UVA still worth Sticker? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Is UVa worth Sticker?

Yes, T10 schools are almost always worth it in the long run
32%
Yes, for most it is a good choice
27%
Yes if you want Biglaw
20%
Yes if you want LRAP
4%
No, too big a risk with that much debt
13%
No, poor choice that rarely works out
1%
No, always a bad call
3%

Total votes: 142

r6_philly

Diamond

Re: UVA still worth Sticker?

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:39 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Snape wrote: Not really great advice. If your potential is 75K with ceiling at 100K and you know you want Biglaw then you should go right away. There is no reason to work a few more years just because someone with bad advice said too on a website.
BigLaw is not a lifetime gravy train. Most people are in it for 3-4 years and go take something much lower-paying.
I know this to be valid, but what percentage? I have only met younger associates, and many put the time horizon at 3-5 years. Is there reliable (or not reliable for that matter) data on salary distribution for biglaw-bound grads over time?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:
RVP11 wrote:
Snape wrote: Not really great advice. If your potential is 75K with ceiling at 100K and you know you want Biglaw then you should go right away. There is no reason to work a few more years just because someone with bad advice said too on a website.
BigLaw is not a lifetime gravy train. Most people are in it for 3-4 years and go take something much lower-paying.
I know this to be valid, but what percentage? I have only met younger associates, and many put the time horizon at 3-5 years. Is there reliable (or not reliable for that matter) data on salary distribution for biglaw-bound grads over time?
I would bet that, after 5 years, only about 1/3 of the class will still be in BigLaw.

FWIW, some prof at UVA did a study on the UVA Class of 1990 and found that the median household income was $250k, and 10% of the class had household income greater than or equal to $1m.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:51 pm

RVP11 wrote:
I would bet that, after 5 years, only about 1/3 of the class will still be in BigLaw.

FWIW, some prof at UVA did a study on the UVA Class of 1990 and found that the median household income was $250k, and 10% of the class had household income greater than or equal to $1m.
Sign me up!

Career services offices at T14 should trumpet this sort of data. I find it for our UG and grad divisions, but not law school.

Frankie55

Bronze

Post by Frankie55 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:52 pm

This forum is strange about this question. When someone posed the question the other day in general as to which schools were worth sticker, it was an almost resounding HYS-only. But when someone posts an individual thread about say NYU or UVa, people seem to go back on that equally as resoundingly.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:55 pm

Frankie55 wrote:This forum is strange about this question. When someone posed the question the other day in general as to which schools were worth sticker, it was an almost resounding HYS-only. But when someone posts an individual thread about say NYU or UVa, people seem to go back on that equally as resoundingly.
HYS lack comparable alternatives. To say HYS is not worth it is akin to saying law career is not worth it. since we are all pre-law here ...

Midrange school choices need to be framed in context.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LLB2JD

Silver

Post by LLB2JD » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:57 pm

Frankie55 wrote:This forum is strange about this question. When someone posed the question the other day in general as to which schools were worth sticker, it was an almost resounding HYS-only. But when someone posts an individual thread about say NYU or UVa, people seem to go back on that equally as resoundingly.
You are right. I have seen where people on here would suggest that. But I'll say that it is generally OK to go to T14 schools at sticker.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:06 pm

Law Sauce wrote:
blink wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Depends on the alternatives, both in terms of LS, and outside of LS. If your earning potential is $25k/year and your next best option is U. of Richmond, it may well be worth it. If you are choosing between UVa sticker and Med school, maybe not.

Look at it as an opportunity cost evaluation.
I think that the OP is hoping people will do it for him/her lol
No I'm not. What I am trying to do is get a sense of tls' opinion on the value of the degree and the opportunities that it gives you. I have heard differing opinions. I'll make a true choose the best choice poll later if I need to, but now I am just trying to get a sense if a UVa degree is a good investment at sticker. Its an important question for a lot of people.
Thus:
Is UVa still worth sticker judging simply as a financial investment ITE? Not as opposed to getting a great business job, but if you want to go into a legal career, is UVa at sticker a good choice?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”