GULC versus GW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bk1

Re: GULC versus GW

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:28 pm

nealric wrote:
Yes, being a school in DC basically shits on your chances to get biglaw compared to similar schools because DC is an infinitely tough mark.

Or you could just interview with one of the hundreds of NY offices that interview at GULC :roll:

Would this be a cure to performing better at OCI than GULC seems to normally do? If GULC students all bid NYC instead of DC would GULC's placement look that different?

I'm asking because I am genuinely curious.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:49 pm

bk1 wrote:
nealric wrote:
Yes, being a school in DC basically shits on your chances to get biglaw compared to similar schools because DC is an infinitely tough mark.

Or you could just interview with one of the hundreds of NY offices that interview at GULC :roll:

Would this be a cure to performing better at OCI than GULC seems to normally do? If GULC students all bid NYC instead of DC would GULC's placement look that different?

I'm curious about this too. I hear a lot of people talk about going to GULC because they want to be in DC, but does that usually end up significantly determining where they look for jobs?

bender18

Postby bender18 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:06 pm

Last edited by bender18 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:19 pm

I got a $105K scholly at GW and got accepted at gulc, but no money. But, my parents are paying for school. Which school should I pick? Are you guys just picking the highest ranked school you get into? Emory also accepted me with a 90K scholly. Or should I start researching to see which school has the best clinics, etc.
REally don't know how to select a school.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Last edited by bender18 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:54 pm

It's possible. The people who bit NYC were usually in much better shape than the DC or bust people. I will say that quite a few of the DC or bust types ended up in government jobs instead.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:50 pm

nealric wrote:

It's possible. The people who bit NYC were usually in much better shape than the DC or bust people. I will say that quite a few of the DC or bust types ended up in government jobs instead.

So would the people with the government jobs be able to utilize Georgetown's LRAP down the line?

dood

Postby dood » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:04 pm

all of the analysis in this thread is confusing. if u'r top 15% at either GW or GULC, u'r safe for big law, and median at either is fucked. so why not take the $$$ for the virtually the same odds? plus, in theory, the people at GW are 2-3 LSAT pts stupider than GULC, so might be easier for u to get top 15% at GW.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:35 pm

Last edited by bender18 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:02 pm

all of the analysis in this thread is confusing. if u'r top 15% at either GW or GULC, u'r safe for big law, and median at either is fucked. so why not take the $$$ for the virtually the same odds?

But it's nowhere close to the same odds. GULC placed almost twice the percentage of its class in biglaw. Median at GULC still has a shot at biglaw.

plus, in theory, the people at GW are 2-3 LSAT pts stupider than GULC, so might be easier for u to get top 15% at GW.

You really think the ability to answer 3 more questions on the LSAT is going to make a drastic difference in one's ability to succeed at the school?

bender18

Postby bender18 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Last edited by bender18 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nealric

Postby nealric » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:32 pm

And let's say you don't place into biglaw when you're going to GULC at near sticker... is LRAP generally a reliable option? Or are you pretty much on your own?

LRAP or IBR are generally pretty reliable.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:43 pm

masterthearts wrote:I got a $105K scholly at GW and got accepted at gulc, but no money. But, my parents are paying for school. Which school should I pick? Are you guys just picking the highest ranked school you get into? Emory also accepted me with a 90K scholly. Or should I start researching to see which school has the best clinics, etc.
REally don't know how to select a school.

are you seriously asking us this? maybe you should talk to your parents

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:45 pm

bk, i thought you EDed at gulc?

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:22 pm

hipstermafia wrote:bk, i thought you EDed at gulc?
Last edited by masterthearts on Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:42 pm

masterthearts wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:bk1, i thought you EDed at gulc?

Nope, applied RD to GULC. Applied 11/1 and snail mail acceptance letter was postmarked 11/29. I ED'd to uva and was waitlisted there.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Yes, and they let me out of it. (Because they waitlisted me.) :P

I'm actually thankful of that and realized it was stupid of me to ED GULC when I had 105k at GW.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:12 pm

bk1 wrote:

Yes, and they let me out of it. (Because they waitlisted me.) :P

I'm actually thankful of that and realized it was stupid of me to ED GULC when I had 105k at GW.

