UC Davis (sticker) vs retake

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Davis vs LSE/retake

Davis
17%
LSE/retake
83%

Total votes: 35

Chouchous

UC Davis (sticker) vs retake

Postby Chouchous » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:17 am

So here is my situation: the highest ranked schools I got into are UC Davis and Minnesota. I don't want to move to Minneapolis though and thus Davis is my only viable option.
Earlier today I got accepted into the 1 year LSE Msc program and I seriously consider attending in an effort to boost my chances of admission to a T14 next year. Attending the LSE would also give me the chance to retake the LSAT and possibly get a 168+. I do believe I can get 168 or higher, because I PTed above 170 consistently.
Would the LSE degree be a worthwhile investment in terms of legal jobs?
Last edited by Chouchous on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Moral_Midgetry

Re: UC Davis vs retake and reapply next year

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:20 am

Do the LSE. Get a 170+. CCNMVP.

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:59 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:Do the LSE. Get a 170+. CCNMVP.

thank you.
would appreciate more opinions on this.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:02 pm

Do the LSE. Re take, and figure out if you really want to go to law school. If you do- then you will be able to apply early in the cycle and run with it. Especially since you were pting in the 170 range. You should be able to go to a lot of good schools( if law school is still in your plans)

CaseClosed

Postby CaseClosed » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:03 pm

Chouchous wrote:So here is my situation: the highest ranked schools I got into are UC Davis and Minnesota. I don't want to move to Minneapolis though and thus Davis is my only viable option.
Earlier today I got accepted into the 1 year LSE Msc Economics program and I seriously consider attending in an effort to boost my chances of admission to a T14 next year. Attending the LSE would also give me the chance to retake the LSAT and possibly get a 168+. I do believe I can get 168 or higher, because I PTed above 170 consistently.
Would the LSE degree be a worthwhile investment in terms of legal jobs? I want to get into antitrust law or mergers/ acquisitions.

Depends if you want to wait a whole year for law school. Why not just go to Davis and transfer?

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:04 pm

CaseClosed wrote:
Chouchous wrote:So here is my situation: the highest ranked schools I got into are UC Davis and Minnesota. I don't want to move to Minneapolis though and thus Davis is my only viable option.
Earlier today I got accepted into the 1 year LSE Msc Economics program and I seriously consider attending in an effort to boost my chances of admission to a T14 next year. Attending the LSE would also give me the chance to retake the LSAT and possibly get a 168+. I do believe I can get 168 or higher, because I PTed above 170 consistently.
Would the LSE degree be a worthwhile investment in terms of legal jobs? I want to get into antitrust law or mergers/ acquisitions.

Depends if you want to wait a whole year for law school. Why not just go to Davis and transfer?

Well, how likely is it that I will get the chance to transfer? Also, I would pay sticker at Davis.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:13 pm

Chouchous wrote:
CaseClosed wrote:

Well, how likely is it that I will get the chance to transfer? Also, I would pay sticker at Davis.

Transferring is harder, more stressful, and less certain than retaking. If you PT'ed above 170 but the best you did was Davis at sticker, you can definitely improve. Retake all the way.

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:18 pm

If I decide against Davis, should I do the LSE or just find a job and focus on the LSAT?

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:21 pm

CaseClosed wrote:

This is horrible advice. Transferring is extremely difficult and anywhere you transfer to you will be paying sticker. Davis is already expensive and the risk of not making it to a t14 school is very dangerous with all that debt. LSE is a great soft and with a solid retake you'll be in much better position for next cycle. Retake, CCNMVP, make it rain.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Chouchous wrote:If I decide against Davis, should I do the LSE or just find a job and focus on the LSAT?

Depends on how much it is going to cost and if you think it will be worthwhile for your career. Ad coms have said that for people with a interest in economics LSE is a great soft so it may help you get from the lower t14 to CCNMVP with the right LSAT score.

I took a year off after undergrad and focused on my LSAT score and took some time to do some straight chillin'. Granted it is boring at times but you'll probably never have another chance to take an extended period of time off of anything until you retire.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:25 pm

Chouchous wrote:If I decide against Davis, should I do the LSE or just find a job and focus on the LSAT?

what do you want to do? If you are sure you want to go to law school get a job and focus on the lsat and apply for next cycle. If you want to go to LSE- then go. law school will be there for you if and when you want it. Do what you think is best for you. If you need to- take a piece of paper write down the pros and cons for each option, and read them over. THen sleep on it for a few days and see how you feel. Only you know what is best for you, and what you think you want to do.

