University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

FSU VS Miami (Please read then vote)

FSU
12
28%
Miami
31
72%
 
Total votes: 43

Top14Hope
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby Top14Hope » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:45 pm

GPA = 3.8+
LSAT = 160+1, 2, or 3
I know I should have retaken, but I refuse to take a year off, and don’t want to work at some BS job. So please don’t say that.

UM is ranked 60 (last year 71)

FSU is ranked 54 (last year 52)

I have lived in Florida my whole life. I will most likely live and work in South Florida after law school. FSU hasn't given me any money yet, so as it stands they are about equal in cost thanks to UM's 24k per year (UM said 80%+ would have the grades to keep the scholarship, I won't lose it, or at least let's pretend) Especially since half the people I see getting in have 3.4’s 3.2’s, etc. I mean no offense, but anyone with that GPA is most likely a huge slacker, and has no chance to compete with me. I define gunner.

I have personally spoken with a FSU Law professor (a really well known/good one) who literally had nothing but bad things to say about almost everything at the law school. Basically, it is a shit hole. I know most of you are thinking, "So then don't go!" But please don't say that, because it won't help. The way I see it, both of these schools really suck, but I am the type of person that will succeed no matter where I go (I know this sounds dumb, but if you knew me, you would agree).

As far as living the good life goes... UM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>UF>>FSU. (in my eyes)

Or am I wrong? Does anyone seriously think FSU is in any way significantly better that UM? I don’t want Gov, at least not for ten years. I see myself working for a firm with 5-25 people in it. Doing God knows what.

I have other options but need to get this FSU VS UM decision done first, before I can compare it to other things I'm considering (UC Hastings). Also, this Florida dispute could change if UF lets me in (but it’s been months, and I’m on hold).

Thank you!

P.S. Don’t take the FSU/UM put downs personally. I’m not saying they are bad schools, just bad compared to other places.
Last edited by Top14Hope on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
boilerup89
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby boilerup89 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:57 pm

If you are in-state I'd probably take FSU. Granted this situation probably merits a visit to both. I though about applying to FSU but I dislike the panhandle and I was told gaining residency was hard (even though I've lived 90% of my life in FL)

The job prospects out of FL in general worry me too. I am however visiting UM soon. I know alums and have the 24k/year as well.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby Sandro » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:19 pm

Top14Hope wrote:I know I should have retaken, but I refuse to take a year off, and don’t want to work at some BS job. So please don’t say that.


Just as long as you admit that you are making a bad decision that will probably end up costing you a bunch of money, whew.

Top14Hope
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby Top14Hope » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Sandro wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:I know I should have retaken, but I refuse to take a year off, and don’t want to work at some BS job. So please don’t say that.


Just as long as you admit that you are making a bad decision that will probably end up costing you a bunch of money, whew.


When you are in 20K+ in debt from undergrad, have a mom that's disabled, family full of drug addicts, and not a dollar to your name. Law school sounds like a good plan. Way better than taking a year off to work for peanuts. Especially since these two options are not going to cost "a bunch of money" compared to T20 schools that would charge me sticker. Plus, I will graduate high in my class(better job prospects), because like I said, half the people at these two schools are slackers. No offense.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby Sandro » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:50 pm

Top14Hope wrote:
Sandro wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:I know I should have retaken, but I refuse to take a year off, and don’t want to work at some BS job. So please don’t say that.


Just as long as you admit that you are making a bad decision that will probably end up costing you a bunch of money, whew.


When you are in 20K+ in debt from undergrad, have a mom that's disabled, family full of drug addicts, and not a dollar to your name. Law school sounds like a good plan. Way better than taking a year off to work for peanuts. Especially since these two options are not going to cost "a bunch of money" compared to T20 schools that would charge me sticker. Plus, I will graduate high in my class(better job prospects), because like I said, half the people at these two schools are slackers. No offense.



I'm going to ignore that statement and let someone else tear you apart for that.

If you retake and score a few points higher FSU will give you a scholarship. UF probably will too. Other T1/T25 schools become options. You aren't glued to FL because obviously you're considering UC Hastings. You reference "a bunch of money" - my year off earned me exactly that in the form of a 120k scholarship/acceptance at my top choice in state. People don't just yell retake all the time to have a better LSAT score - your outcomes significantly change as well.

