University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

FSU VS Miami (Please read then vote)

FSU
28%
Miami
72%

Total votes: 43

Top14Hope

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby Top14Hope » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:36 am

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:
Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:Holy wall of text batman!

OP, instead of railing on you for your condescension for engineering majors and people who actually decided to do admissions research, and completely ignoring your miserably ignorance, i'm going to give you some perspective:

Option 1: go to Miami now, with 0 scholarship.

Option 2: wait a year, work for peanuts, retake ~2 more times if needed, increase your LSAT by 3 points, go to Miami a year later with a 60-80k+ scholarship.

The reality is that by waiting a year, you're making your real wages + whatever scholarship money you earn through an increased LSAT score. Then when you factor in the amount less you'll pay in loans on that borrowed amount, you'd be making a crap-ton more money by waiting a year and retaking.

Also, keep holding your nose high bro, I heard it's a great for networking.

Thanks. But Miami gave me 24k a year, and you should read before you rant. FWIW you sound like the one keeping your nose high. In case you haven't been listening, I don't think I'm smart. I just work hard, and have been reinforced for doing well in school. I really believe everyone reading this can get a 4.0 and a 180. Who gets what is not based on anything but the factors surrounding our lives and how they have shaped us.

ah, sorry, I missed that part about the scholarship. I think you're living in a dream world if you think everyone can get a 180 and a 4.0. There is a level of innate intelligence and mental capacity required on the LSAT that some kids just don't have to come anywhere close to a 180. Not to mention that the LSAT is curved, so by definition the median will be around 150, and less than 3% of kids will break 170, so there's literally no way for that to be possible. Either way, enjoy Miami.

Oh, and how exactly do I sound like the stuck up one, just out of curiosity?

Lol. The curve is based off of the average person or college student, or whatever. The average person has not been pushed to improve their mental capacity in the way we have. If you did push them, they would eventually be at your amazing level. Believe it or not!

You guys just want to be right. I'm done talking.
Last edited by Top14Hope on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:37 am

Top14Hope wrote:
Lol

Ha, good response bro.

Top14Hope wrote:
Lol. The curve is based off of the average person or college student, or whatever. The average person has not been pushed to improve their mental capacity in the way we have. If you did push them, they would eventually be at your amazing level. Believe it or not!

Right, so then if everyone pushed themselves to an amazing level, the LSAC would simply set the curve so the average is still at 150. Fun talking to you though.
Last edited by Mickey Quicknumbers on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top14Hope

Postby Top14Hope » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:40 am

Top14Hope wrote:
Lol

Ha, good response bro.

I added, because I knew you wouldn't see your error. But just to be clear, 95% of the population can get a 180/4.0./ everyone with normal mental ability

I'm done talking now. Let's stop wasting each others time.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:45 am

I don't understand your strong aversion to retaking and waiting a year or "gasp" two to go to law school, when it would significantly improve your chances for success. Especially since, hey anyone who studies hard enough can get a 180. Please elaborate, I'm genuinely curious

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:47 am

Top14Hope wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:
Lol

Ha, good response bro.

I added, because I knew you wouldn't see your error. But just to be clear, 95% of the population can get a 180/4.0./ everyone with normal mental ability

Is it possible to be this naive? Let me guess - comm college for two years, transferred to FIU and got your high gpa in some bs major. Try saying "Anyone can get a 4.0 if you just BELIEVE AND WORK" to the electrical engineering majors at MIT.

Top14Hope

Postby Top14Hope » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:55 am

Top14Hope wrote:
Lol

Ha, good response bro.

Top14Hope wrote:

Right, so then if everyone pushed themselves to an amazing level, the LSAC would simply set the curve so the average is still at 150. Fun talking to you though.

The curve is set over a number of years. If everyone was in the same giant LSAT prep course that taught everyone taking the June LSAT the best way to do the LSAT, and made them believe they can keep improving, and gave them sufficient time to achieve that level, they all would. And you would not be able to set a curve if all of them (everyone who took the test that date/ was in the prep course) only missed 0 or 1 questions. There are those one in a million people that truly are outliers, and would be able to do significantly better, because of some difference in their makeup, but these people are 1 in a 100 million. Most of us here are equal in brain function and are differences performance wise are based off of training (and not because we are so smart we trained ourselves).

This time I'm actually done talking. Love you!

Top14Hope

Postby Top14Hope » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:09 am

Last edited by Top14Hope on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top14Hope

Postby Top14Hope » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:14 am

rman1201 wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:
Lol

Ha, good response bro.

Is it possible to be this naive? Let me guess - comm college for two years, transferred to FIU and got your high gpa in some bs major. Try saying "Anyone can get a 4.0 if you just BELIEVE AND WORK" to the electrical engineering majors at MIT.

Also, I know an engineering major with 3.9+(4th year). He studies about 5-10 hours a day. He's actually a good friend of mine and where I got my study habits from, and partially why I achieved similar heights. I can assure you that he is bright, but like the rest of us, he has worked his ass off to keep that GPA, and it is not because of some innate ability. What it is from is the fact that he has been positively reinforced for doing well in school his whole life, and when you continue to get awarded, you continue to perform. Some people never get that first performance that makes them believe in themselves. And because society has such a wide spread beief of people being better than one another, people by into it, and live it out.

What makes this story even more ironic is that my engineering major friend took the same LSAT as me and got two points lower! I shit you not! I did two points better than him because I worked that much harder. He later retook and got a 165 (after studying an additional three months). You simply have no idea what you’re talking about. You are not special!

