Chicago (sticker) vs. WUSTL (full scholarship)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
stratocophic

Re: Chicago (sticker) vs. WUSTL (full scholarship)

Postby stratocophic » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Muenchen wrote:
Informative wrote:Don't know if this is flame. Probably not. Surprised that you got a full ride at WUSTL but didn't get a full ride at better schools like GW, BC, BU, etc.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108528

Blatant anti-WUSTL trolling.
TBF he's often blatantly wrong and he loves every second of it

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:54 pm

No scholarships at T17 schools? lol wut

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:20 pm

rad law wrote:No scholarships at T17 schools? lol wut

Ha, I have scholarships to T17, or I assume I will, but these seem to be my top choices.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:42 pm

Personally, I'd take the full ride because I'd rather have a higher floor than a higher ceiling.

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:33 pm

I totally agree with those that question how much better one will do at a lower-ranked school. I mean yes you might get a little bit of a bump at WUSTL over Chicago, but I don't think that you would get enough of one to off-set the drastically different career opportunities at both schools (particularly for your interests). At WUSTL I would imagine you would have to be somewhere in the top 10% (probably closer to the top 5%) in order to get a clerkship. No matter where you go, top 5% is hard to come by (and WUSTL also attracts overqualified candidates with huge scholarships, so the top 5% of the class is still going to be an intimidating bunch). Chicago the bar is a bit lower and the bar for big law positions is a lot lower. I personally would take Chicago. Yes, the 180K at WUSTL is hard to turn down, but I'd rather not risk sacrificing the career I want for 180K.

damage-inc

Postby damage-inc » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:48 pm

In all respect to the veterans of this board, I get a bit irked at the anti-WUSTL sentiment that I see here

I have seen and understand the data. Yes BigLaw and Clerkship placement is low, but I doubt that any 2 law students live exactly the same experiences while in school. Personal desire and ambition can go a long way too, and if someone works hard enough then they can turn a dream into reality.

I would see the 120k scholarship from WUSTL as a wonderful opportunity to go to law school with minimal stress and maximum chance to experiment. I would do something that satisfies me and I wouldnt have massive debt haunting me at every stage of my life. And like I said, it comes down to personal desire, and I know how hard work and tons of outreach can take you to many places. Those would include biglaw, clerkships and everything else.

To each his own, and everyone on this thread is entitled to their opinion. I am not trying to debate job placement numbers with anyone, but I really feel that the original poster should reflect on him/herself and see if they have the passion to accomplish what they desire. If they truly do, then he/she might be better off going to WUSTL and studying without the ax of debt over his/her neck at all times

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:25 pm

ITT: Mostly bad advice from people with <100 posts. Sigh.

/thread

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:27 pm

Muenchen wrote:-Serious interest in clerkships and somewhat in academia, and yes I am aware of Chicago's far superior placement
-Biglaw (in the Midwest e.g. Chicago) is the second preference

i think i probably have less than 100 posts

i think i would definitely choose chicago in your position in light of these two points

nm i have 400+ lol wut

Informative

Postby Informative » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:54 am

http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/2006/ ... ement.html
That is old data, but I guess the relative ratios will probably stay constant.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:02 am

Informative wrote:http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/2006/09/vualt-25-placement.html
That is old data, but I guess the relative ratios will probably stay constant.

That data is way too old (read: worthless).

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:16 am

I'm not going to tell you which school is better for you; only you can decide that. But keep in mind that law students don't conceptualize $200K in debt very well. It feels really good to not have that hanging over you.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:45 am

sundevil77 wrote:I'm not going to tell you which school is better for you; only you can decide that. But keep in mind that law students don't conceptualize $200K in debt very well. It feels really good to not have that hanging over you.

Yah, but at Chicago, he has a 70% chance of paying it off with biglaw (which he wants) and then actually has a shot at the career he wants with clerking + Academia.

ITE, with wash U, he can't even have the career he wants more than likely so why bother going to law school in the first place.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:51 am

Veyron wrote:
sundevil77 wrote:I'm not going to tell you which school is better for you; only you can decide that. But keep in mind that law students don't conceptualize $200K in debt very well. It feels really good to not have that hanging over you.