Unless someone will literally shoot you in the face retaking should be on the table and not instantly eliminated because you dont want to work for "peanuts". Nobody HAS to go to law school, unless you are involved in some sort of sick "Saw" type movie plot... "Go to Miami with a scholarship w/stips OR YOU DIE!!!"

Top14Hope
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby Top14Hope » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:00 pm

Sandro wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:
Sandro wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:I know I should have retaken, but I refuse to take a year off, and don’t want to work at some BS job. So please don’t say that.


Just as long as you admit that you are making a bad decision that will probably end up costing you a bunch of money, whew.


When you are in 20K+ in debt from undergrad, have a mom that's disabled, family full of drug addicts, and not a dollar to your name. Law school sounds like a good plan. Way better than taking a year off to work for peanuts. Especially since these two options are not going to cost "a bunch of money" compared to T20 schools that would charge me sticker. Plus, I will graduate high in my class(better job prospects), because like I said, half the people at these two schools are slackers. No offense.



I'm going to ignore that statement and let someone else tear you apart for that.

If you retake and score a few points higher FSU will give you a scholarship. UF probably will too. Other T1/T25 schools become options. You aren't glued to FL because obviously you're considering UC Hastings. You reference "a bunch of money" - my year off earned me exactly that in the form of a 120k scholarship/acceptance at my top choice in state. People don't just yell retake all the time to have a better LSAT score - your outcomes significantly change as well.

Unless someone will literally shoot you in the face retaking should be on the table and not instantly eliminated because you dont want to work for "peanuts". Nobody HAS to go to law school, unless you are involved in some sort of sick "Saw" type movie plot... "Go to Miami with a scholarship w/stips OR YOU DIE!!!"


You don't think liberal arts/ any major, besides a few, with less than a 3.5 are slackers? I'm not saying that group is dumb, they're just lazy.

And I really hope you have something like a 3.2 /170 so I can have a good laugh.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Miami unless you're going for free is srsly not a good idea, esp. with $20k UG debt.

And lololololololololololololol at assuming half the people are slackers just because they got 3.5s.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby Sandro » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:07 pm

Something tells me Logical Reasoning wasn't this guy's strong point on the LSAT.

Top14Hope
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby Top14Hope » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:10 pm

rad law wrote:Miami unless you're going for free is srsly not a good idea, esp. with $20k UG debt.

And lololololololololololololol at assuming half the people are slackers just because they got 3.5s.


I said 3.5 or lower (not that a 3.49 is bad), It obviously has many factors, but you should be able to gather the main point, which is all I'm concerned about. You could have valid reasons for 3.2, but on average, most of them are slackers! (or at least they were in undergrad). Why I rant is because I hate how a 3.3 165 is a better applicant than a 3.9 162. If you don't agree with that idea (in general), you are an idiot.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby Sandro » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:13 pm

Top14Hope wrote:
rad law wrote:Miami unless you're going for free is srsly not a good idea, esp. with $20k UG debt.

And lololololololololololololol at assuming half the people are slackers just because they got 3.5s.


I said 3.5 or lower (not that a 3.49 is bad), It obviously has many factors, but you should be able to gather the main point, which is all I'm concerned about. You could have valid reasons for 3.2, but on average, most of them are slackers! (or at least they were in undergrad). Why I rant is because I hate how a 3.3 165 is a better applicant than a 3.9 162. If you don't agree with that idea (in general), you are an idiot.


The funny thing is you sound like an elaborate flame, the sad thing is you are not. 8)

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:16 pm

Top14Hope wrote:I said 3.5 or lower (not that a 3.49 is bad), It obviously has many factors, but you should be able to gather the main point, which is all I'm concerned about. You could have valid reasons for 3.2, but on average, most of them are slackers! (or at least they were in undergrad). Why I rant is because I hate how a 3.3 165 is a better applicant than a 3.9 162. If you don't agree with that idea (in general), you are an idiot.


Might want to take that stick out of your ass.

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby 2011Law » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:16 pm

I think its pretty simple. If you want to live in Miami or S. Florida, then UM. Anywhere else in Florida, UF is first best choice, FSU is second best choice.