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:26 pm

northwood wrote:

what do you want to do? If you are sure you want to go to law school get a job and focus on the lsat and apply for next cycle. If you want to go to LSE- then go. law school will be there for you if and when you want it. Do what you think is best for you. If you need to- take a piece of paper write down the pros and cons for each option, and read them over. THen sleep on it for a few days and see how you feel. Only you know what is best for you, and what you think you want to do.

Thanks...I plan on practicing law in an econ related area like antitrust or mergers/ acquisitions. Hence I thought that an Econ Master from the LSE may be a good soft.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:27 pm

Chouchous wrote:
northwood wrote:

Thanks...I plan on practicing law in an econ related area like antitrust or mergers/ acquisitions. Hence I thought that an Econ Master from the LSE may be a good soft.

it may be. contact an admissions office and see how they feel about it

hokie

Re: UC Davis (sticker) vs retake

Postby hokie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:32 pm

Just FYI, when given an option (particularly on a poll) to vote retake on TLS, retake will always win with an overwhelming majority (regardless of what the other option is).

Having said that, I voted to retake :wink:

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:10 pm

I am in a somewhat similar situation. As of right now, I am choosing between Hastings and Iowa, and really want to practice law in CA. What is your GPA? With a mediocre GPA, getting 3-4 points pump on the LSAT may not help you much. Also, are you interested in the master program? how much does it cost?

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:15 pm

if you want to practice in a certain state- you need to make sure you go to law school in that state

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:21 pm

northwood wrote:if you want to practice in a certain state- you need to make sure you go to law school in that state

I totally agree. I just don't know if I should give up Iowa's T30 for Hastings' T50.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:24 pm

if you want california- i seriously doubt that iowa will get you there. once you are out of the top 6 law schools are very regional.

tea_drinker

Postby tea_drinker » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:29 pm

Yeah, I am also waiting for Davis, so we will see what happen. OP: sorry to hijack your thread. but hope you can get some ideas from my posts.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:05 am

tea_drinker wrote:Yeah, I am also waiting for Davis, so we will see what happen. OP: sorry to hijack your thread. but hope you can get some ideas from my posts.

^you're not gonna get scholly at hastings either way and it's a legit option for SF. Don't see how retake could help you much more in Cali unless you got in the range to get into usc/ucla or even boalt.

OP, your situation is different imo. I would probably retake if i were, especially given the type of law you want to get into davis might not be the best option.

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:43 am

tea_drinker wrote:I am in a somewhat similar situation. As of right now, I am choosing between Hastings and Iowa, and really want to practice law in CA. What is your GPA? With a mediocre GPA, getting 3-4 points pump on the LSAT may not help you much. Also, are you interested in the master program? how much does it cost?

My gpa is at median for Michigan and Virginia and still above 25th percentile for most T14.

The MA costs 17,000 Pounds. So it is a big investment, yet nothing compared to law school. I'm still somewhat uncertain but leaning towards LSE after reading what everyone has said.

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:44 am

OP, your situation is different imo. I would probably retake if i were, especially given the type of law you want to get into davis might not be the best option.[/quote]

Which schools would be the best for the type of law I want to practice?

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:56 am

DO LSE! I did the General Course 1 year study abroad through the LSE and I can honestly say that was the best year of my life. Also, I really think it was a good "soft" factor pushing me over the top in many of my acceptances so far

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:06 am

man 17k!?!? is that with living expenses? i'd vote to do the lse thing and then retake but that seems like a whole lot of cash especially with the exchange rate going back up against our favor. Did you look into other UK schools? I know LSE is a big deal but I think most other schools are around 10k for a masters.

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:42 am

FlanAl wrote:man 17k!?!? is that with living expenses? i'd vote to do the lse thing and then retake but that seems like a whole lot of cash especially with the exchange rate going back up against our favor. Did you look into other UK schools? I know LSE is a big deal but I think most other schools are around 10k for a masters.

I was just confirmed for a scholarship which will bring the cost of attending down to 10,000. I guess that's comparable to the other british universities you were mentioning.
And no, the 17,000 was without COL

Return to “Choosing a Law School”