And you were a Psychology major with a 3.5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ATR

Postby ATR » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:25 am

Top14Hope wrote:You guys just want to be right. I'm done talking.

Top14Hope wrote:I'm done talking now. Let's stop wasting each others time.

Top14Hope wrote:This time I'm actually done talking. Love you!

Top14Hope wrote:.

Top14Hope wrote:Blah blah blah, huge wall of text full of irrelevance ... And you were a Psychology major with a 3.5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rad law and MQ are the resident experts on FL's legal job prospects, so I would heed their advice. Also, why are you pontificating on hard work overcoming any disparity in innate ability? What relevance does that have ITT?

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:26 am

wow....just....wow....

cmraider

Postby cmraider » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:31 am

Top14Hope wrote:Image

well-hello-there

Postby well-hello-there » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:47 am

op:

1. withdraw all apps now.
2. immediately begin studying for dec 2011 LSAT
3. score 175+ on dec 2011 LSAT
4. welcome to class of 2015 HYS CCN with a full ride!
5. profit!
6. fund a scholarship for poor white boys who didn't have the time to study enough for the LSAT

/unfairness

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:57 am

OP is not ready for law school, high LSAT score or not.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:27 pm

This thread is amazing.

1. Yeah, you should retake but won't.

2. You should go to UF if you have instate over both of those schools.

3. Miami at sticker is suicide.

4. People with your attitude often come to law school and get absolutely rocked their 1st semester. We have had several of these "I define gunner" cases who are quite humble after grades came out all of a sudden.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:41 pm

Top14Hope wrote:
And you were a Psychology major with a 3.5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah and my major gpa was 3.8. It was a very easy major and anyone probably can get a 4.0 in that major as long as they dont accidentally take behavioral neuroscience instead of psych physiology like I did.

I started off an Astronomy major and pre-med. Thats where the 'low' 3.5 is coming from. Many law applicants have done similar things.

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:57 pm

If you will succeed wherever you go, why not go to FIU or Nova and save yourself some money. Better yet, open up your own school so you can teach us all how to be as great as you! (Unfortunately the name "Tool Academy" has been copyrighted by VH1.)

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:02 pm

rbarcelo9 wrote:If you will succeed wherever you go, why not go to FIU or Nova and save yourself some money. Better yet, open up your own school so you can teach us all how to be as great as you! (Unfortunately the name "Tool Academy" has been copyrighted by VH1.)

oh my lord.... slaughtered.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:05 pm

I refuse to vote for either option. The OP should not go to law school.

emmbar53

Postby emmbar53 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:28 pm

dr123 wrote:I don't understand your strong aversion to retaking and waiting a year or "gasp" two to go to law school, when it would significantly improve your chances for success. Especially since, hey anyone who studies hard enough can get a 180. Please elaborate, I'm genuinely curious

This should really be highlighted.

OP, if anyone can score a 180, then how could you not take a year off , take the LSAT again, score that easy 180, and go to Yale?

---

rbarcelo9 wrote:If you will succeed wherever you go, why not go to FIU or Nova and save yourself some money. Better yet, open up your own school so you can teach us all how to be as great as you! (Unfortunately the name "Tool Academy" has been copyrighted by VH1.)

How about TTTool Academy?

rbarcelo9

Postby rbarcelo9 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:36 pm

It would be a crime for an institution of higher learning, such as the one T14Hope would open up, to have misspelling of words. TTTool Academy would be unacceptable. It is clear that the founder of this institution has strived for greatness in every aspect of life (except the LSAT, and so help you if you mention the LSAT at this newly found elite institution that is not yet named), thus as shall his institution. Alright I'm getting carried away. But I will be actively thinking of a name for this Mecca of Academia, that I will one day apply to in hopes of being enlightened.

mez06

Postby mez06 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:39 pm

Top14Hope wrote:
Sandro wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:I know I should have retaken, but I refuse to take a year off, and don’t want to work at some BS job. So please don’t say that.

Just as long as you admit that you are making a bad decision that will probably end up costing you a bunch of money, whew.

When you are in 20K+ in debt from undergrad, have a mom that's disabled, family full of drug addicts, and not a dollar to your name. Law school sounds like a good plan. Way better than taking a year off to work for peanuts. Especially since these two options are not going to cost "a bunch of money" compared to T20 schools that would charge me sticker. Plus, I will graduate high in my class(better job prospects), because like I said, half the people at these two schools are slackers. No offense.

You're an idiot. Enjoy the bottom of your class.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:42 pm

This guy is likely the future poster child for gunner/douche bag-pre-Fall 1L-grades --> quiet-ashamed-douche bag-post-1L-Fall grades.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:57 pm

"Yea you, you with the 3.45 gpa! What a slacker!! What were you doing in undergrad ?? Should have been studying all the time for a 3.8 GPA like me - a true academic warrior! No time for the LSAT, I MUST go to law school next year!!!"

"I got a 170 on the LSAT and got into T14"

*OP explodes*

The funny thing is the guy's username is T14hope yet he instantly rules out the option which would give him T14hope hahaha.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:31 pm

This thread is a few memes away from having Barry v Nova potential.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:34 pm

rman1201 wrote:This thread is a few memes away from having Barry v Nova potential.

Barry v. Nova went on for like 30 pages first

OP hasn't responded in a while so it's probably best for this thread to die unless he revives it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”