Top14Hope
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby Top14Hope » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:17 pm

2011Law wrote:I think its pretty simple. If you want to live in Miami or S. Florida, then UM. Anywhere else in Florida, UF is first best choice, FSU is second best choice.


Thank you!

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby rebexness » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:18 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:21 pm

rebexness wrote:>3.5 are slackers?
Those 170s might say the same about the >165 score.


I think you are confusing > with <.

Top14Hope
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby Top14Hope » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:22 pm

rebexness wrote:>3.5 are slackers?
Those 170s might say the same about the >165 score.


Except for the fact that half of them paid for a 1,000 dollar class, and studied for about a half of a year. I was busy working and getting all A's. I didn't take a class, didn't have ample free time, and didn't have family or friends explaining to me how literally it wouldn't matter if I cured cancer, without the LSAT, you aren't getting in(99.9% of the time). Unless you're URM, which I'm not. Knowledge, money, connections, who you know, who you parents are, changes everything. You are all too close minded. Although, I'm sure you think it's me.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby rebexness » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby bk1 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:23 pm

Top14Hope wrote:Except for the fact that half of them paid for a 1,000 dollar class, and studied for about a half of a year. I was busy working and getting all A's. I didn't take a class, didn't have ample free time, and didn't have family or friends explaining to me how literally it wouldn't matter if I cured cancer, without the LSAT, you aren't getting in(99.9% of the time). Unless you're URM, which I'm not. Knowledge, money, connections, who you know, who you parents are, changes everything. You are all too close minded. Although, I'm sure you think it's me.


We're closed minded?

We're not the ones burning hundreds of thousand dollars because we are too impatient and prideful to retake the LSAT.

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby Informative » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:26 pm

I personally don't know why anyone would pick FSU over Miami, unless they wear jorts and shop at walmart.

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby 2011Law » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Informative wrote:I personally don't know why anyone would pick FSU over Miami, unless they wear jorts and shop at walmart.


All I'll say is that that place is addicting to a student on a budget.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby rman1201 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:44 pm

I was going to start quoting things to reply to with a combination of correct logic + snarky remarks but theres just too much. This thread is full of fail.

But I do want to at least tag this for next year when OP is looking for advice about being below median at UM.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby Sandro » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Top14Hope wrote:
rebexness wrote:>3.5 are slackers?
Those 170s might say the same about the >165 score.


Except for the fact that half of them paid for a 1,000 dollar class, and studied for about a half of a year. I was busy working and getting all A's. I didn't take a class, didn't have ample free time, and didn't have family or friends explaining to me how literally it wouldn't matter if I cured cancer, without the LSAT, you aren't getting in(99.9% of the time). Unless you're URM, which I'm not. Knowledge, money, connections, who you know, who you parents are, changes everything. You are all too close minded. Although, I'm sure you think it's me.



Look who missed the boat on that one, brainiac.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:48 pm

2011Law wrote:I think its pretty simple. If you want to live in Miami or S. Florida, then UM. Anywhere else in Florida, UF is first best choice, FSU is second best choice.


Nope, you'd be better of going to UF for Miami.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Top14Hope wrote:Why I rant is because I hate how a 3.3 165 is a better applicant than a 3.9 162. If you don't agree with that idea (in general), you are an idiot.


It doesn't matter if you're right. No one gives a rat's ass. It you want to apply, you gotta play the game.

User avatar
whuts4lunch
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: University of Miami VS FSU (please read, then vote)

Postby whuts4lunch » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:04 pm

Sandro wrote:
Top14Hope wrote:
rebexness wrote:>3.5 are slackers?
Those 170s might say the same about the >165 score.


Except for the fact that half of them paid for a 1,000 dollar class, and studied for about a half of a year. I was busy working and getting all A's. I didn't take a class, didn't have ample free time, and didn't have family or friends explaining to me how literally it wouldn't matter if I cured cancer, without the LSAT, you aren't getting in(99.9% of the time). Unless you're URM, which I'm not. Knowledge, money, connections, who you know, who you parents are, changes everything. You are all too close minded. Although, I'm sure you think it's me.



Look who missed the boat on that one, brainiac.


+1. ever thought that maybe you are the slacker, because you didn't want to put in the studying time for the LSAT? wouldn't a "gunner" (as you claim to be) put in that effort?




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media, OtterLaw and 2 guests