CU Boulder (out of state) v Lewis & Clark with $

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

CU Boulder or Lewis & Clark

CU Boulder
45%
Lewis & Clark
55%

Total votes: 33

sitara1

Re: CU Boulder (out of state) v Lewis & Clark with $

Postby sitara1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:45 pm

I was just trying to say that the total tuition is more like $95,000, not $63,000 -->making Willamette an expensive, not cheap, T3 option even with the $45,000 tuition discount.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:47 pm

orangefanta wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:I don't have any hard data to support this, but having lived in Oregon and Washington, I think that Lewis & Clark's job prospects are especially scary, even moreso than average ITE.

Bold, declarative statements with zero supporting evidence will get you far in law.

I love it when people say things like this, as if the standards for posting personal opinions on internet forums are the same as the standards for practicing law professionally. Well done.

tsutsik

Postby tsutsik » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:05 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
orangefanta wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:I don't have any hard data to support this, but having lived in Oregon and Washington, I think that Lewis & Clark's job prospects are especially scary, even moreso than average ITE.

Bold, declarative statements with zero supporting evidence will get you far in law.

I love it when people say things like this, as if the standards for posting personal opinions on internet forums are the same as the standards for practicing law professionally. Well done.

I'm not particularly interested in the question about standards of evidence. I am interested, though, in whether you have any evidence for the claim regarding Lewis and Clark. I'm not denying that you're right about L & C. But, because I'm considering attending, I'm interested in the claim and your reasons for making it.

orangefanta

Postby orangefanta » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:16 pm

Adjudicator wrote:I love it when people say things like this, as if the standards for posting personal opinions on internet forums are the same as the standards for practicing law professionally. Well done.

On the other hand, I love it when pre-law college students on the internet who haven't ever had a job or started law school or know what OCI is start blindly dispensing advice about job prospects for schools they've never been to, in a specialized job market they have zero experience with. Who are you to scare people off of a school? You're pulling things out of thin air.

By the way, you're not exactly being bright recommending people commit insurance fraud on a public forum, especially one for people who want to practice law.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:11 am

They're both sort of the same to me, so I would go w/ Lewis and Clark. They both have just one legal market where they each fight with one other comparable school. Boulder has to fight w/ DU for jobs in Denver (yes I realize Denver is lower ranked, but apparently employment prospects are pretty equal to those of Colorado), and L&C has to fight w/ UofO for jobs (same situation). I would just go L&C

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:01 am

tsutsik wrote:
lisjjen wrote:It's a shame Jen Darby isn't around, she has all kinds of insight on these things. People from L&C get hired, just not as much. The only difference between a school like that and a T18 is your likelihood to get your dream job at graduation and what happens if you don't. If you're committed to working your ass of though, you can make something happen with L&C and the campus couldn't be more beautiful.

Just to be clear, you're not suggesting that L & C has more trouble with placement than comparably ranked schools, right?

Good catch. No, I am not suggesting that L&C has disproportionate trouble with placement. In fact, it is the only school in Portland and the best school in the state. It's not like Portland is spilling over with Biglaw jobs, but there are other things, and if you get money, it's not that bad of an option if you know you want to work in law.

Also, the campus looks like the shield generator on the forest moon of Endor.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:21 am

orangefanta wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:I love it when people say things like this, as if the standards for posting personal opinions on internet forums are the same as the standards for practicing law professionally. Well done.

On the other hand, I love it when pre-law college students on the internet who haven't ever had a job or started law school or know what OCI is start blindly dispensing advice about job prospects for schools they've never been to, in a specialized job market they have zero experience with. Who are you to scare people off of a school? You're pulling things out of thin air.

By the way, you're not exactly being bright recommending people commit insurance fraud on a public forum, especially one for people who want to practice law.

:) I plan to invoke the famous "I was joking" defense.

Also, I don't know why everyone is attacking my earlier statement and demanding evidence, when I clearly stated at the beginning that I have no data and it was merely my subjective take. Feel free to disregard it or give it no weight. I never claimed that it held any weight.

I'm just saying that as a prospective law student who has lived in Oregon for several years and now lives in Washington, I would personally be afraid to go to Lewis & Clark.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:26 am

Well, phooey. You're right; it appears that I am incapable of simple multiplication. :oops:

Well, okay...$95K less $45K...fifty thousand for a T3 degree? Too much.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:22 am

In-state residency rates at Colorado are easily achievable.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”