choosing your LS based on where the love of your life..

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
northwood

Re: choosing your LS based on where the love of your life..

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:28 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
northwood wrote:
mpj_3050 wrote:A teaching job could be pretty hard to find right now, keep that in mind. And what if she hates it and quits?

she would end up being like 1/3 of all teachers

lol northwood! :)

its the truth. According to the New york state union of teachers 1/3 of all teachers leave the field within 5 years of their first teaching position. the main reason is teacher burnout.
this stat was taken from the NYSUT pamphlet that i got when i joined the union.

jacketman03

Postby jacketman03 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:32 pm

northwood wrote:its the truth. According to the New york state union of teachers 1/3 of all teachers leave the field within 5 years of their first teaching position. the main reason is teacher burnout.
this stat was taken from the NYSUT pamphlet that i got when i joined the union.

That sounds about par for the course here in Texas, too. Just confirmed with the wife.

maf70

Postby maf70 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:34 pm

relationships are severely tested in law school. i know this from personal experience as well as by what ive seen happen to others. unless youre willing to put a ring on it now, youre making a huge mistake following her across the country.

also. why isnt she following you to wherever you go to law school? if shes not willing to follow you, you sir are an idiot for even considering this.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:39 pm

you should wait to see if she even finds a teaching job first.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:44 pm

maf70 wrote:relationships are severely tested in law school. i know this from personal experience as well as by what ive seen happen to others. unless youre willing to put a ring on it now, youre making a huge mistake following her across the country.

also. why isnt she following you to wherever you go to law school? if shes not willing to follow you, you sir are an idiot for even considering this.

+1, you should be going to school at the best one you can get into (to an extent). She should be following you. What's wrong with you?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:47 pm

this scenario should be the opposite way around she should be looking for teaching jobs based on where you got into law school. AND you should have an honest talk about doing distance. If you can't do distance you will not be marrying this person.

mt1042

Postby mt1042 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:52 pm

learntolift wrote:teaches elementary school. go

Sometimes you need to do what is best for your family or future family in your case. Though, I would make sure you are sure about where you two are at.

Since she's planning on being in the northeast you do have a lot of options. It would be different if she really wanted to teach in Idaho. :wink:

kublaikahn

Postby kublaikahn » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:07 am

learntolift wrote:well we are both seniors right now in college so she is looking for jobs, but most likely getting a job in the northeast area, so i would go to probably fordham

no not based on looks lol, its all genuine and real

Sounds like you are getting scared that she is about to scoot down the highway so you feel a little clingy and needy right now. If she does go to NYC, and you havent gotten back on your game, you will be like a minnow in a shark tank. Especially if she is as hot as it seems based on your current panic attack.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:37 am

kublaikahn wrote:
learntolift wrote:well we are both seniors right now in college so she is looking for jobs, but most likely getting a job in the northeast area, so i would go to probably fordham

no not based on looks lol, its all genuine and real

Sounds like you are getting scared that she is about to scoot down the highway so you feel a little clingy and needy right now. If she does go to NYC, and you havent gotten back on your game, you will be like a minnow in a shark tank. Especially if she is as hot as it seems based on your current panic attack.

Great post.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:39 am

op- you need to have a heart to heart serious conversation with your girlfriend about this. only you 2 can decide what is best for your personal situtation

Zabini

Postby Zabini » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:03 am

In a similar spot to OP. Me and my gf (been together 4+ years) are both seniors, she's in the late stages of the TFA process. The good thing is she's willing to follow me so that's not an issue, but we're both californians and want to live/work there once I'm out of school. The question for us is what will we do if I wind up at an east coast school (haven't heard back anywhere yet, east coast targets are MVP duke gulc vandy, east coast reaches are HY, columbia)...will I have to SA in SF/LA if I want to work there when i graduate? Neither of us are excited about the idea of me being away for 3-4 months, but if I don't get into Boalt or do get into HY will I have to do that to work back west after school?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:08 am

Hey anyone on here have any ideas of how likely it is for 1Ls to end serious relationships from before law school. I hear it is pretty high but is that mostly to stop people from letting that alter their decision or because it is a large portion?

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:10 am

you should be able to handle 3 months apart. video chatting on skype makes distance a lot easier than it used to be and it will probably be better for you to be able to kick it with the boys during your sa instead of having to go home to your so

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:13 am

1l has to be your life and some people can't handle that you won't be available to them all the time especially if they aren't doing something as time consuming. i think it is usually the nature of 1l that kills pre-law school relationships. that and many relationships from u-grad that wouldn't have lasted anyways crack under any kind of pressure.

kruiz88

Postby kruiz88 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:17 am

Last edited by kruiz88 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:22 am

I think a lot of people greatly exaggerate how hard it is to stay together through 1L...though I guess it is different if you're long distance.

fuzzypeach

Postby fuzzypeach » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:07 pm

If it is "real" and "serious" you will be able to be apart. In a way, if you can make it being apart for that time and still want to get married afterwards, you will have a pretty good idea it is legit. If not, you have not made choices that might have a negative impact on your life. Love is totally crazy and changes all the time. Until you are "grown" and in a job and really ready to settle down and get married you should not make any significant decisions based on anyone else. TRUST ME.

Although, if I think about my experience and what you are thinking right now, unless you are 100 times more reasonable than me, you really don't care what anyone else thinks because they are not in the relationship and in no way can possibly understand how great it is.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”