BC or GW

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

BC or GW

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:39 pm

I'm in a complicated situation, so hear me out.

I'm getting married in 3.5 months, and my fiance is a grad student at Harvard. He's not an American, so for him to get his greencard so he can get a job after he graduates in 2012, we need to be living together (I now live in DC). Until we can do that, he cannot leave the country (long story). I've been accepted at BC, which would allow us to live together, him to be able to travel back to his home country, and him getting a greencard in time for a job. However, I've been accepted at GW, which offers more opportunities for jobs afterwards (I really want to work in government). In light of this conundrum, what would you recommend? Is BC bad? I cannot defer for a year, as I'm already 26.

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: BC or GW

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:44 pm

No, BC isn't bad. The opportunities from BC are even slightly better than from GW in general. However if you have your heart set on Gov't GW places a little better in that area due to the DC location and the abundance of Gov't agencies. Given your situation however, BC seems like the obvious choice.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: BC or GW

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:49 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:I cannot defer for a year, as I'm already 26.


?

2011Law
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Re: BC or GW

Postby 2011Law » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:55 pm

rman1201 wrote:No, BC isn't bad. The opportunities from BC are even slightly better than from GW in general. However if you have your heart set on Gov't GW places a little better in that area due to the DC location and the abundance of Gov't agencies. Given your situation however, BC seems like the obvious choice.


+1

fatduck wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote:I cannot defer for a year, as I'm already 26.


?


+1


Also, is BU not even on your radar for some reason?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: BC or GW

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:05 pm

okay I re-read the OP, and I'm really confused. is/was your fiance an illegal immigrant? or are you just concerned that without co-habitation his application for PRS will take longer to process (probably true)? but if that's the case, you're talking about a delay of a few months at most, is that really so significant?

LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: BC or GW

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:31 pm

In answer to your questions:

I was waitlisted at BU, so right now it's not a reliable option.

My fiance is not an illegal immigrant, but here's the scoop according to our immigration lawyer. He's on an F1 visa, and you cannot get married on an F1 visa and travel out of the country. Apparently, that would violate the "intention to permanently immigrate" stipulation of an F1 visa when you reenter the country. However, if you have stayed in the country for over a year and happen to get married, you can just say that things have changed over time and you didn't violate the terms of your visa when you entered the country. So it's a matter of being accepted or rejected for a greencard.

As a female, I personally think 26 is kind of old if you want to start your career and have kids in your early 30's. Graduating when you're 30 is tough as a female. :-)

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: BC or GW

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:36 pm

Granted. But is 29 really that different than 30 (besides psychologically)?

nigelfrost
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: BC or GW

Postby nigelfrost » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:41 pm

rman1201 wrote:The opportunities from BC are even slightly better than from GW in general.


No.

To the OP, pick your favorite thought process:
You don't mind working in the mid-Atlantic --> Go to GW
You don't mind working in the Northeast --> Go to BC
You prize your long-term relationship over the negligible differences in employment prospects each school offers --> Go to BC to be with your fiance

Done.

LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: BC or GW

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:47 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. The reason I'm asking all of you guys because one of my law graduate friends told me that I was crazy and dumb for picking BC over GW and that I'd have few job options coming out of BC. So I wanted to hear other opinions.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: BC or GW

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:In answer to your questions:

I was waitlisted at BU, so right now it's not a reliable option.

My fiance is not an illegal immigrant, but here's the scoop according to our immigration lawyer. He's on an F1 visa, and you cannot get married on an F1 visa and travel out of the country. Apparently, that would violate the "intention to permanently immigrate" stipulation of an F1 visa when you reenter the country. However, if you have stayed in the country for over a year and happen to get married, you can just say that things have changed over time and you didn't violate the terms of your visa when you entered the country. So it's a matter of being accepted or rejected for a greencard.

As a female, I personally think 26 is kind of old if you want to start your career and have kids in your early 30's. Graduating when you're 30 is tough as a female. :-)


the following is not legal advice, i'm not your lawyer, i'm not even a lawyer, and i definitely didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night:

when you get married and he files his I-465 he will effectively lose his F1 visa status and would be unable to re-enter the country, but he should file a request for advance parole (I-131) which would allow him re-entry while he is applying for adjustment. it doesn't really matter that he's violating the stipulations of the F1 visa...shit, he could have graduated years ago, be living here on an expired visa, marry you, and still get his green card. i would get a second opinion.

edit: i should note that i'm assuming you're a USC

LSATNightmares
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Re: BC or GW

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:01 pm

I am a USC. Yeah, that may certainly be the case with the visa, but our situation doesn't quite fit into that scenario (it's really complicated, which is why we hired a lawyer and one recommended by Harvard's international office.) But thanks. :-)

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: BC or GW

Postby tea_drinker » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:01 pm

I don't think GW does any better than BC in terms of government job placement, since a majority of government jobs likely goes to t-14 grads anyway.

I'll take nigelfrost's advice. Think about plan B if you could not get a government job, where do you want to be?

Edit for clarity

User avatar
rman1201
Posts: 959
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: BC or GW

Postby rman1201 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:08 pm

nigelfrost wrote:
rman1201 wrote:The opportunities from BC are even slightly better than from GW in general.


No.

Done.


http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108528
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/law%20schools_charts_page12.pdf
BC > GW on both of those data sets.

