglaw is relatively booming the growth of international outsourcing and domestic outsourcing of discovery and due diligence will insure that the good times never come back to biglaw. Although we can expect some moderate improvement over what we have right now the good times are never coming back and we should get used to it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”