Yah, but at Chicago, he has a 70% chance of paying it off with biglaw (which he wants) and then actually has a shot at the career he wants with clerking + Academia.

ITE, with wash U, he can't even have the career he wants more than likely so why bother going to law school in the first place.

70% is way over what it actually is ITE, though I agree that it will probably hit 70% once our class is getting hired.

That said, 30% chance is a pretty big chance of having a huge burden without a way to pay it off quickly.

And of course, most people who get Biglaw still wouldn't be able to pay off all 200k of their debt before they get out of it.

I do think that given his priorities Chicago is the best bet though.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:55 am

I'd do Chicago. The opportunities you get coming out of that school are just worth it, especially if you decide to go into academia.

philosophizationist

Postby philosophizationist » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:58 am

I'm in a very similar boat. NMS at University of Oklahoma coming out debt free and accepted at Chicago (and NYU) along with full ride at WUSTL. We could be classmates.

Have you looked at the culture at Chicago law much? What did you think about it? Recognizing the degree to which you're attracted to that culture should help.

adude

Postby adude » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:58 am

Weighs in favor of UChi:
"-Serious interest in clerkships and somewhat in academia, and yes I am aware of Chicago's far superior placement
-Biglaw (in the Midwest e.g. Chicago) is the second preference
-No undergrad debt"

Weighs in favor of WUSTL:

"-Reasonably debt-averse though not that hung up on it
-St. Louis native with no serious desire to move to either coast
-Have very serious desire to make Law Review and some other activities based on relative rank to my class
-Coming straight out of undergrad, no significant savings of any use to pay for school
-No outside (read parental) contributions available"

The fact that several of your factors mentioned $$$ makes me think that you should go for WUSTL. Still, if your dreams are academia, you know what to do.

Jackson Pollock

Postby Jackson Pollock » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:43 am

Muenchen wrote:ITT: Mostly bad advice from people with <100 posts. Sigh.

/thread

Your personality is perfect for Chicago.

/thread

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:35 am

Chicago obv.

Make a Poll - clearer results that way.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:59 am

Jackson Pollock wrote:
Muenchen wrote:ITT: Mostly bad advice from people with <100 posts. Sigh.

/thread

Your personality is perfect for Chicago.

/thread

I was thinking the same thing the guy seems like a jerk.

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:06 am

OP, just wondering...IRL, do you think/do others think your personality aligns with Sheldon Cooper?

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:30 pm

jeremysen wrote:OP, just wondering...IRL, do you think/do others think your personality aligns with Sheldon Cooper?

Not meant to be jerky or anything, just noting the generally uninsightful comments. But I mean, this is pretty standard for threads in this forum, so I should have expected it.

Jeremy, one of the reasons I didn't make a poll is that I find that people tend to just pop in and choose the highest ranked school without saying anything, so I didn't think it would be very useful. And I can only assume you are asking about Sheldon to ascertain if I see if I would fit in with the aspie reputation of Chicago. The answer is: kind of.

cbp3443

Postby cbp3443 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm not usually a huge poster on things like this, but sounds like we're in close to the same boat OP. Very similar stats, StL area native, same offer from Wustl, although still waiting on a decision from Chicago/Columbia.

For what it's worth, I think I'm heading to Wustl, but I know I want to practice here. But if I was in your position, and knew I wanted academic opportunities, I'd probably go to Chicago. Actually, if I wsn't limited by some personal life stuff in STL, i'd be hoping for Chicago.

Just out of curiousity...is your undergrad also in Missouri? wondering if we go to the same school...

Attorney

Postby Attorney » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:46 pm

If you just wanted to practice law in Chicago or St. Louis and wouldn't be offended if it is not Big Law, you'd be well advised to go with WUStL. But that's not what you want. You are looking for some of the most difficult opportunities to obtain: top federal clerkships and possibly academia. In which case, U of Chicago is perhaps the best place in the world to be (outside of New Haven).

U-Chicago aligns perfectly with your career goals, and that's really all you need to know.

$120k in additional debt is not the end of the world really... although if you need help conceptualizing, go look at some $380k condos in Chicago and then some $500k condos in Chicago. Are you willing to live less lavishly to do what you really want to do? If you are not, just die now. :mrgreen:

Return to “Choosing a Law School”