You really think GW with the scholly is the hands-down better choice when compared to GULC with some potential substantial need-based aid?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:18 pm

bender18 wrote:You really think GW with the scholly is the hands-down better choice when compared to GULC with some potential substantial need-based aid?

Hands down? Not hands down better but probably better. It depends on the amount of need aid.

At GW I could keep my debt (pre-interest) to no more than $100k. With a 50k-ish/year salary, it would be feasible to pay that off in 10 years. More debt than that and only biglaw/LRAP can really pay it down in 10 years (and debt at GULC for me would have been sticker, and for someone with need aid I'd imagine it would still be around $150k). I'm not even sure whether GULC offers that much need aid.

That being said, the reason I ED'ed GULC was because I really would like to work in CA or even NYC over DC (but would be fine with DC). I feel now that $100k debt at GW is manageable (though still a pretty crappy deal), though of course I could merely be rationalizing my options.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:28 pm

bk1 wrote:
bender18 wrote:You really think GW with the scholly is the hands-down better choice when compared to GULC with some potential substantial need-based aid?

Hands down? Not hands down better but probably better. It depends on the amount of need aid.

At GW I could keep my debt (pre-interest) to no more than $100k. With a 50k-ish/year salary, it would be feasible to pay that off in 10 years. More debt than that and only biglaw/LRAP can really pay it down in 10 years (and debt at GULC for me would have been sticker, and for someone with need aid I'd imagine it would still be around $150k). I'm not even sure whether GULC offers that much need aid.

That being said, the reason I ED'ed GULC was because I really would like to work in CA or even NYC over DC (but would be fine with DC). I feel now that $100k debt at GW is manageable (though still a pretty crappy deal), though of course I could merely be rationalizing my options.

Have you sent or are you going to send GULC a loci?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Marionberry wrote:Have you sent or are you going to send GULC a loci?

Have not sent. I am planning on sending one.

The reason I would take GULC/Cornell/NU (the T14's I still have a shot at) over GW with 105k would be a better shot at NYC/CA. I'm not sure it's worth it but I think at this point I'd take NU at sticker, the others I would hesitate and probably do GW.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:40 pm

That sounds like a prudent plan. Being a splitter is so weird, I'm actually really glad I ED'd to GULC because I don't know if I would have gotten much money at any of the other places I applied. Apparently I forgot to withdraw my app from Hastings when I got accepted to GULC, and they sent me a waitlist offer on Thursday. :oops:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:42 pm

Marionberry wrote:That sounds like a prudent plan. Being a splitter is so weird, I'm actually really glad I ED'd to GULC because I don't know if I would have gotten much money at any of the other places I applied. Apparently I forgot to withdraw my app from Hastings when I got accepted to GULC, and they sent me a waitlist offer on Thursday. :oops:

Well I'm pretty much lucky that I am URM because I would probably be looking at GW at sticker if I wasn't. I think if I didn't get the half CoA at GW I would be reapplying to NU ED next cycle.

Haha I could definitely see myself forgetting to withdraw all my apps as well. :P

PomasThynchon

Postby PomasThynchon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:56 pm

bk1 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Have you sent or are you going to send GULC a loci?

Have not sent. I am planning on sending one.

The reason I would take GULC/Cornell/NU (the T14's I still have a shot at) over GW with 105k would be a better shot at NYC/CA. I'm not sure it's worth it but I think at this point I'd take NU at sticker, the others I would hesitate and probably do GW.

I agree with this. I'm not sure if I would take GULC/USC/UCLA/Vanderbilt over GW 106k, but I would strongly consider Cornell and almost certainly take Michigan.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:00 pm

^not-so-subtle anti-GULC trolling

Return to “Choosing a Law School”