Looking at just government + NLJ we get
BC: 46.47%
GW: 42.5%

Not to mention GW is in an oversaturated weak legal market that competes with GULC, UVA, and the rest of the T14 whereas BC only truly competes with BU for Boston.

Care to cite the data behind your resounding "No."?
*I don't even like BC*

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: BC or GW

Postby fatduck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:22 pm

LSATNightmares wrote:I am a USC. Yeah, that may certainly be the case with the visa, but our situation doesn't quite fit into that scenario (it's really complicated, which is why we hired a lawyer and one recommended by Harvard's international office.) But thanks. :-)


fair enough, obviously i don't know all the relevant details. just wanted to make sure you weren't getting screwed over as there are a lot of incompetent immigration attorneys out there.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: BC or GW

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:20 am

BC FTW.

User avatar
Moral_Midgetry
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: BC or GW

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:24 am

BC and don't look back.

Skyhook
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

Re: BC or GW

Postby Skyhook » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:45 am

nigelfrost wrote:To the OP, pick your favorite thought process:
You don't mind working in the mid-Atlantic --> Go to GW
You don't mind working in the Northeast --> Go to BC
You prize your long-term relationship over the negligible differences in employment prospects each school offers --> Go to BC to be with your fiance

Done.


Without knowing the circumstances of your relationship it's sensible to not assume the best scenario. The tough part comes from showing genuine relationship, so see if what follows is relevant. I'm not a lawyer, but I went through the immigration process, albeit in different circumstances to yours.

I believe that once you are married your husband will be able to file for an IR1 and then adjust status whilst in the US, get working rights as your spouse and advanced parole to travel abroad. Your husband will be able to move to DC if you attend GW with working rights. (My situation was quite different, but I also had to adjust status whilst I was waiting for my LPR status to process.)
Your attorney should be able to confirm/deny the adjust status issue.

For LPR status you must demonstrate that your marriage is real.
You guys intend to marry, but you currently aren't living together. Have you ever lived together? Do you have joint assets? Do you have evidence of a truly long-term relationship? Vacations together even though you live apart, etc.
USCIS looks at everything hard and you want to make it easier for them to believe you.
Once an IR1 is filed it takes quite a bit of time to process and go through all the steps, so that is something that is favorable. However, it would be easier to show a genuine marriage if you've been living together for longer than the processing time.

It sounds like where you want to live in DC, and you would only go to Boston for the immigration issues. So, it boils down to whether he can move to DC with working rights and have a favorable outlook on the LPR status. I would have thought that you guys will be able to show mixing of funds and family life pretty easily if he is paying rent & living expenses whilst you go off to school :) !
If your attorney says the adjust status plan is dicey, then go to Boston. You want to marry this man and have a family. You'll still get a JD and have opportunities.

expat17
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: BC or GW

Postby expat17 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:57 am

sadly, this is something i've actually thought about more than i care to admit ...

i'm in that boat -how to compete with all tose 25 year olds when i graduate at 29??!!




[quote="LSATNightmares"]In answer to your questions:

I was waitlisted at BU, so right now it's not a reliable option.

My fiance is not an illegal immigrant, but here's the scoop according to our immigration lawyer. He's on an F1 visa, and you cannot get married on an F1 visa and travel out of the country. Apparently, that would violate the "intention to permanently immigrate" stipulation of an F1 visa when you reenter the country. However, if you have stayed in the country for over a year and happen to get married, you can just say that things have changed over time and you didn't violate the terms of your visa when you entered the country. So it's a matter of being accepted or rejected for a greencard.

As a female, I personally think 26 is kind of old if you want to start your career and have kids in your early 30's. Graduating when you're 30 is tough as a female. :-)[/quote]

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: BC or GW

Postby Informative » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:24 am

Category - Better School
Biglaw placement - Boston College
Government placement - GW
Midlaw placement - Boston College
Clerkships - Boston College
Chance to participate on a journal/Moot Court team - Boston College (see class sizes v. open spots)
National Reputation - Boston College
City - Toss up; personal preference
Cost of Living - Boston College

Skyhook
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:30 am

Re: BC or GW

Postby Skyhook » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:54 am



Informative wrote:Category - Better School
Biglaw placement - Boston College
Government placement - GW
Midlaw placement - Boston College
Clerkships - Boston College
Chance to participate on a journal/Moot Court team - Boston College (see class sizes v. open spots)
National Reputation - Boston College
City - Toss up; personal preference
Cost of Living - Boston College


Am I missing something here?
Using the data presented in the TLS thread:

GW - 25 clerks from a class of 506 ~ 5%
BC - 9 clerks from 255 ~3.5%

In what way does BC outperform GW?

If OP wants to go with clerking first before government, then surely GW?

Informative
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: BC or GW

Postby Informative » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:08 pm

If the OP wants government, they should go to GW regardless. If they want biglaw, then BC.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: BC or GW

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:20 pm

These schools are very comparable. Go to BC to be with your SO.

That being said, you can always wait a year. There is no difference between being 29 when you graduate and being 30 when you graduate.

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: BC or GW

Postby Teoeo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:22 pm

come to GW and marry me <3. But in all seriousness, go to BC.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: BC or GW

Postby rebexness » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:42 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: BC or GW

Postby BCLS » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:10 pm

BC > GW. I made the same choice. I chose BC and haven't looked back since :)




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest